PDA

View Full Version : buying mtx 12 8500 sub need amp

baja200merk
11-26-2006, 12:50 PM
just looking for a reliable 4-600rsm wattage to run a 12" mtx sub in a big box in the back of my dakota... i was looking at the mtx amps but i know there are better amps any suggestions?

thanks
kevin

pyro
11-26-2006, 01:57 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190054068102

This amp is way underrated and WAY over-engineered. I power three 12 ohm JL 10's with one of these same amps, have run it at full clip for over an hour at a time. Only problem I've had is solder joints on the RCA jacks, and that can happen with any amp, not a huge deal to fix if it happens.

Mine cost $400 in 1998.

baja200merk
11-26-2006, 02:34 PM
200 watts? im looking for about 3 times that power...

i just hooked up my brothers system at 4ohm load its a dhd amp with a punch p2 12... it in the wrong box but it seems distorted and its not hitting hard at all no matter how the amp is tuned... any idea wut i could have done wrong?

pyro
11-26-2006, 06:24 PM
It's 300 bridged mono into 4 or 2 ohms, and VERY conservatively rated.

A great deal of the amps out there today are chinese-made gimmick products made with the cheapest parts available. This goes more than skin deep. There's a reason why I passed up the $280 "600 watt" amps to buy the $400 Pioneer new. In '98, I think it was actually Pioneer's biggest conventional consumer car audio amp. At the time, I asked a couple of electronic engineer/audio expert types about amps and it came highly recommended. Pioneer's stuff has actually been cheapened up like a lot of the others in recent years. I recommended the X922 because it was made during the peak of their quality, it's a good performer, and it's bulletproof.

Bid on that amp and win it. They're not easy to find. You won't disappointed. That MTX 12" will be begging for mercy. You'll have more power than you'll need, trust me. Clean, reliable power.

SUPAJAY
11-27-2006, 10:04 AM
I agree with Pyro, that amp puts out closer to 500W..
To push two mtx 600rms... not enough power:(
Personally i would go with a 1000W Mats Pro Amp
Or an older V12 Alpine... from 2002 - 2004
They push clean power and you wont blow em up.
If you gona run close to the max rms i would set it at 4ohms just to be safe.
Good luck :D

baja200merk
11-27-2006, 10:06 AM
thanks guys i will let you know how i make out

pyro
11-27-2006, 03:07 PM
I thought he was just running ONE 12" MTX sub. Right, Kevin?

baja200merk
11-27-2006, 07:31 PM
for now... haha

pyro
11-27-2006, 07:39 PM
That Pioneer X922 will damn near kill that single MTX. Buy it.

1BadAction
11-27-2006, 07:45 PM
an earthquake D2... if you can find one. I had one for 3 years, then my buddy used it for 2 and sold it just a few months ago.

you'll shoot your eye out.

1BadAction
11-27-2006, 07:59 PM
california. everything I like from a product, awesome performance and built like a brick chithouse. little pricey new though, but now they are a few years old so the "gotta have the new thing" crowd has moved on to the newer EQ stuff.

my iroc hit 158DB with one d2 and 2 round 12s at 1/2 ohm load... I would switch out the DVC subs to ones with 8ohm coils (instead of 2s) and the sound quality was as good as anything else. still could push 1000 watts at the 2 ohm load.

pyro
11-27-2006, 08:02 PM
I would have to question anything whose model number is derived from its fictional "max" power rating on their sheet, or who calls their 400 watt powered sub a "1000 watt" sub...

but I've always been a skeptic. Most of this stuff today is just mass-produced in China and sold by companies who didn't even exist 10 or 15 years ago.

1BadAction
11-27-2006, 08:09 PM
if you're talking about the D2... thats real power, their instructions didnt have a rating. Digital Class D amps are a whole different ball game from these jokes that most people are used to.

baja200merk
11-27-2006, 08:16 PM
well mom suprised me with the mtx amp... i might pick up that pioneer any way haha see what one i like better lol maybe il just get another mtx and run em both lol

thanks guys
Kevin

baja200merk
11-27-2006, 09:26 PM
Heres the one she got me... seems ok.. its class D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300051718032&rd=1,1

M-Dog
01-10-2007, 11:14 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300051718032&rd=1,1

Class D Momo amps are great for lots of whoop, I use a Clarion 1500 RMS jobby powering 2 12" JBL Power Series 1600watts@ piece :eek: Loud is an understatement! 140 on the dcbs meter:D

baja200merk
01-10-2007, 06:51 PM
i love my mtx12 8500 with the mtx 1800 amp, now my pickup truck sets off car alarms with the engine on or off haha

Kevin

M-Dog
01-11-2007, 06:47 AM
i love my mtx12 8500 with the mtx 1800 amp, now my pickup truck sets off car alarms with the engine on or off haha

Kevin

I know where you are coming from, my other truck has 3-12's, 1-10" JBL's, 4-6x9's ,6-tweeters powered by a 1200 watt Clarion amp. Soon to be changed out for a 2200 watt Acoustic amp :eek: that is 2200 RMS :cool:

I have flowmasters on my extended cab and it sets off alarms just going by trucks :cool:

bigbore
01-11-2007, 07:46 PM

Thats it buddy,thats the one you wanted,(just so you know):cool: :cool: :cool:

sho305
02-24-2007, 11:19 PM
I just picked up an Alpine V12 MRV1000 for a friend to run a box or two, waiting to see what it does. I want SQ in my little car and scored a little Rubicon 302 to run subs, I hope its not a pile but only gave 40 for it. Soundstreams are supposed to be good and it bridges at 300x1 rms. I don't need to set off car alarms or nothing, just sound nice. I don't have much room either, I want to go free air if I can....not sure what to do. Every little box I've seen didn't sound that good far as SQ. All I have laying around is a set of old RF 10s, the normal series 1 or whatever. Might destroy those free air, might try them and see.

I've read the MTX are not bad amps these days, not fancy but built well they say. I never had one. My idea of a good amp is a Linear Power, old Soundstreams, old Alpines, old coustics, I even have an old blaupunkt that works nice and everyone hated them back then. For the most part just look on ebay and what ever goes high in old amps is pretty good. Also got my hands on a newer amp, a dual that runs 300x1 bridged rms, I'll compare it to the soundstream. I don't know how old the rubicon is, it is a blue amp like the older ones. Have a sherwood I just got here for 20 too, a 160 4ch. Never seen a sherwood car amp before, but its a pretty big thing and bridgable 4/3/2. Dang thing has wires coming out if it.

That was a pretty good deal on the Pioneer. There are some good amps out there that are not common names (&cheap), just have to dig them out. I ran four 10s on a blaupunkt better than an old Coustic 300 or a Pyramid 300 (both from before '90), and the blaupunkt was a 120 - 60w rms/ch and just as old...smaller even.

baja200merk
02-25-2007, 03:23 AM
I popped the 8500 sub. amp is fine, sub was not protected and i think somthin fell on it when it was WFO... It shut off and smelled like it lit on fire for a little while. Its got a one year warrentee so im takin full advantage sure sucks not havin it for a few days tho!!!

sho305
02-25-2007, 03:40 AM
That sucks, but sub on fire is kinda cool none the less.:cool:

baja200merk
02-25-2007, 02:09 PM
yea im shocked it went, i was being easy on it compared to other times...

Kevin

M-Dog
02-27-2007, 09:20 PM
I popped the 8500 sub. amp is fine, sub was not protected and i think somthin fell on it when it was WFO... It shut off and smelled like it lit on fire for a little while. Its got a one year warrentee so im takin full advantage sure sucks not havin it for a few days tho!!!

You didn't have the power to blow that, smell bull**** here:rolleyes:

Skatin
02-28-2007, 08:37 PM
You didn't have the power to blow that, smell bull**** here:rolleyes:

Power doesn't blow speakers. Not enough power is what blows them. Volume is all about control. To get that volume you need control of the cone. When you overdrive a speaker and don't have enough power for control the next song your will hear is... POP goes the weasel.

baja200merk
03-05-2007, 01:07 AM
what do you think im liein?

Skatin-
thats exactly what it did... i didnt have a cage on the speaker it was exposed and my little brothers 20oz pepsi bottle was in the speaker when he turned it on? Could that have smoked it?

sho305
03-05-2007, 03:13 PM
An empty bottle? It would just blow that away. A full one pushed against it could trash it though, anything restricting the movement or even upsetting the balance of the cone. If the cone does not move it does not cool the voice coils. If they rub sideways, that could trash it too.

Simply put if an amp clips/distorts because it ran out of power or is overdriven, or fed a poor signal even, then it can cause the voice coil to heat more than if playing properly. That is when a small amp can trash a sub. However, that little wire in there can only take so much and a big enough amp will roast it sooner or later depending on how good it is/etc. (yes it would likely be playing a lot louder and longer to do it). When it clips it kind of gets DC power for a moment instead of AC power of the music. It would be like connecting a battery to it and just holding it on, cone stays in same spot and power is heating coil. With the normal AC it always is sweeping up or down, so always cooling movement.

And right, if the amp can't keep control of the cone then it can be feeding it current to move one way before the cone has changed direction; just more heat. There are alot of other factors like how the amp and speaker are made, the enclosure, so on.

I always thought it interesting when I swapped amps on a sub setup and it almost always sounded different. I always had to swap stuff out to get my systems sounding right. I usually tried to run just a high and low amp and no EQs.

sho305
04-09-2007, 11:24 PM
I just read this huge post from some real pro audio guys, they say low power will not blow a sub. They say distort it all you want and that will not hurt it, the DC of a clipped wave will hardly make any difference in heat. What they do say is if you clip some amps they can go up to double the power then, and that is how you can pop a sub with a smaller amp. And in their words, power is the only thing you can hurt them with while playing them. Sounds reasonable. The ones I have seen blown were run by amps close to their output, maybe less but still could peak at the subs rating...and I know they were getting beat when they blew. IMO a clipping amp can send strange signals to a sub and could be harmful. I have seen them act strange and jump around like they should not, so I know the amp is not giving them a smooth proper signal.