PDA

View Full Version : any way to fix a blown solobaric l7

baja200merk
11-22-2006, 07:50 PM
I aquired a blown 12inch solobaric that seems to be smoked. I was wondering if theres any way to solder the coils or fix it some how, any one have any idea?

pyro?:D

thanks
Kevin

pyro
11-22-2006, 08:04 PM
Tough one. If it's a burnt coil, it probably burnt the insulating lacquer and/or fused a couple of layers of windings together. Those voice coils are typically aluminum, almost impossible to user-service. If the joint where the coil iteslf connects is the break, you can't solder it, no reliable way to make a .020 thick crimp without special tooling. naaahhhh....

Do those have a bolt-on magnet assembly?

Check the flex leads to the back of the cone, sometimes that part burns up, I've saved a couple that did this.

Otherwise, if it looks like it can't be fixed, autopsy it, learn something from it. Cut the spider, surround, and flex leads, pull the cone out and inspect the coil. Have fun with it.

baja200merk
11-22-2006, 08:11 PM
your quick man haha

how the hell do i get the thing apart? i dont see any bolts or screws? if i get it apart ill post pics tommorow

thanks!
kevin

Skatin
11-22-2006, 08:18 PM
Aint hapnin. Trash it an go get one of these.. I just got one and it is awesome... If the coil blows just pop it out and stick a new one in.

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/car/car_product.aspx?category_id=17&family_id=130

baja200merk
11-22-2006, 08:22 PM
$$$$$$$?

sho305
12-20-2006, 08:10 PM
Only $700:) http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BQZ8Rw5FQTM/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=520&I=065SPG552

I had four 10" subs in a car free air and the thing made my head hurt, it was clean too. Could hear it a half mile away with a 300w amp and your neck hair stood up. They were pyramid subs I bought brand new from a warehouse place for $15 each in the early 90s. Everyone said they would never work...but cars had trunks back then;).

bigbore
01-11-2007, 07:56 PM
they were prety good,did'nt get the spl outta it (like i thought i would),i had sounstream ss10rs n they were quit a bit more powerfull than the bostons were,now sounstream replacedthem with the trantulas,n i would say they are at least as good,as far as 12's go,i gotta say jl's are hard to beat for spl.alpine's r,and x series are top perfomers also for 12's,jl's new w-7 is the ****.:cool: :cool: :cool:

M-Dog
01-13-2007, 12:34 AM
they were prety good,did'nt get the spl outta it (like i thought i would),i had sounstream ss10rs n they were quit a bit more powerfull than the bostons were,now sounstream replacedthem with the trantulas,n i would say they are at least as good,as far as 12's go,i gotta say jl's are hard to beat for spl.alpine's r,and x series are top perfomers also for 12's,jl's new w-7 is the ****.:cool: :cool: :cool:

As for the sub, it's done. I have 2 12" JBL's powered by a 1500 Class D Mono amp in a extended cab, it makes people tell me to turn it down :cool:
I just purchased a 2700 watt amp to throw in it to make people notice me at the Lake :p I love BASS and I think SoundStream 8500rms sub is the ****, if you get the 6500rms amp...That is what I want right now :cool: :D :D You won't see me, but you sure will hear me !

bigbore
01-13-2007, 11:50 AM
As for the sub, it's done. I have 2 12" JBL's powered by a 1500 Class D Mono amp in a extended cab, it makes people tell me to turn it down :cool:
I just purchased a 2700 watt amp to throw in it to make people notice me at the Lake :p I love BASS and I think SoundStream 8500rms sub is the ****, if you get the 6500rms amp...That is what I want right now :cool: :D :D You won't see me, but you sure will hear me !
I hear ya:D ,i love pimping the stuff,a solid stereo is indeed important (in my book)i gotta watch what i do for adding to much,for battery draw and weight,as far as weight goes,thats why a 10 and small sealed enclosure is needed.i like the idea of 6+9's to carry some mid-bass,skydogs,rockin in his motion with 4 6+9's n 2 jl 12's:cool:

M-Dog
01-17-2007, 10:56 PM
I hear ya:D ,i love pimping the stuff,a solid stereo is indeed important (in my book)i gotta watch what i do for adding to much,for battery draw and weight,as far as weight goes,thats why a 10 and small sealed enclosure is needed.i like the idea of 6+9's to carry some mid-bass,skydogs,rockin in his motion with 4 6+9's n 2 jl 12's:cool:

In that case my Bronco has 3 12" subs Pioneers, 1 10" JBL, 4 6x9 Sony Ex-plods, 2 pioneer 100 watt tweeters and 4 80 watt tweeters :D I had to add another battery and soon a new alternator, the one that is on this truck is brand new and all that stuff ..makes the lights strobe to the beat of the music...kick on the 4 100 watt lights on the roof and I see, the alt. guage look like its on empty:D

Now my lowrider ( 94 ext cab Chevy ) has 2 12" JBL 1600 watts a piece subs( Power Series) , Polk Audio 6 1/2 DB650's and 4 100 watt tweeters, powered by a 1500 watt RMS Mono class D amp...Amp is all subs :eek: Soon to be 2700 watt amp..I think it is here right now, shipping came at 11:00 and I was working :( I get it in the AM though :cool:

" If it's too LOUD, you are too OLD ":D

sho305
01-17-2007, 11:05 PM
2700 watts at even 14v is 192amps. That is enough to start a car, you better have a couple batteries on that amp alone with the shortest large gauge cable possible so it don't catch on fire.;)

M-Dog
01-18-2007, 10:16 PM
2700 watts at even 14v is 192amps. That is enough to start a car, you better have a couple batteries on that amp alone with the shortest large gauge cable possible so it don't catch on fire.;)

I was thinking ,4 Yellow Top Optimas :cool: and a 235amp Alternator. I park my LowRider for the winter and I want to test this thing out, so in the Bronco on the first day I get off :D It has a couple batterys , maybe I will add another one...just to be on the loud side, I hate it when they cut out:D :D :D

Skatin
01-18-2007, 10:18 PM
Unless you are in competition just get you a couple of yellow tops and a BatCap.

M-Dog
01-18-2007, 10:34 PM
Unless you are in competition just get you a couple of yellow tops and a BatCap.

Farad Caps don't do anything but look pretty, ya know nice flashing blue lights ya got back there :D Yellow Tops and a 200 - 235amp Alt. will work great!

I will be going to a competition this year, It's called " So You Think You Are Loud "! I think I should do alright :cool:

Skatin
01-18-2007, 10:50 PM
I didn't say anything about getting Farrad Caps. I said BATCAP. You obviously don't know what that is. If the BATCAP doesn't do anything then why do so many people in competition use them. I have 1 yellow top 1 BATCAP and I am pulling an Honest 210 amps. www.usamps.com I'm not really in to the crank it up crap any more. I had Treo subs back then. SPL record holders. Now I have Boston Pro's in the front, rear and a Boston SPG555 sub, Memphis center speaker. Alpine IVA-W200 DVD player with 5.1 Dolby digital surround. It sounds bad ass. To Me!!!! And that is my opinion and worth every penny you paid for it!

M-Dog
01-18-2007, 11:13 PM
I didn't say anything about getting Farrad Caps. I said BATCAP. You obviously don't know what that is. If the BATCAP doesn't do anything then why do so many people in competition use them. I have 1 yellow top 1 BATCAP and I am pulling an Honest 210 amps. www.usamps.com (http://www.usamps.com) I'm not really in to the crank it up crap any more. I had Treo subs back then. SPL record holders. Now I have Boston Pro's in the front, rear and a Boston SPG555 sub, Memphis center speaker. Alpine IVA-W200 DVD player with 5.1 Dolby digital surround. It sounds bad ass. To Me!!!! And that is my opinion and worth every penny you paid for it!

Well I just bought a 300 BatCap, waiting for it to get here to try it out! I bought the thing and no one else bid on it! :confused: I have never heard of Treo's before either, have heard good things about Boston stuff though:cool:

Skatin
01-19-2007, 05:45 AM
You can punish these speakers and they just keep on going...

http://www.treoonline.com/index.html

sho305
01-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Those look like wicked subs, the Treos. Man, I always used pyramids and pyles, fosgates, etc, in my cars. If I could get 4 10" IB in there I could get as much as I could stand out of them and they didn't blow very often. Or I used 2 in a big ported box. I just listened to it driving, I like to feel it, like the 20Htz.

M-Dog
01-19-2007, 10:32 PM
You can punish these speakers and they just keep on going...

http://www.treoonline.com/index.html

I thought this was pretty :cool:

Recommended Enclosures:
Not yet available. CSX

Skatin
01-19-2007, 10:42 PM
I thought this was pretty :cool:

Recommended Enclosures:
Not yet available. CSX

Most of the people that buy that sub don't need direction on what type of enclosure is needed. If you need direction than this aint the sub 4 u...

sho305
01-20-2007, 12:38 AM
That software is fun to play with. I have a bandpass I been playing with and it works ok, but not as well as I would like.

150aintenuff
01-21-2007, 09:03 PM
talon, not familiar with trio, but could a 12" CSX work in a 1.5 ft^3 fully vented enclosure with a 25.4" port length... and a port volume of .75 cubic ft... I cant keep the new jl12W6's from over traveling in my box that was previously tuned and built for the 2002 12W6 at 22-26Hz.. they must have changed something in their build because now it seems that there is to much relief in the port.. the 2002 JL had to be replaced due to cone damage from impact of object in trunk..

(new ampwould be mandatory of course.. )

Skatin
01-21-2007, 09:49 PM
The CSX likes a large ported box and a lot of power. I can get them but they are very expensive. I would reccomend the SSI series unless you are going to compete. I would use a 1.75 cubic ft box. I don't recall the port vol I used on my box but if you need the info I can dig out my paper work. 25.4" sure seems like a long port for the JL's...

150aintenuff
01-22-2007, 03:14 PM
it is but that is what it took in my vehicle to get the bass frequency to generate.... before with a more standard length it was muddy and not so nice.. the longer port made the difference.. BUT that was with a totally different speaker than what the box has in it now.. the new 2007 12W6 over extends and doesnt hold as much power as its 2002 counterpart.. the same 750 watt peak power amp driving each speaker was set to the maximum gain it could be to be still clear, Now its all the way down including the crossover points as well as bass gain controlls and it still over extends the sub and the sub is much muddier than others ive used... I may swap it for a W7 but Ive never needed the power handling of the W6 before and now it seems that the smaller amp is actually over powering its capibilitys... I estimate the average constant draw of the amp is about 350-500w since under high volume high draw loads it trips the Circut breaker I installed that trips at 540w total draw.. (40A)@13.5V under load. my syustem is borderline W3-W6 power levels... just enough to cause concerrn for warranty on a W3 but near the minimum-lower middle of the W6 range..

sho305
01-22-2007, 03:22 PM
Have you tried tossing stuff in the box to make it smaller, see what it does?

150aintenuff
01-22-2007, 03:27 PM
skatin shoot me a PM with the price of the SSI 12" dual 4 ohm voice coil equiped model.. that looks like a sub that will be a perfect upgrade when I deside to buy a new amp and build a new box.... Also is anyone doing boxes in other meterials besides MDF and plexiglas now... I personally think MDF absorbs to much and makes things muddy down low I built my box out of MDF coated with a layer of Fiberglass to seal the insides and it cleaned up really nice on the higher tones... a bass drum from a trap set sounds like a bass drum would live with a nice POP rather than a boom...I built it myself and it works for my tastes and sounded better to me than the one that the JL dealer wanted me to buy for almost 550.00 in custom labor time.. my cost was something like 56.00 total.....

150aintenuff
01-22-2007, 03:28 PM
Have you tried tossing stuff in the box to make it smaller, see what it does?

not yet... i may stuff the port and see if that helps.... cuttin the box will be a BITCH though... its interior is a layer of fiberglass biaxial mat..

sho305
01-22-2007, 03:50 PM
Skillsaw should do it, if it is square to cut on. I know if your port is tuned too high and the sub gets under it, it loses dampening. But if you made the port longer it should be lower. Could always try a sealed box if all fails, or like you said start stuffing the port.

I nearly always made my boxes out of 3/4" ply. Everyone said use mdf, I hate that stuff and it is so heavy, so weak. I never had a problem with tone. Sometimes I did stuff them a little and built them like a rock too. I just drywall screwed them silly, laid a big bead of silicone inside and spread it way out. I could hold a sub down and it would come up real slow, it was sealed good. If it was span of 1.5' or more I put braces in or doubled it up.

There is a lumber place here that you can take a plan to, they will cut the wood for you. Really fast way to get a box done if you don't have a place handy to cut it.

Since I used to run a lot of IB, I get a big difference in amps with excursion just like with speakers. Some amps can control it, some can't. Maybe some had subsonic filters but none said they did.

150aintenuff
01-22-2007, 05:54 PM
port is shape of an L exiting the full height of the box about 3" from back about 15" high... the pickup of the port is about 2" fron the front of the box on the left side of the speaker and the wall behind the speaker reflects the tone to the ports.... port area is about 15"TX 24.5" deep X 3" wide.. box is 22" long 16" tall and about 16 deep... and yea there is ALOT of screws as well holding this together... the box has out lived 5 subs 3 other boxes 5 amplifiers and 6 decks and 4 different rigs... its about 7 years old( built in May 2001) when I caught wind of a shipment of brandnew 12w6's that got mishandled in someway and the boxes were damaged so they got dumped cheep.. .. and the bigger the vehicle the harder and deeper it goes... in a F250 EXT cab it gives great massages, in a suburban its down right painfull in the sub bass region... , in my commuter car in the trunk its about as much as a person can physically stand as well as a massage tool. in the suburban I had I put an Xtant 1500W mono amp and a kicker SPL sub if I remember right and the bass finished off a cracked windshield more than once.

Skatin
01-22-2007, 07:20 PM
There are so many variations when it comes to subs. Smal box big box sealed ported bandpass etc etc. It is very much a matter of ones tastes. I prefer medium sized ported boxes with most of the subs I have owned. I usually build a temp box that I dont glue just so I can take it a part and play with port length and such. I always build it large and then add material to play with volume. Then I will build a permanent box. I used 3/4 mdf in the box for my Boston and then covered it in leather. Still not quite done I had to start working on the boat. I also built an amp rack in between the rear buckets covered in leather also to match the seats and then put computer fans in it for cooling. Oh yeah cup holders too. Most important part. Hey 150 I think I paid around 250 for each of the Treo's SSI's.

M-Dog
01-28-2007, 12:46 AM
Most of the people that buy that sub don't need direction on what type of enclosure is needed. If you need direction than this aint the sub 4 u...

I was tying to get a 8500 watt RMS 15" sub SoundStream Tremor and wanted to see what kind of room I needed for a box and they give it to you after you buy the sub :D I was only going to power it with a 6500 watt Mono Class D SoundStream amp :)

sho305
01-28-2007, 01:09 AM
Did anyone see that pimp my ride show where they put that 100+lb sub in the back seat of a car? That was kind of nuts, just a huge magnet sticking out into the interior. Get in a crash and that thing might take your head off;) or go through the other car...

Skatin
01-28-2007, 08:44 AM
Did anyone see that pimp my ride show where they put that 100+lb sub in the back seat of a car? That was kind of nuts, just a huge magnet sticking out into the interior. Get in a crash and that thing might take your head off;) or go through the other car...

Thats called the MTX Jackhammer 369lbs and totally nuts..

bigbore
01-28-2007, 01:11 PM
i saw that one,talk about major vehicle mods,plexiglass n th whole 9.:cool:

sho305
01-28-2007, 10:03 PM
That was it, I remember them trying to get the thing in the car it was so heavy. I just don't know what that thing is good for....but it sure looked cool if you didn't need a back seat.

I have some tens but I was looking online at subs and thinking of 12s...I know better. I read a thing saying any size works as well and its a myth they are different, but I never could get anything to sound as good as 10s except 8s and they can't handle any power. Problem is I think I can get a set of 12s or 10s in, but only one set and I like 4 tens best. I should use the 10s I have laying around anyway. I might use 10s and run a set of 8s also on the high side. I have a crappy x-over I don't like, maybe I can put it on another amp for the 8s and cut the highs out so its just midbass (really need some of that, its got a hole). I could use 6x9 too, but don't need more highs thought the 8s would work better? Just my little low power car system with rear 5.25s and front 4"/tweets. Subs will be old school IB for more room in trunk, might put some kind of cover/baffle on 8s but thinking they will not be blasting anyway. I have a trusty 120w rms blaupunkt from the old days I will run the 10s with that worked great...better than a couple other 300w back then.

150aintenuff
01-29-2007, 05:49 PM
Hey 150 I think I paid around 250 for each of the Treo's SSI's.

**** thats down right reasonable.... i would have thought they were more.... and to think 11.00 bucks and I wouldnt have this little power handeling issue.... but I thjink I am getting it closer to where it should be.... stuffed a Jacket in the port and it slows doen the velocity of exit and its better ... so may have to restrict the port..

sho305
02-24-2007, 10:58 PM
I found this the other day, I'd take a gamble on it but it is not what I need. Shipping is like $55, who knows how high it will go but no bites yet. They will not look at it for you either, to see if the subs are good. I see those are 3 bills each? Just an idea, I don't know if they are any good or not.

"DS12L5 Kicker Dual 12 inch ported box loaded with L5 subwoofers" BROKEN!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170084135177&rd=1,1

sho305
02-25-2007, 03:08 AM
There is a place here that recones speakers, and they put new foam on. Seems like they could do a voice coil too but I don't know. Its about $30 to put new foam suspension on a 10.

sho305
03-07-2007, 09:28 AM
Oh man, I am seeing a pile of those Kickers on ebay blown; round, square, Ls. Makes me wonder how good they are, then again a little abuse will trash near anything. Cheap way to get a box I guess.

I bought some 12"s, some of those 1000w Infinitys. I got one in a box and anther bare. I should have just gotten two of the box setups, but this way I can fit one box or try two free air. Their site says they will do IB at less power, about half of rated...right about where I will be.

sho305
04-01-2007, 12:33 AM
Treo 10" on ebay for one day yet http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=270102778584&rd=1&rd=1