PDA

View Full Version : Tom Tom or lap top???

Hottrucks
01-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Ok Ive seen the tom tom version But has anyone used or seen the version you put on you lap top???
You get a gps reciever that plugs into your USB port and down load you street info and run the program as you go....

thing is TOM TOM is $5oo
the lap top program is under a $100

In case you need to see it??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-Streets-and-Trips-2007-with-GPS-Locator_W0QQitemZ330070434930QQihZ014QQcategoryZ73361QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The Big Al
01-06-2007, 10:12 PM
My son uses it in his REPO Buisness. He has a laptop in his truck.

Laptop gives bigger display and more options. He uses Mocrosoft Street.

AL

A Fn Noob
01-07-2007, 02:25 AM
If its software you're after, just download it through Bittorrent. Unless you are morally opposed to such activities. I like to try before I buy. And if its something ridiculously expensive that I couldnt ever afford to buy, like the latest AutoCads, etc then they're not losing out on any action from me anyway so....

But a laptop is a bitch to lug around in the car. I could see it getting ruined real quick on a boat.

I got Streets & Trips for 100 last year just for the reciever bundled with it, was a rebranded Pharos unit that typically goes for sometimes double that. MS just buys a few hundred thousand, and gives them away with the software at cost. Thats one way to deter software piracy I guess!

Hottrucks
01-07-2007, 08:11 AM
I think that Noob has something I'm afraid the cost of the reciever may be as much as the whole program with receiver. I guess I just need to know if on set of softwaare id better than the other. As far as using it in the boat it's not what I'm looking for more of a toy in the truck since I get around alittle...

Bruster
01-07-2007, 09:07 AM
Ok Ive seen the tom tom version But has anyone used or seen the version you put on you lap top???
You get a gps reciever that plugs into your USB port and down load you street info and run the program as you go....

thing is TOM TOM is $5oo
the lap top program is under a $100

In case you need to see it??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-Streets-and-Trips-2007-with-GPS-Locator_W0QQitemZ330070434930QQihZ014QQcategoryZ73361QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have the Delorme Earthmate on my laptop. I use it all the time. Detail is so good you can tell which lane on the X-way you are going down, and you have a big enough screen to see at a glance. I used it to go from Michigan to Ft Lauderdale and drove right to the address I was looking for like I had been there a dozen times. You can zoom in so close it makes you wonder..... For the ~$100 @ Best Buy or Circut City, this is a no brainer.

Amazon.com for $79 http://tinyurl.com/y64u47

riot280
01-07-2007, 09:56 AM
A friend of mine who drives ( runs open board ) uses a laptop with street & trips. He says its dead on. I would have one but I know where I"m going.:D

Kevin

81hydrostream
01-07-2007, 10:31 AM
I have used a laptop before, but I just got a TOMTOM 910 and I have to say it is very nice. Does not take up any room in the car. Im not 100% sure but the laptop version that I used did not talk were my tomtom does.

Bruster
01-07-2007, 11:38 AM
I have used a laptop before, but I just got a TOMTOM 910 and I have to say it is very nice. Does not take up any room in the car. Im not 100% sure but the laptop version that I used did not talk were my tomtom does.

The Delorme laptop talks (you can turn it OFF) + you can add info to the maps. I would think the laptop version would be a little more featured as it's using a PC as a patform. Updates sent via e-mail directly to the computer etc. The screen size of the laptop is a big feature when you need to glance at the screen (at 75 mph) to see where you are, especially when you're running a split screen (1 large area map and 1 detail street level map). The Tomtom or Garmin (I've used the Garmin) or whatever are OK if you travel all the time and you can justify the cost. If you want it to use 2 or 3 times a year the $100 laptop can't be beat. Truth is, as I think about it, if I was on the road all the time I would still use the laptop because of it's screen size.:D