PDA

View Full Version : Prepping for paint Properly!

rocketmerc
03-26-2007, 11:25 PM
Hi guys, I am totally loving this website. Anyway, I am prepping for paint. I am doing the zinc chromate etch, Epoxy primer, PPG Concept route for the product. This is a saltwater boat and the Xtra long shaft leg I just bought was on a moored boat (Barnacles on the trim & tilt Equip) The leg has minor barnacles. As I sand, I never realized just how much BITE a barnacle has on factory paint.

So...I want to remove the trim and tilt setup (150 Merc 2005 Xlong) From the leg and prep them seperate, then put back togeather. I purchased the Maintenance Manual 2" thick back to back. It doesn't show dissasembly!

Anyway when you guys do this kind of job, do you recommend working around the tilt and trim or do you re&re and make more work.

If the re&re is your recomendation, do you have a link to a better breakdown then my book...Merc's the best!

Scream And Fly
03-26-2007, 11:43 PM
Welcome to the site!

If you're looking to repaint the entire engine, it might be best to disassemble the entire assembly so it can be properly prepped. Which manual do you have - is it the Mercury manual?

Greg

rocketmerc
03-26-2007, 11:46 PM
Yes it is the "Mercury Service Manual" I agree, I'll remove the bottom end, already have the powerhead off..all that's no prob. But the Trim setup is a little touch and go for me. I don't want to have to replace the bearings in a perfectly working leg...but..I'm doing it right the first time. I'll dig into it more. I did find the mercury partsfinder by Serial# website, so I'm carefully looking at the pictures now. Thanks for reply.

Scream And Fly
03-26-2007, 11:55 PM
I'm looking at the 150EFI manual right now (assuming that's the engine you have) and there is a section for disassembling the midsection. It's not very comprehensive, but it appears good enough if you've never done it before. Did you see that part in the manual?

rocketmerc
03-27-2007, 12:25 AM
There is a section on "swivel bracket and steering" that is an exploded view diagram. No step by step. But..enough to get it done. It looks as if all I have to do is remove the Swivel pin and steering arm and she's a free leg..but with how technical this manuel is, I'm suprised not the complete re&re is outlined..thanks for the reply's!

150aintenuff
04-12-2007, 09:09 AM
if you want i have a fresh water 25" mid that just needs the new style ram installed to match your 2005 wiring, and a good cut and buff ill sell fairly cheep....

Fish
04-12-2007, 09:18 AM
Weclome to S&F rocketmerc. Does this help?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/makulaf/24.gif

rocketmerc
04-13-2007, 01:26 AM
Yes, that is a big help. But the day after I was posting questions I just went out and tore it down. Everything is off and is getting prepped for paint now. Prob wrong forum but do you think I would be increasing performance or decreasing by putting the can out of a 150 into a 135 leg, and a 135 powerhead (Mercury 2.0L Blackmax). I totally plan on eventually doing the carbs, reeds and jets up to a 150 level. But I'd really like to just paint and get this boat going for now.