PDA

View Full Version : Trailer lock purchase

TTriton
03-22-2007, 04:37 PM
I had a boat stolen two weeks ago and I have been researching locks and found this one..
http://www.etrailer.com/pc-~RA-25KA.htm?utm_source=shopzilla&utm_medium=ppc

It appears to be one fo the best that I have found. I want to know if anyone know if there is better or has a in to get them for a deal or if there is intrist for a group purchase.. If enough people are interested I would be willing to handle the purchase

Hottrucks
03-22-2007, 05:34 PM
Looks like a boot devise ??
depending on where and how you store it should depend on how you lock it....best thing to do is to chain to a post with a good quality lock with only enough shank to hook the chain.........also a ball hitch lock ...the more junk on it the less likely it will come up missing.. ..but trust me if I wanted it bad enough theres someone that will get it for me all you can do is detur them and hope they move on to easyier pray.....

HP
03-22-2007, 11:21 PM
Hey guy's, I have had the same concerns. I went to the local car alarm installer and had him connect my trailer to my truck alarm system. If disconected the truck alarm sounds off! just my 2 cents worth:D :D

TTriton
03-23-2007, 07:38 AM
thats a good idea... But won't work for me.. I need to lock up a trailer in long time storage in my yard..

Hottrucks
03-23-2007, 08:33 PM
take a 5 galom pail dig a hole and burry it after you fill it with concrete put an eye bolt ( long ) in it and when it hardeds put a chain threw it!!!!

whipper
03-23-2007, 08:41 PM
I have a big bolt cutter proof chain and lock. I string it threw the wheel and over and under the springs back to the outside of the wheel threw a differant hole. Cant beat it. You can buy them at securaty supply stores or just phone a security outfit and ak were you can get them.The chain is stainless with a special hardend treatment and the lock is the same but wieghs about 3 lbs and has just enough meat to lock the chain together. James

TTriton
03-23-2007, 09:32 PM
I like that lock.. I e-mailed them to get some more info and possible volume discount pricing.. I am interested in getting a bunch of them to protect all my business trailers..

Mastercraft241
03-25-2007, 11:24 AM
ttriton, if you get a deal on a big order, send me a pm. Im interested in that as well.

TTriton
03-25-2007, 12:31 PM
will do.. Once I know I will post info

Madpoodle
03-26-2007, 11:35 AM
I am a dealer for Hammerlock products.. Boot locks, high security chain and locks etc... If you guys want to do a group purchase, keep me in the loop and I'll work one out for you.. Assuming this is OK with the board owners..

Keep in mind the boot locks do not work with trailer brakes BTW...

Website isnt great,I'll try and get some digital pics of the boot lock and other stuff tomorrow...

http://www.hammerlock.com/

TTriton
03-26-2007, 03:10 PM
what is the price of the bootlock?

TTriton
03-26-2007, 03:19 PM
I just called the number on the website and got a price of 79.95 for a purchase of 20+ units.. I want to see some better pictures of them before I am sold on these.. But they are within a 45min drive from me so I could pick these all up to reduce shipping so anyone interested would just have the shipping from me to them..

Madpoodle
03-26-2007, 03:39 PM
Advantage of the hammerlock over the others pictured is that their shield covers all the lugnuts vs the others that cover a couple.. Lock that comes with the hammerlock is a Cisa, a very high security style lock that survives in the weather. Do NOT lose the keys :) :)

Madpoodle
03-26-2007, 03:45 PM
BTW, TT was quoted below my cost for these units.. We purchase smaller quantities at a time, so we do not get that big of a discount.. You will not find a better lock, nor a better price on them...

TTriton
03-26-2007, 03:50 PM
up for concideration for the lock are two.. THe main area to concider is weather or not you have brakes.. how many people are interested and do you have trailer brakes? On trailers with two axels you will probably just have brakes on the front so these should be able to be used on the rear axel.

Mastercraft241
03-27-2007, 02:34 PM
I currently just ordered a brand new aluminum tandem axel trailer with brakes on both axles(torsion). I want an effective yet easy lock to take off. Dont want to fuss around every time i need to move the trailer.

Madpoodle
03-27-2007, 03:22 PM
The square chain and a quality lock like a Cisa or Abloy are the best way to go with a trailer with brakes. "Some" wheels will permit you to run the chain through the spokes and around the frame, some won't. The ones that won't you need to fasten the chain to something solid.. Some of the folks here chain the boat to something solid and unhook the winch strap... Just please remember to unhook the chain before ya leave for the lake :eek: :eek:

towman2277
07-18-2007, 02:42 PM
When you lock your boat up, you'd better chain it to a tree. Around Mobile, thieves will steal that boat with that wheel lock EASY. They use a set of "Tow Dollys"...it lifts the axle completely off the ground within two minutes. I'm not sure if this method is common around all of you...but we have some "high tech" criminals around here. Heck, they steal $40,000 rigs all the time. If you put a tongue lock, they lay a welded piece of channel with coupler just below your locked tongue, and use u-bolts, and away they go with your rig. The only ones they CAN'T take are chained to trees, poles, etc.