PDA

View Full Version : Snell Helmet

MODVP22
04-23-2002, 07:02 PM
Does anyone have any information on Snell helmets? I got one in a deal and would like to find out how to get a tinted visor for it, and find out what paints are OK to use on it. Anyother info about how good a Snell helmet really is. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.:D

Cp
04-23-2002, 07:16 PM
....doesn't manufacture helmets. Snell is a safety standard. Your helmet is probably 'snell approved' or some such designation, but you need to look a little closer to see who really made it.

Cp

MODVP22
04-23-2002, 07:18 PM
It said Snell on it in big letters, lol, so I figured that's who makes it. It also says SHOE or SHOIE, don't know on the exact spelling. I don't know much about helmets, onlyever heard of Bell and Simpson, so like I said, any info will be appreciated

Cp
04-23-2002, 07:22 PM
...try:

http://www.shoeihelmets.com/

Cp

MODVP22
04-23-2002, 07:41 PM
Thanks CP, I really appreciate it

Techno
04-23-2002, 09:03 PM
As far as I know you can't paint any helmet. Anything chemically can alter the plastic and the strength of your after market skull.

Those who paint them just take the risk. Actually I think its a ask the manuufacturer thing.
I think the tinted deal is $40?

There is some snell link somewhere. But Snell was a guy who died wearing a helmet in the '50s. His family was pissed so they started a foundation to test helmets and apply an outside approval label. DOT is tested by the manufacter and is not spot tested. It is also an old test that was only supposed to last a year until they came up with a permanant one. They don't pull helmets and test them, Snell does.
If a manufacturer has a Snell sticker it means its passed a series of test, both done in house and by Snell and is under spot inspection too. They may ask the manufacture for test helmets or get them right from a store.

I think at the time of his death there was no testing. Build a helmet and sell it. So I bet there are quite a few lives saved from his families decision.

BTW if the helmet was ever used in an accident it is no longer a protective helmet, its designed to crush to absorb shock. The same for scratches and cracks.
Think of like an air bag, one time use.

MODVP22
04-23-2002, 09:14 PM
Thanks for all the insight guys. I am going to call Shoie tomorow and ask them about paint and new visors, they haev some cool ones on their website. I heard that you can paint helmets as long as it's a special kind of paint, I know laquor isn't one of them, lol. We'll see what they tell me, might end up being vynal graphics. This helmet was never in an accident, just has a few scratches from rolling around in the boat.
thanks
Gosh I'm learning a lot

BarryStrawn
04-23-2002, 10:21 PM
The Snell Memorial Foundation is online at http://www.smf.org and is named for Pete Snell. His friends started the foundation. All their specs and procedures are published online for anyone who wants to understand helmets better.

Another safety standards organisation with real information is http://www.sfifoundation.com. You will also come across the SFI certifications on a lot of motorsports equipment including helmets. A few of their specifications are online but most must be purchased.