PDA

View Full Version : Who knows this one?

Mark75H
04-13-2002, 06:58 PM
Part of an ad. When we identify the boat I'll post the whole thing. For 1967 this was amazing performance.

H2Onut
04-13-2002, 07:00 PM
Seebold?

Mark75H
04-13-2002, 07:41 PM
Seebold was still racing kneel downs in 67.

delawarerick
04-13-2002, 08:14 PM
Carlson?

Laker
04-13-2002, 08:35 PM
Switzer shooting star

boston
04-13-2002, 10:15 PM
Magnum Missile.

Raceman
04-13-2002, 10:18 PM
I'm agreeing with Boston, although I've gotten myself a little confused over the difference between Magnum, Maltese, and Missile, it's gotta be somewhere in that family???????

Glastron/Molinari would be my next guess.

Laker, my old Shooting Star started as kind of a rounded tunnel at the front, but changed to a dead flat bottom from about half way back all the way to the transom.

Karl817
04-13-2002, 10:34 PM
Looking at the pictures, it looks like my Carlson, but I can't quite tell where the steering wheel is. On my Carlson it's on the left.

Ray Neudecker
04-14-2002, 01:18 PM
Magnum Missle.

Bruce Washburn
04-14-2002, 07:54 PM
That is from one of the first ads for the magnum missle.

Mark75H
04-14-2002, 08:09 PM

Capt.Insane-o
04-14-2002, 11:46 PM
Is that the throttle out there on the deck????????????

mr fun
04-15-2002, 01:45 AM
takin another one of his buddies wives out for a spin!:eek: from what i'm told he had a bad habbit of that.:rolleyes: fun out.

Flat Out
04-15-2002, 08:53 AM
There was a splash/copy called a Mikken made in Canada years ago. On a fall run one with a hopped up V6 Merc blew over.
Notice what type of motor is on the boat. A lighter less powerfull inline six. That was the most powerfull motor of the day.
All I'm trying to say is if you choose to mount a V6 on one of these hulls, please be carefull and respect it's and your limits.
Watch the wind and the wind coming off of other boats.
It is a pretty cool looking boat.
I can't believe that shifter. Thats bizzare.

Raceman
04-15-2002, 09:21 AM
I've never seen a gearshift like that on one. Sure he's not holdin' a goosneck???? Looks like a Bud to me........True.

My ole' bud that I'm always quotin' that retired from Merc, and his brother and first cousin bought 3 of those boats. Two had the old blue stripe pre-XS short 1500's and the third had a Twister 1. The first cousin with one of the 1500's blew his over and killed himself in it. Those boats were only capable of mid 70's with the interiors in em, high 70's when they stripped em down and kneeled in em. All these guys were basically scared of em with inlines and they all had tons of seat time in all kinds of stuff, working part time at Lake X as test drivers.

Those boats have a lot of lift built in the tunnel, just like everything else did in the late 60's/early 70's. I wouldn't even think of riddin' in one with a V6.

Rob King
04-15-2002, 05:48 PM
My cousin bought 1 off a used car lot because it looked cool. This was in the mid 70s he & I were about 18 at the time. He took it for the first drive ran it up to about 50 came right back in loaded it up and said thats enough for me its for sale. I talked him into keeping it for a while to get used to it, so back to the lake the next day I am in the drivers seat out for a ride with the cousin and my wife standing on shore almost no wind & no other boats around. after a few passes to get the feel of it I opened the throttle wide open and started bumping the trim. Tons of lift there was so much of the boat out of the water the nose was drifting from side to side to the point I thought it was going to blow around any second. Steering inputs became so critical that to correct the side drift about 1/8" steering wheel input would drift it back to the other side. Looking back I see how young & stupid I really was this didn't even scare me. The wife didn't see it that way she said she could see the otherside of the lake under the boat needless to say that was my last ride in the boat & my cousin sold it ASAP. Did run it up to a speedo indicated 78mph I am sure it wasn't going that fast but it sure was fun. This boat was titled simply as a Maltese Racing Hull it had full interior just like the ad & had a XS 150 hanging on the back. I cant believe anyone would think of hanging a V6 on 1 sounds like a death wish to me.

Thanks Rob

Mark75H
04-15-2002, 07:36 PM
Mercury Boathouse bulletin BHB 67-29-11, set up and performance with a 125 hp Merc. Includes prop info

Raceman
04-15-2002, 07:52 PM
Look at the speed cost of just adding another person......5.7 MPH. My friend used to unbolt the seats and take them out when he was gonna race somebody and kneel down in the boat. Seems like he said it was worth about 5 MPH. It's amazing they were that weight sensitive with all the lift they had in them. I guess it's because the flat surface on the bottom of the sponsons was so small.

Flat Out
04-16-2002, 08:03 AM
That is definately a MercControl flush mount shifter usually seen on I/Os. Man they did some goofy things back then. I do agree that these boats should not have V6s on them. The one I saw after the blowover was in pretty rough shape. Apparently its been repaired. I told the owner after the incident to park it permenently. I hope he dosen't let anyone drive it (he wasn't driving at the time). As much as we all love old boats they were not designed for the power we have available today. When it blew over it had full interior and a 200+ lb driver. The driver was hurt pretty badly, but has recovered.
Please be carefull when powering up an older hull. Spring has arrived and were all anxious to get out on the water. When you get there take it easy at first before you stuff your foot into it.

Potroast
05-29-2002, 08:28 PM
With the shift and throttle on the outside and the trim control on the center of the dash it can be a handfull at times. It's funny because in the original brochure it says that a foot throttle comes as standard equipment. Oh well I'll just take it very easy and cruise around the lake. It is worth the people staring and asking questions, besides I think an STV Euro is in future for me. And no I'm not selling the Magnum it will still be the Sunday cruiser.

helmetguru
06-01-2002, 04:01 AM
that cant be a throttle/shifter that has to be a longneck bud

jdd6
03-29-2010, 05:57 PM
any one know wher to find a shifter or long neck bud i am trying to restor my missile and just dont l;ike the shifter in the sponson not easy to hold

Mark Poole ModVP
03-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Used to be a guy on Lake Sinclair that had a Maltese Magnum V hull. Sat in his yard going to crap and would not sell it. Had a 1500 on it too.

jackie wilson
03-30-2010, 02:24 AM

Have to say, that thing looks more like a TORRIGIA than an original. In 1965 i brought back a 15' 4 seater Torrigia from Italy. Betcha Arronow met Jeremiah Cetti sometime that year
Willabee has the pictures of the boat

jackie wilson
03-30-2010, 02:33 AM
Mercury Boathouse bulletin BHB 67-29-11, set up and performance with a 125 hp Merc. Includes prop info

I raced The TORRIGIA in 1965 all over Europe and it always ran at 100 kph which is exactly what the boathouse bulletin says it did. Tried props, weight shifting, angle of attack, [ pinholes in those days ]. It always ran the same speed-------60 mph, no matter how loose you ran it. Blew it over in front of Joe Swift and Roy Ridgell, a full 360 and carried on racing.

gofish7070
03-30-2010, 10:56 AM
Cadillac Mcdaniels in his boat house has a Magnum Missle,,,,,,,,, Will be displayed with OFF party,,,,,,,,, Has not been redone but she is a missle,,,,,,,,,

jackie wilson
03-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Cadillac Mcdaniels in his boat house has a Magnum Missle,,,,,,,,, Will be displayed with OFF party,,,,,,,,, Has not been redone but she is a missle,,,,,,,,,

Cadillac has a bunch "not been redone's" .

Bob Zipps
03-31-2010, 05:40 PM
Don Aronow had a great gift for naming his boat companies and for coming up with model names for his boats.

The tunnel boat was the Maltese Magnum Missile 16. The Magnum Missile is 16 feet, six inches long.

The "V" bottom was the Maltese Magnum Marauder 16. The Magnum Marauder is 16 feet long.

An earlier post was correct in that the boat came with a foot throttle, but it is my understanding that foot throttle was not installed at the factory. It came separately and had to be installed by the boat owner.

The boat came with single cable steering. Might have been a source of a problem for some of those drivers mentioned earlier in this thread.

The wood insets were not sealed on the back side at the factory. Over time, the wood insets deteriorated from the inside out, and everyone that I have seen has had to have the wood insets replaced. If you replace the wood insets, please be sure to thoroughly seal the back side of all the wood insets.

The wood insets are installed in recesses in the fiberglass. Under the wood inset on the front deck is a really large access hole in the fiberglass recess. You just can't just remove the wood insets, and leave them off.

From what I have seen, there are basically two different rear deck/well styles. The easiest way to describe the difference is that the earlier style had the Monza gas tank filler cap on the side deck of the boat, and the later style had that filler cap on top of the rear deck.

The Magnum Missile pictured in the ad in an earlier post on this thread shows the Filler Cap on the side side of the boat.

Sorry for long post. Hope that this helps. Bob Zipps

Mark75H
03-31-2010, 05:45 PM
No problem on the length Bob. I wish you would comment more often. Your advice and input is always appreciated.

Bob Zipps
03-31-2010, 10:57 PM
What is interesting is that both Mercury and Johnson used a Magnum Missile on the cover and in the interior of their respective 1970 Model Year Sales Catalogs.

Mercury's largest service motor for 1970 was their 99.8 cube 135 horse motor, and the 1970 Model Year Mercury Sales Catalog Cover shows one of these motors on the back of a Magnum Missile. There are two people in the boat, and the motor is tilted way out. This Magnum Missile shown is the earlier style as it has the filler cap on the side of the boat just ahead of the wood inset.

What is also interesting in this Mercury Cover Picture is that the boat has the newer style Magnum Decal which is located on top of the side wood inset. It appears that only the very early Magnum Missiles had the very large Magnum decal which was applied of the side of the boat just ahead of the wood inset. For the very early Magnum Missiles, they probably just grabbed decals that were intended for the large Magnum Off Shore Boats and used them, then obtained some decals of a more appropriate size for the Magnum Missile.

The image inside the 1970 Model Year Mercury Catalog is a great overhead shot showing the boat going by in a blur. Magnum used this same type of photo in their advertising, but it is a different Magnum Missile boat.

Johnson's largest service motor for 1970 was their 96.1 cube 115 horse motor. The cover shows one of these motors on a Magnum Missile.

On page 4 of the 1970 Johnson Model Year Sales Catalog, there is a great picture of the Magnum Missile running on plane with the 4 people on board. This shot really shows the absolutely beautiful sculptured lines of a Magnum Missile. This Magnum Missile has the later style rear deck with the filler cap mounted on top of the deck. It also has the later Magnum Decal which was applied on the wood inset.

Please track down these two catalogs and take a look.

Hope that this helps. Bob Zipps

2us70
04-01-2010, 09:33 AM
In the late 60s there were several Missles raced in South Florida. The single engine boats were mostly not front runners. Three of them were run in UU class with twins. The fastest of these was Albert Enzweiler's wood decked kneeldown version. It was the fastest UU boat around here until he blew it over on the back stretch at the marine stadium and ended his racing for good. I saw that one and it was a big one. Guy Radiano also ran a stock sitdown Missle with twins which was pretty competitive. His blowover picture made the cover of the Nationals race program. That picture has been posted in this forum a few times. There was one other twin engine boat run but it was not competitetive and the owner/driver was fortunate to survive his ineptitude at boat racing.

seeroy
04-01-2010, 12:40 PM
I guess this would be a good place to post an excerpt from a bit I wrote a couple of years ago on the "Life At Lake X in the 60's" thread. During one summer I worked for Don Aronow instead of working at Lake X. The following occured after returning from the Long Beach-San Diego-Long Beach race in 196X.

"When things finally quieted down back in Miami, Don asked me to rig a small tunnel hull that he had acquired. I had a little time in a Molinari at Lake X, so I took that project on with relish. I finally got the tunnel in the water and ran it around the area some. It crowhopped alot but it ran pretty well. I went back to the dock and got Don. We ran around for awhile and, since this was his first ride in a tunnel, he was thrilled. Also, it was his birthday and he proclaimed this ride to be a great present. He went back into the office and, as I walked by the parts room, I noticed an "elephant ear" prop on the floor. I didn't know who it belonged to...so...I immediately acquired it for Don's birthday boat. WOW! Now it flew like the Molinari had at the Lake. I went into the office and told Don he had to go for another ride. He said he was too busy... I finally convinced him that he had to go for another ride....which he did. He could not believe how much better it ran and told me to strip the boat immediately so he could pull a mold from it.....which he did. Thus was born the "Magnum Missle"." - Seeroy

jackie wilson
04-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Aw, C'mon Steve-----------WHERE or from WHOM did he acquire the boat. ???

2us70
04-01-2010, 02:14 PM
I heard back then that the Missle was a Schultze copy but that was just a rumor going around at the time. I was pretty far down on the racing food chain back then so rumors were all the info I got.

Mark75H
04-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Alan Brown says Schulze built the boat specifically for Magnum

willabee
04-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Have to say, that thing looks more like a TORRIGIA than an original. In 1965 i brought back a 15' 4 seater Torrigia from Italy. Betcha Arronow met Jeremiah Cetti sometime that year
Willabee has the pictures of the boat

Jackie, I can't find a picture of the small Torrigia.

Here's Jackie's big Torrigia - Ensweiler & Gagan "UU" class Miami 69 - Tom Sikes in a Missle - Doc Appleton in a Dutchman and Don Clark in an early Molinari.....sorta similar?

2us70
04-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Those pics are great. I had forgoten all about Tommy Sikes boat. I think it was one of his " Chickenships". Also I have not seen even a picture of Albert's boat since he blew it over. Albert until his accident was one of the truly colorful characters of South Florida boat racing. It seemed like Albert never saw a race boat that he could not improve by cutting it down just a little bit more.

Mike Bruton
04-01-2010, 08:57 PM
Does anyone know how many of those early open cockpit molinaris were brought over here. Ken Mann in Houston ran one in70 & tore up the competetion there. I wander if any are still alive.

Mark75H
04-01-2010, 09:20 PM
I think Don Clark's motor has red stripes ... that would make it a 68 motor ... pic could be late 67

jackie wilson
04-02-2010, 01:48 AM
Alan Brown says Schulze built the boat specifically for Magnum

I ran Schulzes for a couple of years around '67 and made regular trips to Saltsberg and Dieter never built anything like that, he was his own man and never copied anybody. The 'Missile is too Italian for it to be anything other than Italian.

T2x
04-02-2010, 07:33 AM
I ran Schulzes for a couple of years around '67 and made regular trips to Saltsberg and Dieter never built anything like that, he was his own man and never copied anybody. The 'Missile is too Italian for it to be anything other than Italian.

I beg to differ. The first two tunnel boats that went to a privateer in the states came into Linden, NJ for Bob Meyer who owned Linden Airport. I believe the year was 1966...but it could have been '67. They were both Schultz Hydro Cats one was a single the other a dual. They both looked exactly like the Magnum Missille. The dual ran in a race in Nyack on the Hudson river, but there were big swells that day and an inexperienced driver so it didn't show much. He retired soon after and I don't know where the hull wound up. The single may have wound up with Aronow as he certainly knew Meyer from his days in NJ.

T2x

jackie wilson
04-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Well we both agree to differ on this one. Knew Dieter from his hydro days through to his tunnels, and the "missile" does not fit into anything he ever built. You could see where the tunnels came from if you ever saw his hydros. Still think it came from Italy T2X, and yes i am a beligerant old curmudgeon [but with a broad back]. Just wonder if copyrights came into this equation, and it could not possibly be seen to be one of the Merc factory boats, could it???

seeroy
04-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Aw, C'mon Steve-----------WHERE or from WHOM did he acquire the boat. ???

Good Morning Jackie - I honestly don't know where or from whom it came ;).
As if by magic, it was just there!!

Oct 14-17 OFF2010 announcements coming in the next week or two. :cheers:

jackie wilson
04-02-2010, 04:09 PM
I believe you Steve !!!!!!!! If you ever saw the line up of Molinari's on an earlier thread, [ Hot Singles, i think ] from 1966, you could see the heritage of the tunnel Magnum. Think Don A. was good at pulling strokes, and keeping ahead of his time.

peterse90
04-05-2010, 10:14 PM
What is interesting is that both Mercury and Johnson used a Magnum Missile on the cover and in the interior of their respective 1970 Model Year Sales Catalogs.

Mercury's largest service motor for 1970 was their 99.8 cube 135 horse motor, and the 1970 Model Year Mercury Sales Catalog Cover shows one of these motors on the back of a Magnum Missile. There are two people in the boat, and the motor is tilted way out. This Magnum Missile shown is the earlier style as it has the filler cap on the side of the boat just ahead of the wood inset.

What is also interesting in this Mercury Cover Picture is that the boat has the newer style Magnum Decal which is located on top of the side wood inset. It appears that only the very early Magnum Missiles had the very large Magnum decal which was applied of the side of the boat just ahead of the wood inset. For the very early Magnum Missiles, they probably just grabbed decals that were intended for the large Magnum Off Shore Boats and used them, then obtained some decals of a more appropriate size for the Magnum Missile.

The image inside the 1970 Model Year Mercury Catalog is a great overhead shot showing the boat going by in a blur. Magnum used this same type of photo in their advertising, but it is a different Magnum Missile boat.

Johnson's largest service motor for 1970 was their 96.1 cube 115 horse motor. The cover shows one of these motors on a Magnum Missile.

On page 4 of the 1970 Johnson Model Year Sales Catalog, there is a great picture of the Magnum Missile running on plane with the 4 people on board. This shot really shows the absolutely beautiful sculptured lines of a Magnum Missile. This Magnum Missile has the later style rear deck with the filler cap mounted on top of the deck. It also has the later Magnum Decal which was applied on the wood inset.

Please track down these two catalogs and take a look.

Hope that this helps. Bob Zipps

Here's the 1970 Johnson brochure (Canadian version) with the Magnum pictures.
Note Magnum Marine wood insert logo, vertical fuel fill and of course no external shifter/throttle.

Cig35Mistress
04-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Anyone here interested in a 1968 16' Missile project hull and trailer? I've got one laying dormant in South Florida and I'm contemplating selling her.

Potroast
04-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Condition, color, $$$$$$$$. I have one but am always looking for more. I might be interested.

Cig35Mistress
04-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Shoot me a private message with your email address and I'll reply with some pics. Transom is questionable at best, but the rest seems very solid. No interior. Heavy steel trailer. Boat is virtually all original white gelcoat, except for a couple of spots where I "experimented" with a puff can! :D

Harry

HeavyDuty
09-30-2014, 08:29 PM
Loved reading this one! Great info from you guys, a belated thanks!

I just bought a 1968 Magnum Missile, I collect old Magnums, I have 3 27's in my yard and always looking for more punishment!

I found this one on eBay, if anyone saw it, it was in Iowa, I bought it and had it transported and was shocked at how nice it is.

Perfect interior, nice paint or gelcoat, haven't dug into it enough yet, and I know it was restored and put away and I bought it from the guys estate.

Problem with it, has a 1987 Evinrude XP200, so I've read enough to know that its a death trap. Goal is to find a red striped 1250 Merc and do it original.

Anyone with info about them and any help in putting it back to original or nicer than original. Especially looking for what to do with the wood inserts, saw one pic with the Magnum logo on it, want to see if that was a regular application, or year specific, etc.

Thanks for any help. Phil

Mark75H
09-30-2014, 10:22 PM
I would bump up a year or 3 or 4 and go with a 1350 or 1400 even though the blue striped motor would be a couple years newer than the boat. You could aways backdate the decals.

HeavyDuty
10-01-2014, 04:46 AM
Good idea, was thinking that same thing, and I remember all of them- my dad was a Merc dealer from 1966 to 1975, pairing them with MonArk aluminum jon boats, and the old original Skeeter bass boats- the wedge type- in a place called Whites Ferry in Maryland. I remember the tower of power motors coming in, we used to use the empty boxes to make forts out of them...

Thanks!