PDA

View Full Version : To 5D or not to 5D ? That is the question.

Sharkey-Images
01-04-2007, 05:19 PM
Canon has rebates as high as $600 right now on the 5D combined with another purchase such as a Flash which I desperately need anyway.

So, should I make the jump from my 6 month old Canon Rebel? :confused:

I understand the Rebel was rated for 10,000 shots.

Well, I exceeded 10,000 shots in just 6 months.....:eek:

I would hate to be up in a helicopter shoot to only find out the Rebel is ready to crap out on me.....:eek:

What are your thoughts?

Maureen, I hope you see this thread and give me your thoughts.... ;)

Thanks!

Casey
01-04-2007, 09:48 PM
I don't know about Canon lenses, but Nikon does make some that will only work on Nikon DSLR's and they will not work on there 35mm bodies. Just make sure your lenses are compatible with a full frame camera

Sharkey-Images
01-04-2007, 09:55 PM
I know my EFS 18-55mm will not work with the 5D but my 100-400 EF L Series will.

I figure I would keep the Rebel for wide angle shots and as a back up if the 5D failed.

hsbob
01-05-2007, 12:12 PM
it sure sound like the way to go. you may even ba able to used the digital lens, try them. i have a d1x that is couple to a 50-500 len and a d200 w 18-200. that way im covering 99% of all picture i take and dont have to change lenses = no dust [or at least reduced]. both canon and nikon are verg good camera and i had a suppy of nikon lens, but use canon in the 6-70s.

take a look here http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1032
and their related forum it may help you deside.

Sharkey-Images
01-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Thanks!

I didn't realize that I would be passing up SPEED if I went to the 5D. :eek:

After visiting my salesman today he mentioned that the 20D & 30D shoots at 5 frames per second which would work better for what I am doing. 5D may have a few other things, but it only shoots at 3 frames per second. I have that now with the Rebel XT.
He's telling me to wait. He says there is a reason for all those big rebates right now. (upgrades) are coming soon to the Canon lineup.

I have to trust him. He just kept me from spending maybe $3,000 on the 5D when a newer model of the 30D may just be somewhere under $2,000.
He didn't try to sell me on something he knows will be substandard to what's coming.
Ya got to appreciate that! ;)

Scream And Fly
01-07-2007, 03:57 PM
The Rebel is rated at far more than 10,000 shots... Its shutter is rated at around 50,000 or more. $3000 for a 5D? Your camera store is ripping you off - that camera can be had for much less now. :) I think the 30D body can be purchased for less than $1200. (http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CNEOS30D)

I would also forget the typical "wait, something better is coming" nonsense. I hear that all the time, and most of that speculation is based on zero factual information. I remember the rumors about the 30D - "8 fps!, 10 megapixel!" Yeah, so many people bought into that one and were furious when the real 30D was finally announced. Stay away from that type of hype.

There are many pros out there happily shooting with Rebels. Remember, it's your technique that matters most, not the camera body.

The 5D is a great camera, but not for sports. It is not designed for sports/action photography, and would not be the right choice. The 20D/30D is a much better suited to action photography.

It won't help you, and since it's a full frame camera, it demands the most from your lenses. If you really want to get the most from your gear, invest in lenses suited to sports photography, not a 5D. Lenses are an investment, bodies are disposable. If you really want to do more for your setup and have the money burning a hole in your pocket, get a 70-200 2.8L IS USM or the 70-200 F4L IS USM. Both lenses are ideal for sports/action photography and will blow your 100-400 away, especially in low light and sharpness. You're never going to be shooting 300-400mm focal lengths from a helicopter anyway.

Greg

Canon has rebates as high as $600 right now on the 5D combined with another purchase such as a Flash which I desperately need anyway.

So, should I make the jump from my 6 month old Canon Rebel? :confused:

I understand the Rebel was rated for 10,000 shots.

Well, I exceeded 10,000 shots in just 6 months.....:eek:

I would hate to be up in a helicopter shoot to only find out the Rebel is ready to crap out on me.....:eek:

What are your thoughts?

Maureen, I hope you see this thread and give me your thoughts.... ;)

Thanks!

Sharkey-Images
01-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Thanks for your input Greg.

I never got a price on the 5D from him. I just saw some sites on the Internet that was getting anywhere from $2400 to $3200 for it.

He did quote me $1100 for the 30D though...

50,000 !!! That's even better news for the Rebel! :)

Scream And Fly
01-07-2007, 06:32 PM
50,000 !!! That's even better news for the Rebel! :)

I know it's at least 50,000. It could be 75,000. Who in the world told you 10,000?

Sharkey-Images
01-07-2007, 07:01 PM
I know it's at least 50,000. It could be 75,000. Who in the world told you 10,000?
I thought I read it somewhere... :confused:

I thought that was kind of low myself....

Scream And Fly
01-07-2007, 07:17 PM
Nothing wrong with keeping a backup body if your photo work is critical. I always keep a backup body in my case. Another camera body to consider is the Rebel XTi, which has the same autofocus system as the 30D, among other things. Maureen shoots with a 20D and that always worked well for her, although she's getting a 1D MKII for the upcoming season.

Greg

Sharkey-Images
01-07-2007, 07:42 PM
I will most likely go to the 30D. I'm not in a rush for it right now, so I can wait and see what they come out with in the Spring.
At least with the 30D, I am not losing the use of one of my lenses.

As you might know, EFS lenses don't work with the 5D.

My pics are becoming very critical. I will be doing another helicopter shoot this summer for our club, NJPPC. If i can get my shots to come out half as good as Maureen's that would great! :) And to think it never occured to me to have a backup last year... :eek: Had something gone wrong it would have been a total waste of time and money.

The rest of my pics are taken either from land or a boat. That is where my 100-400 works at its best.

So if I can come with the money, I will take your advice on the 70-200.

Scream And Fly
01-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Also, get a good monopod and ballhead for that lens :)

Greg

Sharkey-Images
01-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Also, get a good monopod and ballhead for that lens :)

Greg
I hear that!

The camera and lens get a bit heavy after a while....:D