PDA

View Full Version : Checkmate Prop Selection

aaron bjerke
06-01-2001, 01:00 PM
I have a starflight with 200 xri 2.5 merc and jackplate. I can currently spin a 23p tempest plus 65-6600 rpm. I am looking to buy a chopper prop and am wondering if i can spin the 26 vs the 24? has anyone out there done any foolin around with that similar combination?

84exciter
06-01-2001, 07:26 PM
do you have access to either prop?is the jack hyd. or man?do you have low water pickups?those questions would help everyone give you advice
drew

pinbuoy
06-01-2001, 08:58 PM
Assuming you have a hydraulic jackplate and low-water pickups, a Mazco RE-3 works well. I would suggest a 24 or 26 pitch with your powerplant. Another choice would be a 24 or 26 Chopper(big ear). If you don't have a Hydraulic plate and pickups, many Starflite owners around me run a 23 Laser II, or a 24 Raker. The Laser and Raker props provide decent all around performance. The Mazco and Chopper are primarily top-end and cruising props. The ideal set-up for this hull is a minimum of 10 inches of setback, with the propshaft anywhere from 1-2 inches below the pad at WOT. If you hang your motor back more than 10 inches, you'll need to check the integrity of your transom and possibly add support.

pinbuoy
'89 Starflite 2.5/245

aaron bjerke
06-01-2001, 09:47 PM
Yes, I forgot. I have a 92 starflight with hydraulic cmc jack and hydraulic steering. the motor is pretty much stock and I am just getting into this high performance boating thing. I live way up north so we have all kinds of time to work on them during the winter. I am looking to refinish the boat this winter, add some setback and maybe shave & CC the heads. I dont think i would do much more after that. I would be better off buying a pro max or 2.5 280, although a 300 promax is a definite alternative?

06-02-2001, 06:30 AM
Check your tachometer, either it's reading high or you are spinning a lower pitch prop than you think. 65-6600 rpm is 1,000 higher than that motor is designed to spin. On that big a boat, with a 200 stock fishing motor and a 23 Tempest you should be in the mid 5k tach range. JW

steve
06-14-2001, 11:39 PM
My suggestion would be a Trophy small hub rather then the chopper. You won't see more then a mph diff and the Trophy will run much better ( better lift)and have better handling PLUS you can jack the motor a little higher on the transom if you want. They like to run pretty high. On a heavier hull the Trophy is real hard to beat for all around performance.
I also have a high 5 for sale--25P large hub, I'll loan it to you if you pay shipping both ways and a deposit. They work well too but the Trophy is probably better.
Also its probably OK if you spin your motor to 6500, the rod bolts should be fine and the crank, pistons , rings will be fine. If you go higher , you may wish to remove the oil inj gear and premix and the pistons may not like it either. Check the rpm on your tach with another tach . Also if you gave us a GPS reading its easy to figure approx REAL rpm if you know your prop is pitched fairly close to what its actually rating at. Get some sure numbers and you'll have a better baseline to start from. Have fun boating. Steve

steve
06-14-2001, 11:48 PM
Here's what I get FYI ---
6500rpm
1.87 ratio
23P
10% slip ( thats probably low)
68.1 mph

A 26 P will put you around 6grand or a bit under and maybe pick up a few mph. Trophy props I have run seem to run tight so if you do try one go with a 25P. My opinion only. Steve

http://www.rbbi.com/folders/prop/propcalc.htm

aaron bjerke
06-15-2001, 05:27 PM
Thanks, I had a high five and sold it. I do a lot better with the 23p tempest. I am trying a 26p chopper II large ear this weekend. I will let you know what i get?

Tks

popeyebob
06-28-2001, 05:09 PM
I have a CheckMate 21' StarFlight,setup like you'rs. The BEST prop I have found is a Yamaha m-23(23p Pro)
I had John at D.A.H. blueprint it,and it is WONDERFULL.I get tremendous bow lift,and can jack it up high.I turn it 6200 rpm at a gps indicated 68 mph.There might be more left yet !I have a m-25(pro) I am going to have John do it next.I can spin it at the same rpm,and speed,so I think there is some potential there.I have a 1989-200 hp MERC, with 11" setback,on a C.M.C. jackplate.Oil injection is gone,reed's and louvers,stack's.Boat is red with white and black.

aaron bjerke
06-29-2001, 07:12 AM
Thanks Popeye, I tried the 26 p big ear chopper to no avail. It seems that i get a lot more bow lift with the tempest plus prop. Is it worth having that prop worked?

popeyebob
06-29-2001, 07:29 AM
Hi AARON. All I can recomend is to call John Janiky at D.A.H. pro peller(Burlington WI.) and talk to him.The man is all over the high performance thing,and he really know's his trade.If you can give him accurate number's,he can make it happen for you.Call him at 262-534-4440.He is a wealth of knowledge,and gives it freely.

SCT
06-29-2001, 04:10 PM
Arron,
I've been running a new 23 Pitch Mirage Plus on my Checkmate Pulsare/w Merc 225EFI. I really like the extra cup on the plus prop compared to the straight Mirage. Has you well know, the Mates are a little heavy in the bow compared to most go fast boats. But this new Plus prop really held the bow alot better and the handling improved on the top end for me. Also, I was under propped running a straight 23 Mirage but with the plus the rpms are right around 6000. So if you know of someone that has one you could borrow to try out.....I would recommend it.

I throttle back for Bajas'

SCT

06-30-2001, 07:32 AM
SCT: If you are at 6,000 rpm with a motor that is designed to turn 5,000-5,800 (per the Mercury web site), you SHOULD get better top speed at lower rpms if you go up a pitch with that model prop you like.

Aaron, same for you, but you need to go up a FEW inches of pitch, bring that motor back down to below 6,000 where it belongs. Mercury has rpm limits for two reasons, one is to make the motor very reliable, and the other is to keep the motor in it's designed power band. You are way above the power band on that motor at 6500 rpm. You are spinning it like it's a 200 Promax, not a regular 200 fishing motor. The 200 Xri is ported to have best power at around 5600 - 5800 rpm.

SCT
07-01-2001, 08:13 AM
HI JW,

How's it going? Thanks for the MI trvel tips. We had a nice time in Muskegon but didn't make it to Bay City for the races. Did you make it over? I'm taking good care of your Pulsare until you decide to come pick it up!!!!! (I even blew the carbon out of it yesterday.)
What I meant to state on my prop post was that the straight Mirage was running close to 6000rpm (and I didn't have a 25 to try out.)but the 23 plus Mirage is running roughly 100-200 rpm lower. (Like you said, where it should be.) I haven't noticed a top end increase, but the handlimg is great with the plus. I don't think it would turn a 25 Mirage plus. Are you going to make it to Ruble on the River?

SCT

07-01-2001, 05:28 PM
Probably not going to the Rumble, when and where is it anyway?
I'd like to go, but the family does a good job holding me back :D
So what did you get to do in Muskegon? I was going to e-mail you and ask, but vacation has kept me busier than a one legged man in an ass-kicking contest.
You KNOW I'm wanting that Pulsare! I'm thinking my perfect Pulsare is the 2100 closed bow, with the bow area cut out and the furniture of the 2100BR installed up front. I like the full dash of closed bow boats, with the versitality of the open bow. Then I'd have someone make me a hard bow cover like Canadian Chris did on his nice Pulsare. I see he's lowered his price from $23,500 down to $19,900........

aaron bjerke
07-02-2001, 07:10 AM
Thanks guys, Yes, it changes, when i run the 23p tempest plus prop without anyone in the boat other than me, i can spin it over 200-400 rpms extra. When there is a full load, it works great. I should either have it worked or go up to a 24 or 25p ?

steve
07-02-2001, 07:17 AM
Guys, like I mentioned earlier , the Trophy should work exceptionally well on your hulls. Run it without a nosecone and run it high. There are 3 versions. Only the very early version or the newest one with replacable vents works best. Also here is another post with a similar boat for you to look at. The 4 blade Yamaha copy mentioned in this post is another good suggestion. A Preditor 4 blade (similar to a Trophy) may work well too. Here's the other post URL in case you missed it. Cut and paste. take care. Steve-->>>>>>>>>
http://forums.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?threadid=2127

ianz
07-04-2001, 02:32 PM
You rig sounds very similar to mine

I have a 1989 Spectra 201 with a 1997 225 3 Litre Merc. This is the second motor on my Grey with Black and burgundy stipe checkmate. I have about 9.5 inches of set back and currently run a 25p Tempest. On a GPS I am running between 69-71 depending on gas and passengers.

I still think that check's are a great boat and I would buy another anyday!!!

Ian