PDA

View Full Version : Hey all !! just bought a Checkmate

83Enchanter
04-15-2002, 02:04 PM
:)

I wanted to say hello, I have just joined the forum, after lurking for a while.

I was shopping around for a project boat, and the technical info here help a lot.

I have rebuilt many go-fast toys in tha past (84 Mustang, 89 Mustang, 78 Z28, 97 Z28, 86 V-Max, 96 ZX-9R) this is my first boat. Although I have grown up on the ocean, and local lakes, (I always abused someone elses Boat), this is the first Boat I have owned.

Two weeks ago I bought an 83 Checkmate Enchanter, with a seized 225 Merc. The Boat' interior had been redone a couple years ago, so it is in great shape. However the hull/deck finish was very faded, soI just got done painting it.

I pulled the motor apart, and the powerhead is rebulidable (I have a friend doing it), we will also freshnen up the lower unit, it came with a 26" Laser II, which I have gathered from here is a pretty good all-around prop.

I boat mostly on a medium sized lake (7.5 miles long, occasional go to a bigger lake, 15 mile long), and don't need huge top-end to be tha fastest, anything over 70mph will be plenty. I just want the Enchanter to run smooth, dry, and just fast enough to scare the wife and kids a little.

I was thinking of throwing on a jackplate, given how bow-heavy I read Enchanters to be. Is 10"s too much?

I have taken many before and during photos of the project, and I will have after photos when I am done in a copule of weeks. I look forward to any insight the experts here can provide, and I will let everyone know how well it all works when I get it in the water next month.

Later

Mike P

PS: I forgot to add I got the whole packeage including trailer for $1650 so it was hard to go wrong with this project, when alls said and done I should have less than 4 grand into it.

LaserModVee
04-15-2002, 02:26 PM
Welcome to the board Mike!
Sounds like you are on your way to a fun summer!

I am no help on Checkmate's, but I was taught to drive a boat in my parent's 1984 21' Checkmate open bow. I don't recall what the model name on it was, but it had a 2.6 XP Evinrude with no setback or jackplate and ran in the 70's. We had a ton of fun on that boat, as I am sure you will on yours.

Keep us posted on the progress with pics.

Good luck

Checkmark
04-16-2002, 06:58 AM
That's a great price for that rig. I have a 1980 Enchanter with
200 power. 10" of setback, the propshaft approx 2" below the
pad and a fresh 225hp should get you to 75mph. I would also
have a nosecone installed, with a torgue tab. I did this on mine
and it made the world of difference. You might also want to try
a 4blade like a Trophy or Tempest. This will be a better overall
prop, and help with the steering torque, which is considerable at
WOT; at least it is on mine. You should have no trouble lifting that
hull out of the water on a solo run with this setup. Have fun!

83Enchanter
04-16-2002, 07:29 AM
Thanks LaserModVee, Checkmark

My Family has owned a few Skiboats, and a couple of Glastrons, my brother currently has a 17' CVX with a 135 and he is pretty quick.

This will definitely be the fastest boat we've owned.

Mark, you mention the trophy or tempest, they are exhaust over hub right, what is the major difference that makes VS the thru hub styles like the LazerII.

Thanks again for the info,

Mike P

pyro
04-16-2002, 09:19 AM
trophy is a smaller-than-normal hub, but still thru-hub, 4 blade, with cupping, high rake, and a reputation for bow-lift. I bought one recently, haven't tried it yet. A tempest is a full-thru-hub high-rake 3-blade. I believe they're more of a transom-lifting prop, popular with bass boaters.
You may also want to try a chopper, like in the picture below, if you want to go the over-hub route. It's a good prop for lifting the bow on heavier boats, but they have to be run very high on the transom, "split-shaft" at the pad, or within an inch.

pyro
04-16-2002, 09:34 AM
Here's a photo of a Tempest plus:

ncst8er
04-16-2002, 06:10 PM
Welcome from another newbie. I recently bought the same year/model boat. It has a 2.4 200 Merc. Wasn't your bargain price, but I didn't want to get into a project right off the bat (I have enough of those already). I plan to run it pretty much as-is this summer and then tweak a little over the winter. From what I've seen/heard 70-75 is the normal range for this size Checkmate with stock/near-stock 200-225 propulsion.

Tom D.
04-22-2002, 09:21 PM
I also have a 83' Checkmate with 200HP. Last year was my first year with this boat I've run about 65MPH w/24 chopper. As far as a jack plate I have a Bobs 6"(I believe) and your right a heavier boat like ours could probibly use more than what I've got but hey it came with the boat. 10" of set of set back should be good. Sounds like you made a good deal on a good all around family(wife & kids) & speed boat (for Dad). Have fun!

83Enchanter
04-22-2002, 11:22 PM
Hey Thanks,

Hopefully when it is all put together, I'll have around 4k into it, you can't beat that for the money.

The parts are in for the motor rebuild so that should be togther by next week. I am adding a few HiPo parts so it should run well.

The deck is painted (needs to be buffed) and the hull is next but, I have a little clean-up work to do to the transom before I paint and hang the bracket.

The previous owner rebuilt the transom with all new wood and he went extra thick, as well as adding glass to the knees. I just need to clean up the glass work.

I have been taking pics of the progress and I will post them when it is done.

Later,

Mike

aaron bjerke
04-26-2002, 08:21 AM
I bought mine a couple years ago and did a similar thing. Try wetsanding and buffing then put a clear coat on. Its the cheapest way to refinish. If you do have a metal flake, you can add flake to the clear then cover with more clear. Here is a pic of my 92 starflight.

Danco
04-29-2002, 11:50 AM
Before you hang a plate on that hull you should check the transom for rot. Especially if the inside is bad enough to refurbish. That big 225 will be alot of weight on 10" of set-back. If the transom's solid definately go with the 10" or maybe more. The Enchanter is a heavy hull and craves set-back. I'd go hydraulic too to save you headaches in set-up. The Bob's Machine 10" hydraulic with 2" spacers would be ideal. When you rebuild the motor call Matt Riddle at www.performanceplusmarine.com about some mods for your motor. You can easily get close to 280hp with bolt on mods and still run on pump gas. As for props I'd start with the Trophy in 25p or if you have the bucks try a Mazco HP4 which is a Trophy on steroids. Low to mid 70's will be easy on stock power as long as you keep the load light. With the mods you can bump 80 with no problems. Good luck, it sounds like a cool project.

83Enchanter
04-29-2002, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the info,

the transom is pretty rugged now, and from what I have checked there is zero signs of rot.

I picked up the bracket off ebay cheap, (waiting for it to arrive) so it will be a good place to start, but I would love to find a hydraulic jack eventually.

I am putting shaved heads on the motor, and rejetting, along with new reeds eventually. What else? for add ons with out going crazy.

I have been shoping around on ebay for a trophy, there is a 24" on there right now but that might be too low a pitch. There is also a 27" four-blade prop, I don't know.

thanks again for any help,

Mike P

Rickracer
04-29-2002, 02:14 PM
When you get ready to go hydraulic with your jackplate, let me know, I can get you the best deals on just about anything you might want. :cool:

83Enchanter
04-29-2002, 03:16 PM
Thanks Rick,

i will definitely keep you in mind,

Mike

Danco
04-30-2002, 07:16 AM
You definately need to work on the exhaust. If you can't afford a tuner take out the can, cut 3" off the bottom and drill four 5/8" holes in the housing about 4" down from where the housing meets the pan. Should do the trick and let the heads do their magic. Reeds are a must as the early 80's models were metal and wore out quickly. Boysens are good but there are better carbon fiber single stage that vaporize the fuel much better. I thinkt he second stage on the Boysens are too thick. You may want to work on the intake. If your engine is carbed get some velocity stacks which work great. If it's an EFI consider an SVS, which is pricey or maybe the intake from a newer engine which the 4 butterfly throttle bodies. You can get 275+ from this engine with reliability. I know I have one! ;o) Also go to

http://www.wmi.org/multi_boards/props/index.html

to find a used Trophy. Us bass guys love them and you can usually find them at this site for a good price. Tony Reynolds which has a post on this board is having a sale where you can get new Trophy's and Tempest's for $339. Good luck on your MATE!

aaron bjerke
05-10-2002, 10:08 AM
check out www.bassboatcentral.com for cheap props. There are a ton of trophy's and tempest props on that site.