PDA

View Full Version : ABYC and Merc wire colors.

1BadAction
02-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Amity Ray posted this in the Tech. Discussion and I thought it would be a good post to have over here for anyone has any quick questions on wire colors and doesnt have access to the parts manual at the time.

<table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td></tr><tr><td>Color</td><td>Where Used / Function</td></tr><tr><td>Black</td><td>All Ground</td></tr><tr><td>Brown</td><td>Reference Electrode MerCathode System</td></tr><tr><td>Orange</td><td>Anode Electrode MerCathode System</td></tr><tr><td>Lt. Blue/White Stripe</td><td>Trim UP Switch</td></tr><tr><td>
</td><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>Lt. Green/White Stripe</td><td>Trim DOWN Switch</td></tr><tr><td>Brown/White Stripe</td><td>Trim Sender to Trim Gauge</td></tr><tr><td>Purple/White Stripe</td><td>Trim "Trailer" Switch</td></tr><tr><td>Gray</td><td>Tachometer Signal</td></tr><tr><td>Black/Yellow Stripe</td><td>Shorting or Stop Circuit</td></tr><tr><td>Pink</td><td>Fuel Sender to Gauge</td></tr><tr><td>Red</td><td>Unprotected Wire from Battery</td></tr><tr><td>Red/Purple Stripe</td><td>Protected (Fused) Wire from Battery</td></tr><tr><td>Red/Purple Stripe</td><td>Protected (12 Volt +) to Trim Panel Control</td></tr><tr><td>Purple</td><td>Ignition (Switch) to 12 Volt Positive</td></tr><tr><td>Tan</td><td>Temperature Switch to Warning Horn</td></tr><tr><td>Tan</td><td>Temperature Sender to Temperature Gauge</td></tr><tr><td>Tan/Blue Stripe</td><td>Temperature Switch to Warning Horn</td></tr><tr><td>Yellow</td><td>Starter Solenoid to Starter Motor</td></tr><tr><td>Yellow</td><td>Starter to Regulator (Charging Circuit)</td></tr><tr><td>Yellow/Red Stripe</td><td>Start Switch to Start Solenoid to Neutral Start Switch</td></tr><tr><td>Yellow/Black Stripe</td><td>Choke (Enrichener System)</td></tr><tr><td>Green with Color Stripe</td><td>Switch Box to Coil - Striped and Numbered</td></tr><tr><td>White/Black Stripe</td><td>Bias Circuit (Switch Boxes)</td></tr><tr><td>
</td><td>
</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2">
The ABYC Recommended Colors

</td></tr><tr><td>Color</td><td>Where Used / Function</td></tr><tr><td>Yellow/Red</td><td>Starting Circuits</td></tr><tr><td>Brown/Yellow or Yellow</td><td>Bilge Blowers</td></tr><tr><td>Dark Grey</td><td>Navigation Lights & Tach Signals</td></tr><tr><td>Orange</td><td>Accessory Feeds</td></tr><tr><td>Brown</td><td>Pumps</td></tr><tr><td>Purple</td><td>Instrument Feeds</td></tr><tr><td>Dark Blue</td><td>Cabin and instrument Lights</td></tr><tr><td>Light Blue</td><td>Oil Pressure</td></tr><tr><td>Tan</td><td>Water Temperature</td></tr><tr><td>Pink</td><td>Fuel Gauge Sender</td></tr></tbody></table><!-- / message -->

Fast Fig
02-25-2007, 02:42 PM
I'm ABYC Certified, and according to the new standard solid yellow is now the color for common ground.

1BadAction
02-25-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm ABYC Certified, and according to the new standard solid yellow is now the color for common ground.

I seen that somewhere... I think Ancors site. They say its for boats with both AC and DC systems so you don't accidentally get the hot lead of AC confused with the negative side of DC. :eek: :D

Fast Fig
02-25-2007, 06:59 PM
That is one of the few things I agree with on the ABYC crap! So many of their changes are total crap.

150aintenuff
07-22-2007, 05:28 PM
That is one of the few things I agree with on the ABYC crap! So many of their changes are total crap.

true.. but 30A of 60 hz 120V sucks when ya try to wire it in to 12V DC cause some idiot ran the romex looking paired wires throught his boat cause it was what he had lying around... and forgot to mark anything.. somethings are a good thing...

TAXXIVADER
07-22-2007, 10:27 PM
so what about them japineese wires on zukis & yammys..:confused:

150aintenuff
07-22-2007, 10:44 PM
so what about them japineese wires on zukis & yammys..:confused:

the newer ones are comming somewhat standardized as far as harnesses are concerned due to NMMA and ABYC setting standards but as far as older ones its up to someone to make up and post a chart...

AirRide
02-02-2008, 08:01 AM
Interesting...yellow ground wires. Who'd a thought.:rolleyes:

150aintenuff
02-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Interesting...yellow ground wires. Who'd a thought.:rolleyes:
only on vessels with both AC and DC systems on board.... all others original standards apply so far.......