PDA

View Full Version : 89 chevrolet pickup no spark

baja200merk
11-18-2006, 02:34 PM
Trucks got a 305 tbi in it and a new coil, fuse for ign is good... whats the next thing to check?

thanks!
Kevin:confused:

The Big Al
11-18-2006, 03:23 PM
The simple thing is the rotor button.
On high HEI, the will burn in the middle, causing a ground to the shaft of the dist.

Next will be the electronic control model, then the pickup in the dist.

After that! The question is, do you own a gun?

Now, when buying that module for dist, go ahead and price a rebuilt dist. They will come with module and pickup coil and stator trigger ready to go.
And in most cases it's lot cheaper for the dist.

AL

10.5' Tunnel
11-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Ignition module

tnelsmn
11-23-2006, 10:59 AM
Just happend in my 90 GMC 305 tbi mine was the pick up coil. Was only about 20 bucks. It was kinda a pain to put in you have to pull the dist. If you have a Hayens book for the truck it gives you an easy test to cheak the pick up coil. Good luck, tell us what it was.

Knjhn
11-25-2006, 06:58 AM
True, at his pont it is usually the pick-up coil. usually they turn green and actually get all corroded with a yellow/white/green mossy growth covering them. If you can get on it woth a meter you need at least 700MV of AC voltage while cranking. Ive seen engines run as low as 300MV but then get hard to start or even loose power at WOT when the distributor gets warm. Do yourself a big favor, spend the extra couple of bucks and get OE GM parts. When it comes to electronic components aftermarket stuff is WAY unreliable. This is true for all sensors too. Plugs and wires are the few exeptions, I like to use Prestolite wires wherever possible as they are OE on just about everything out there anyways, like Gm, Ford and Honda

The Big Al
11-25-2006, 07:12 AM
True, at his point it is usually the pick-up coil. usually they turn green and actually get all corroded with a yellow/white/green mossy growth covering them. If you can get on it woth a meter you need at least 700MV of AC voltage while cranking. Ive seen engines run as low as 300MV but then get hard to start or even loose power at WOT when the distributor gets warm. Do yourself a big favor, spend the extra couple of bucks and get OE GM parts. When it comes to electronic components aftermarket stuff is WAY unreliable. This is true for all sensors too. Plugs and wires are the few exeptions, I like to use Prestolite wires wherever possible as they are OE on just about everything out there anyways, like Gm, Ford and Honda

Very good points on parts.
But facts about GM parts and most makes.

You can buy AC/Delco parts outside the dealer at reasonable prices.

Belden wires are for the most part 75% of the manufacture of OEM domestic plug wires.
Belden is carried with a lifetime warranty from NAPA.

You will also find, that the premium selection from ECHLIN, Standard Ignition and Niehoff to be factory supplier. All 3 of these company's are now under one umbrella of STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS.
Mallory IGN. is a major supplier for the big 2 also.
Standard's biggest product goes to OEM.
AC/Delco being the largest.

Now if you purchase the econo stuff from these brands then you getting junk, plain and simple.

Dutch
11-25-2006, 08:36 AM
i used to carry a spare ignition module. it was an easy fix.
you would just be driving down the road and the truck would
quit. happened two or three times in the 11-12 years i owned
the truck.

Racemore
11-25-2006, 08:37 AM
I'm betting on the rotor.HEI's hardly ever have a pickup go bad.Did put one in my sons commercial boat and it was green but still working just replaced everything as preventive maintenance.No Auto Zones or NAPA's in the ocean.:cool:

Knjhn
11-25-2006, 05:59 PM
Yeah belden makes great wires too. One more ting i forgot to mention about that 89 vintage distributor, there is a permanent magnet mase into the distributor shaft. This is what exites the pick-up coil as it spins. These go bad too. Uou can tell by looking at this magnet, you can see it its the black thin disc like item sanwiched between 2 discs. (located on the distributor shaft inside the pick up coil). When they go bad they get all cracked up. There was a time when this shaft and the pick-ups were goung bad so often GM had them available real cheap. This was like in the mid 90's.

I am assuming you have checked for a no spark conition right?
these systems get 1 psi of fuel pressure under spec and they turn off so quick like someone shut off the ignition switch!!!