PDA

View Full Version : Ok, How do you transfer Documnets direct to new PC?

The Big Al
12-24-2006, 10:23 PM
My kids got me a new DELL XPS 410, I need to transfer some of my info and some programs from the old DELL DIMENSION 8200

How do you connect them to do this?

Is their a way to hook them together to work together?

Al

transomstand
12-25-2006, 09:08 AM
There's probably a way to do it directly, but if your a dope like me, it may be easier to network them. Hook em together with a USB cable and run the network wizard. You may not even have to, your new PC may "see" your old computer as added hardware when you turn it on. Go to your old PC and change your documents properties to shared, then you can copy anything you want to the new PC.

Pete

Casey
12-25-2006, 09:20 AM
in the past I've always just pulled the hard drive out of the old computer and installed it in the new computer as a slave. then I just send the files to the new location.

but what I do know is copy everything from the old computer to a external hard drive. then plug it into the new one and send the files to the new location.

if you take a lot of pictures you need to be backing up to a external hard drive all the time

Maureen M
12-26-2006, 05:14 PM
For the documents, do what Casey or Pete suggested, or throw the files on a flash drive or something.
For the programs, I'd just install them from the original disks or download them again onto the new computer.

Enjoy the new computer :)

Superdave
12-26-2006, 08:10 PM
Windows Xp has a program for that. All you need is a network card in each PC and a RJ45 cable, hook them up boot up and then run the wizard.

The Big Al
12-27-2006, 01:56 AM
Thanks Everyone.

After being on hold with Dell for 2 hours.
They walked ne threw a new network. I both PC's running like a song.

Networked and sharing files and printers.
Wish I could marry these 2 together to make a mini super PC.

thanks

Al