PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Towing Laws?

Propster
01-31-2007, 01:38 PM
I heard that Canada does not allow surge brakes for trailers over a certain weight (electric or air only) Is that true? If so, is there a max weight allowed to still use surge brakes. My boat on the trailer dry weighs 5700 lbs.

I am planning a trip to Canada this summer and need to make sure I can get in with the equipment I have.

DoktorC
01-31-2007, 01:47 PM
Laws are different in each province. Where are you travelling?

Propster
01-31-2007, 02:50 PM
I am travelling to the west coast of British Columbia for a poker run.

I went to the Canadian transport sites and could not find anything.

DoktorC
01-31-2007, 02:54 PM
I found this...specifically for BC. I would think you're fine unless you're running Verados ;).

Recreational Vehicle Towing

Brake Requirements
All trailers and towing dollies (car dollies) must have brakes on all wheels when their GVW (trailer/dolly and load) exceeds 1,400 kg (3,086 pounds). Every trailer with brakes must have a breakaway device hooked to the trailer brake system.
Surge brakes must be used when towing a vehicle that has a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of up to and including 2,800 kg (6,173 pounds).
From 2,800 kilograms and up the towed vehicle brakes must be able to be applied by the driver of the tow vehicle.
Motorhomes (only) may tow motor vehicles via a tow bar without brakes hooked up on the towed motor vehicle, when the towed motor vehicle's laden weight (weight of towed vehicle and its load) is:
less than 2,000 kg (4,409 pounds), and
less than 40% of the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the motorhome towing it.
Motor vehicles with a laden weight of 2,000 kg and over towed by a motorhome must have brakes and breakaway device hooked up.

Preparing to tow
The vehicle on tow must have valid licensing and insurance.
Only one (1) trailer may be towed at a time (a car dolly with car are regarded as one trailer).
All vehicle being towed via a ball hitch must have safety chain(s) or cable(s).
A recreational vehicle towed via a 5th wheel hook-up does not require safety chains or cables
All vehicles being towed must have lights connected to the towed vehicle.

Propster
01-31-2007, 04:45 PM
Thanks DoktorC, that is what I was looking for.

My boat weighs 5700 lbs empty, probably 6400 lbs with 80 gallons of fuel and gear, so I am right at the limit. If they don't weigh it on the border, I might be able to show them the slip from the scales.

MattGreen
02-06-2007, 12:37 AM
Bring LOTS o'cash for the ferry, assuming you're trailering over to Vancouver Island.....

What club is organizing this ?
Matt

bostoncan
02-10-2007, 08:01 PM
Propster, I have never heard of anyone being weighed at the border ,but if your worried go thru Peace Arch not the truck crossing . What poker run are you going to ?If its Harrison you could go thru Sumas.

gfinch
02-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Passports too, I believe. But only if you want to come back.

Riverman
02-11-2007, 12:09 AM
No passports needed yet. Unless you are checking the boat as baggage. :)

whipper
02-11-2007, 04:31 AM
There is a scale just after you come threw the boarder there.Just dont stop there and know one will give a hoot. Ive gone that way several times and the one time I stoped at the scale to check my straps and the scale guy there was go go gaget scaler man!! He loved his job way to much! Know one in B.C. is going to bother you at all towing a boat! Towing an MTR will get you attention but its the kind you like.;) Whens the Poker Run and were? Kelowna has a great Poker Run DCB and others make it up for that one its on Lake Okanogan!!! If youve never been to Kellowna its worth the trip in july or Aug. Its always 100deg and kinda like a better lake Havask in Arizona if I spelled that right they even have rattle snakes its so hot there.Lots of Cougers and other larger hot boats that go 100+.A great place to boat and party!!!!The lake is like 100miles long or something like that. I live in the centeral part of B.C. but was born and raised in Nanaimo on the Island a nother great place to be but mainly ocean running there. James

Boz
02-11-2007, 09:16 AM
I've been offered a transfer to work out of Nanaimo/Victoria. Are there enough fresh water lakes to make taking my Venus worth while?

whipper
02-12-2007, 07:01 AM
To be honest No.You would be much happier with a 21-24 SKATER!!! There are lakes up in Duncan mid between Vic and Nan one called Lake Cowachen {spell} and in Port Alberni called Sprout Lake that one is huge.The lakes are nice and there are quite a few but the inland waters of the Strait are were you will want to be!! Endless exploring and wide open spaces. You will be fine for a while but the whole Island is geared towards the notical theme. I gota go to work Ill talk to ya latter.James

Boz
02-12-2007, 07:28 AM
I'd be living in Duncan and just spent three weeks at the Ocean Front Resort in Lake Cowichan while I was on the island working.

Thanks for getting back to me.

whipper
02-13-2007, 02:01 AM
I am a 5th gen Islander and I wish I was going back there I miss the Island dearly. We head back to Nanaimo for 1 month every Aug since I moved to the Interior. You can boat almost all year round there!!!! The lakes are nice as I said and there are lots of little lakes and a far few larger ones but the gulf islands and in and around the Nanaimo water front also Victoria is world Class boating!! Your Venus will work on good days but to really enjoy the ocean you need something with a little more freeboard as not to get cought out there and trying to limp back. I would much rather relish the occation to get some air time!!! A Progression,Activator,Skater,Velocity,or even a Concept center consol. I realy like the CC style of the Concept boats.They are so versitile for that area.You can fish outa them,go fast,load people aboard and when shes nasty out there its nice to stand up to obsorpe the shock from wave jumping. Any thing with some free board 21-24 would be perfict but in a high performance kinda way for sure! The summers there are unbelieveable. You are very fortunate to be able to work there.Have you been to long beach on the west coast?One of many must sees! 10 foot rollers breaking on the sandy beaches with surfers every were!In Parksville only a 30 min to 40 min drive from Drunken Duncen Ha Ha theres a beach called Rathtreaver Beach the tide goes out for a whole mile of sandy beach great for the Kids to build castles and fly a kite and stuff. Keep in touch as I can tell you a million places that only some one born and raised there could tell you about. Places that are still hush hush.like the bor hole at Nanaimo River and white rapids,Pipers Lagoon,Cape Scott Trail {better than the west coast trail and free}, Newcastle Island park,Caves at Horn lake,the devils bath,Scooner cove,5 fingers,the best fishing holes like at slack tide only in Dods Narrows,lunch spots on the water like the diggy dock on Protection Island,and the resort on Gabriola Island you just pull up with your boat and grab an umbrella on the deck kinda spots,the list goes on. Im editting this because I noticed in one of your other post your not perhaps going to live there full time?how long do you think youll be on the Island? The guy from Vic is right about the ratio your not going to believe how many time a night if ya try hard if ya know what I mean :eek: Victoria is a great place to party if your on your own but if your with a buddy Nanaimo has plenty to offer also in the way of night life.Drunken Duncun is borring.Whistler is great, a little klicky, and a pain in the but to get there.If you like skiing, in Comox an hour drive north Mt Washington ski resort has just as good skiing as whistler pretty much just not as large off course but a great place youll love it. Also there are lots of concerts that come to Nan and Vic as well as Van so check to see whos comming to town. There are lots of events that happen on the Island thats your best bet to really get to meet some people. Check with the local city hall they will steer you in the right direction in regards to events,Also the bulliten boards hear and there.Thing dont realy start to pick up till around the end of March into April. A great day drive is to long Beach though bring a girl with ya its beutifull there Even for a guy!!:) Make reservations at the Wikanimish Inn for dinner at long beach after a long day you will remember it the rest of your life!! If you do stay the night Toffino or in Ucullit{spell} have reasonable rates off season.You cant go there with out eating at the Wikanimish Inn very inportant make the res for when you still have some daylight into sunset!! Go with some one you like only.To nice a day to wast on a skank:D If your in Nanaimo find out from the locals were Pipers Lagoon is its a great place to go for a walk also. Its off of Hamond Bay RD. Departure Bay is a great place to park and sit for a while or just think.Its on Departure Bay rd thats my road my dads place was the first house on that road back in the 30,s and he still lives there lot #1. You will be doing a lot of that on the Island, thinking and walking very Layed back!! Just soak it all in man its the best place on earth and thats a fact!! Find all the water front places to go see thats your best bet.Vic has a great water front in town and over at Brentwood. Nan has a promanade that has resterants and stuff in town all so just find parking around the Bastion thats that old fort looking thing with canons sticking out off it. Any way lol and keep in touch Ive rambled on way to long sorry about that.Print this out or Jot down the places because it would take you years to find out about some off them. James

Riverman
02-13-2007, 09:05 AM
I spent 6 months on the island, in Port Alberni. What a hole. Everything whipper said is true, although the winter I was there Mt. Washington was open I day the whole season! :eek:

whipper
02-13-2007, 09:19 AM
haha Port has allways been that to most.:D Mt Washinton has 282cm base today. That was probably the only year like that. I can remember 700cm bases up there wow! Did you go to Sprout Lake Riverman. Thats the only thing Port has to offer. Great lake home of the biggest water bombers on earth.Cameron Lake on the way to Port is nice to but cold thats the one just before Cathedral Grove were those big ass ceaders are and the highway winds beside it. James

Riverman
02-13-2007, 09:36 AM
That was in 80-81. I saw Sproat Lake but did not boat on it. I remember Cameron too, but I remember it being small, I may be wrong. I know Sproat isn't small with those Martin Mars on there. Never did see one fly.

The fellow I lived with was a sailor. He had a 36 cedar schooner at Schooner Cove and a small open sailboat in the chuck in town. We had a lot of fun in that little boat, I remember the water was bright purple in places behind the pulp mill!

The focus in those days was not boats, it was chicks. :D

whipper
02-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Its orange now! Ya cameron is a mile to mile and a half long. They had those Mars out quite a bit in the last two years with the big forest fires around. 81 thats when I graduated I used to go to port to play junuior hackey lots played for the Nan clippers. 83-84 my skipper had an old wood trawler morred at Deep bay I deck handed for a couple of seasons.After that went to Port Hardy and got married and moved to Prince George in 87!! I sure miss the Island up hear the winters are so cold ya just wait for the ice to came off on Aplril 19 every year that sucks!Im going to retire back on the Island for sure sooner or latter. Keep my Allison for skiing and get a 25ft Concept with twin 300s for fishing in the chuck or something like that. James

Boz
02-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Thank you very much for that great post!
I'm in a real quandry here. I am meeting with managers tomorrow who are expecting me to tell them what's going on. It's rush situation based on the number of storm claims out there and they really need me (or someone) to go.
I'm a single 36 yr. old without any kids but am really tight w/ family here.

It's gorgeous on the Island and would be an awesome gig, even if it was just for a couple of years. I've never had a decision this tough in my life!!

Two months free accomodations, free car rental for two months w/ gas, and then a flight home to move me out there.

I haven't a flippin clue what to do. My summers here are pretty much ideal with a cottage etc.

Riverman
02-13-2007, 11:53 PM
That's not a decision man, get your head out of your ass! New friends, boating connections, Little Qualicum Falls, Schooner Cove, the frikken' weather? You've got everything to gain. What you have in River City will be here at the end of a phone line. For cripes sake, Mt. Washington has a 300cm base right now!

What should we do today? Water ski, golf, sled, deep sea fish, fly fish, fast boat, sailbote, snowboard, what, can't decide?????

So decide. I rest my case.

MattGreen
02-14-2007, 01:17 AM
The weather in that area is pretty decent (certainly relative to where you are right now !), and the boating is damn good. Remember boating is an 8+ month activity out here in Lotusland.

I'm agonizing over a similar move, but the opposite direction (BC to Sarnia), and a similar living situation - tough calls to make !

Good luck,

Matt

whipper
02-14-2007, 02:20 AM
36 and singal! you dont know me and I dont know you. Ill tell you a story.When I was 23 I was thinking about moving with my girl friend to were Im at right now, Prince George. She had already moved up hear and I was flying up every couple of weeks to visit. I was at a family gathering and a rich uncle of mine said to me James I have been around the world several times and I can aford to live any were in the world I please.I have yet to find anywere as great a place to be than right hear on Vancouver Island. I never forgot that and probably never will.I comuted for 2 years before leaving to Prince George to be with my now wife of 18 years. We got married on the Island though.I to this day not regret being with my wife but for ever leaving the Island. That was the biggest mistake of my life. I am happy hear dont get me wrong but I know the quality of live I had on the island cant be had anywere else that I have ever been since.My wife works for the airlines so we travel a lot and every year we go to the Island with the kids and spend a month doing all the things I used to do and every day is something differant.Look at it as an adventure you realy like was said have nothing to loose only gain.Trust me on this you may feel the safety zone were your at but once your settled in on the Island you will relish things that you never thought possable.The people are soooo great their and cottage country, well thats the whole entire Island is cottage country! I would quit my job and sell my Allison to go back to a good job on the Island if my wife and I could boath do it together and have the same pay as we do hear in a heart beat! I will be be back soon though freedom 52 at the latest.Dont over think it, its a opportunity you may never get again for the rest of your life. Ask your boss for a two year deal with the option of staying if things work out for the best.That way go threw two years of seasons and realy get a feel for the life style.Then you can decide after that were you would rather be.I truly believe it will be no contest. Jameshttp://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h151/whipperr/newcastle1.jpghttp://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h151/whipperr/long_beach.jpg http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h151/whipperr/1767685_photographic_reminisces-600.jpg http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h151/whipperr/P-2002-.jpg

Boz
02-14-2007, 07:26 AM
Oh boy..................

Riverman
02-14-2007, 09:00 AM
Whipper and I have spoken. We've both been there, we know. Do it ya big homo!