PDA

View Full Version : Splatter Painting

Riverman
11-10-2006, 09:33 AM
The gel is done on the inside of the Viper and I am ready to splatter paint. I have read up on most of the posts about the subject, particularily this one (http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74049&highlight=splatter)by Jeff_G.

Well, off to the supply house to get red and yellow paint and guess what? Lacquer paint is no longer available, my supplier says it hasn't been available in Canada for 8 years! Any suggestions on a substitute?

1BadAction
11-10-2006, 09:53 AM
use clear gel with tint and webbing solution... thats how mine is done and it came out tits.

http://img53.echo.cx/img53/1294/IM001218.jpg

Riverman
11-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Jim, what is webbing solution? And will it work with any kind of paint?

1BadAction
11-10-2006, 10:34 AM
theres webbing solution for gel, and for polyurethane based paints. mix it up with the paint, follow the directions on the can on how to shoot the mix (usually like 24psi with conventional and as heavy on the paint as you can go) and the paint comes out of the gun webbed like that. by playing with the settings on the gun you can get it long and stringy or shorter thinner webs.

Riverman
11-10-2006, 11:03 AM
:cool: :cool: :cool:
As usual, you are a great help.

Riverman
11-10-2006, 12:17 PM
I copied this off the Fibreglass Warehouse website. Can't find a product compatible with paint though.

Webbing Solution is a clear liquid added to gel coat to obtain “spatter” or “cobweb” effects. It is mixed with a gel coat of one color, and sprayed onto a contrasting colored surface. Decorative effects produced by the webbing mixture will vary, and relate directly to techniques or gun adjustments. A fine hairline spider web pattern results from plenty of air and scanty material flow. Coarse and splotchy patterns are created by fuller material flow and decreased air volume. Experimentation will help determine the desired effect. Webbing Solution is a clear liquid added to gel coat to obtain “spatter” or “cobweb” effects. It is mixed with a gel coat of one color, and sprayed onto a contrasting colored surface. Decorative effects produced by the webbing mixture will vary, and relate directly to techniques or gun adjustments. A fine hairline spider web pattern results from plenty of air and scanty material flow. Coarse and splotchy patterns are created by fuller material flow and decreased air volume. Experimentation will help determine the desired effect.

1BadAction
11-10-2006, 12:49 PM
Jeff, I know for sure they make it for paint too. cant for the life of me remember what it was called, but i sure do remember the paint job. (rc boat lime green with black webbing) I'll make a few calls and see if i can find anything.

1BadAction
11-10-2006, 12:57 PM
http://www.awlgrip.com/Datasheets/AWLGRIP%20TOPCOAT.pdf

"spatter it" additive

Fast Fig
11-15-2006, 11:08 PM
Webbing is a good looking, inexpensive and durable no frills, finish for your interior, if your not going to carpet. Good luck Jeff.

Hey Youngblood how's the paint job on your Action coming along? Hollar at me! FIG

Riverman
11-16-2006, 09:15 AM
Guess what? I did manage to find a lacquer base that can be tinted, from people that really know what they are doing. It turns out that lacquer is still used in the furniture/cabinet industry and there is no shortage of that here. Thanks to RKR Coatings, a 2 minute drive from my work!

I'm going with red and yellow. Painters, (Fig/Bilge) which should I put on first?

1BadAction
11-16-2006, 09:18 AM
put the light color down first, the red will most likely bleed through the yellow... unless you want the yellow to be tinted.

Riverman
11-16-2006, 02:00 PM
See, I'm glad I asked. I would have done it the other way.

I have two guns, a 1.4mm HVLP and a 2mm air pot. I assume the bigger gun will work better?

Riverman
12-13-2006, 10:30 PM
Tried it today with the yellow first. Worked great on the test panel, went into the boat and it turned into mucky spray paint. Back to the test panel, could not get it to work again. Messed around with it for 1/2 hour, no luck. Washed off what I did and gave up, all it did was make a big stinky mess.

$130 on paint for nothing. :mad:

150aintenuff
12-17-2006, 01:38 AM
boy I know that feeling.... hope you get your desired results..

Six Four
12-18-2006, 09:34 PM
why could you not sling it on with a brush , or even take a paint stick and spray your paint on to it while holding it close to the tip of the spray gun with it on a narrow fan?? Just paint and Hardner with no thinner

tigweld
12-20-2006, 06:45 PM
I have tried the brush method, with bad luck.

I get great results with with a spray gun. I lay down the base color(gel or paint), and let it dry. Then I spray the speckle cote with a hvlp or cheap gun, regulated down to 1-2 psi. I use a test panel to set the pattern, starting with the air pressure off, slowly increasing it to get best pattern. If I am using paint, I dont thin it.

Six Four
12-20-2006, 07:01 PM
YOu got a better pic of your boats interior?
Kinda like to see how you got it set up

tigweld
12-20-2006, 09:48 PM
Here is another one.

Six Four
04-16-2007, 09:13 PM
I will be doing mine that way in a few weeks

bigboy
04-17-2007, 09:48 AM
This is how i did it! Just flick the paint in with my fingers.

Six Four
04-18-2007, 09:44 PM
looks good bigboi

Six Four
01-01-2008, 06:02 PM
I can say that the methode that Jeff_G suggested with the laquer paint and contact cement really works I'll post pics in a few

Cobra1racer
01-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Use webbing solution. Mix it with the gel and shoot out of a gun. Then you can pretend you are SpiderMan. Or Spider Pig.

6 4 good job on te seller list.

Six Four
01-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Use webbing solution. Mix it with the gel and shoot out of a gun. Then you can pretend you are SpiderMan. Or Spider Pig.

6 4 good job on te seller list.

Cobraonerace, the mixture that Jeff_G suggested works like that as well, acts like silly string,lol

Cobra1racer
01-02-2008, 06:42 PM
There you go, now if only your wife could get you out of your Spidey PJ's.lol

Six Four
01-03-2008, 09:39 PM
my first try, its not been wiped off yet either

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t79/sixfour_photo/Shandonsboat1.jpg