PDA

View Full Version : Another Hyrdostream project!!!!!

AquaHolic24
04-24-2002, 12:47 AM
Hey all, new to the board here, figured after so long of just browsing, I'd get in on it all.....
First off, I am looking to restore the 80' Vector I have.. Was running her last summer, finally found a prop that seemed to work well wityh the setup, a 30" Raker, Rpm's over 6500, felt fast as hell! Ego Boosting speedo' was pinned at 75, so who knows what I was up to. Anyway, the gelcoat wasn't quite up to the task, lost a large section of it off the hull, so now I want to do a complete restoration, recore, floor, possibly transom if wet, and new Gel on botton.. I would like to undergo the process myself, just to be able to do it myself.. I have worked here and there with gel and Fiberglass and such, but not quite suh a large project. Is there anywhere available that I could get info on what materials to use, maybe where to start, ect ect... I remember a while back Scream and Fly was following projects such as these, where can i find them? How detailed were they? Well, probably many more questions to come, any help would be greatly appreciated...
Not to concerned on how long this will take, since I picked up a pretty sound Laser Mod V to use when the Streams' layed up.. Does anyone have any info, or know where I can get more info on Laser boats? specs, wieghts, ect.. What can be ezpected out of the hull/engine combo I have? It has a Evinrude, 91' XP 150, with 200 heads on it.. Mild work done to engine, reeds, tuner, ect. sits on a CMC 6" Hydrolic Jackplate, nohave a 23 " prop for now, not sure what to look for in the way of top end props, any ideas? What should I expect from this rig? Next season, I will be giving the Vector the little evinrude, and looking for a newer Merc, 2.5 or whatnot.... for now, I will play with it as is...
Thanks for any help here too, catch ya'll later,
~Tony~:confused: :confused: :confused:

patchesII
04-24-2002, 10:03 PM
go to the top of the board and click on search. put in your keywords and you'll have enough reading material to keep you busy for 2 days. there have been some real good threads on both of your subjects. to answer your laser question, if the hull does not have a waterlogged, rotten floor and water soaked foam throughout i would expect speeds to be in the low to mid 70's pretty easy. took the top cap off of 87 laser ltv yesterday.floor was rotten,all the foam in the sponsons was soaked, and the transom needs replaced.wish me luck on my new project. gonna strip the boat as light as i can get it for a play toy. good luck and good reading, erik kiser. p.s. just noticed your 150's not stock. guessing closer to 80 maybe a little better.

Boaterbum
04-25-2002, 11:26 AM
This is Tony again, NEW NAME, changed it so not to get confused with Randy.......
Anyway, thanks for the info, will be printing a bunch of matreial for reading at work!
As for the Laser, the floor was just replaced last winter, the hull was PERFECTLY straightened, and the foam and transon were inspected and said to be all good! A friend of mine owned it, and is close to the guiys that owned her before him, has pics of all the workdone and all, so it is a pretty solid boat... I'll setle for the 70's to 80's figure for now, next year, REPOWER!!!!!!!!
Good luck on the project, I will be int he same situatin with the Vector......
~Tony~:D

dwr
05-03-2002, 12:41 PM
Concerning the HydroStream, if you have not done so already have a look at the rebuild articles on the www.hydrostream.org site. They will give you some idea of what's involved. It is a lot of work to rebuild one. Cost for materials would be about $1000.

I would guess that your gelcoat loss was a result of structural failure. Expect the stringers and core to be rotted. Actually the more rotted the better: removing a partially rotted balsa core is really difficult. Totally rotted is easy to scrape out.

enjoy

dwr

KOMotion
05-31-2002, 03:54 PM
I am currently restoring a '78 vector in Lake Mills.
Just a short drive west of Milwaukee if you want to take a peek.
I have the floor and core completely removed.
Picked up my materials from a boat builder in town.
Just need time to put it back together.
None of the work was too difficult just dirty and time consuming.

Boaterbum
06-01-2002, 12:22 AM
Hey, that'd be great if I could swing up there sometime, have to let me know where about ya are, I know where Lake Mills is, just never been very far into there, just to the gas stations off the interstate! Would like to know what and where ya got the materials and whatnot, maybe get some inpu on what NOT to do! lol
Email me at tonydwopp@aol.com
Catch ya later,
~Tony~