PDA

View Full Version : New Nikon D40 DSLR photos and specs supposedly leaked.

Scream And Fly
11-06-2006, 04:13 AM
Looks like an entry-level body that's even more affordable than the D50. "Leaked" specs are supposedly:

Relevant Specs:

6.1 Megapixels
Compressed 12-bit NEF, JPEG
3 AF points
2.5″ 230K pixel LCD
Up to 19x magnification
TTL (ISO 200 - 1600, HI1)
3 metering modes (420px meter):
3D Color Matrix Metering II
Center-weighted metering (75% of center field)
8mm spot
Program modes including flash… (Portrait, Landscape, Night, Spot, Child, Night Portrait)
i-TTL compatible
1/500 Flash Sync
USB 2.0
SD, SD-HC
Lithium-Ion EN-EL9
94×126x64 mm
475 grams without battery, memory card, LCD cover or body cap

Ziemer
11-06-2006, 10:05 AM
How does that compare to the D50?

Casey
11-06-2006, 10:38 AM
from what i've read the only thing it has that's better then a D50 is the 2.5" LCD

Scream And Fly
11-07-2006, 04:09 AM
If the specs on the D40 are accurate, the D50 smokes it.

The Big Al
11-07-2006, 04:26 AM
I have been studying this very subject for the last few days.

The D80 is at the limit of my buget (Nikon List price)

But truly do not understand the Digital terms of use.

I'm a old 35mm nut, and have won some competitions in High School with my photo's that were destroyed in my Grandmothers house fire. (years ago)

I used Cannon back then, XG1 ad XG7 and a Pentax Sportamatic that I still own today. Total manual camera, it is what I learned on.
I have several filters and lens, favorite being a 70 to 200 macro.

But all that stuff is obsolete.

So shed some light her Greg in simple terms!

And to a novice, is spending the money on the upper models useful when the options will probably not be used?

Scream And Fly
11-07-2006, 04:35 AM
To keep it simple:

Camera bodies don't matter as much as the lenses do. Of course, the photographer's technique matters the most. I would much rather have lower-end body with a pro lens than a pro body with a consumer lens. When you make a decision on an SLR camera brand, you're buying into the lens system as well. The two top brands are Canon and Nikon. In my opinion, both are about equal in quality, image quality, and lens options.

If you have older lenses of either brand, they may work with some of the modern SLR bodies. That's something that depends on exactly what lenses you have.

Spending extra on a pro-level body will not help you. If anything, it will hurt the learning process. That would be like trying to learn how to ride a bike by using a unicycle.

The entry level bodies from Canon and Nikon will produce professional results in the hands of an experienced photographer. Both will allow full manual control as well.

Greg

The Big Al
11-07-2006, 04:53 AM
Over the last few days there's been a lot of buzz about a new Nikon DSLR reportedly coming out in the coming months - the Nikon D40.
Causing the stir are a series of pictures of the Nikon D40 (see left and below).
The legitimacy of the pictures and the specifications of the Nikon D40 are of course being argued about (as is always the case when rumors and leaks abound regarding new cameras) but the general consensus is that the Nikon D40 is real and is an entry level DSLR (under the D50 - smaller and lighter) and will have a 6.1 megapixel sensor, 2.5 inch LCD, 2.5 frames per second burst mode, ISO 200 to 3200, 3 AF points, 3 metering modes, USB 2.0.
The Nikon D40 is said to be have a retail price of around $499 USD (body only) or $599 with a new G-II version of the 18-55mm lens.
We're not yet hearing anything on date of release on the Nikon D40 yet but will continue to update this page as news breaks.
Spread the news about the Nikon D40 by Digging This (http://digg.com/gadgets/Possible_low_end_model_in_Nikon_s_DSLR_line_up)
http://www.livingroom.org.au/photolog/Nikon-D40-back-1.jpg
http://www.livingroom.org.au/photolog/Nikon-D40-1.jpg

Scream And Fly
11-07-2006, 04:54 AM
If the D40 is real, I wouldn't consider it. If you want an awesome SLR, my advice is to get a D50 while you still can.

The Big Al
11-07-2006, 04:57 AM
If the D40 is real, I wouldn't consider it. If you want an awesome SLR, my advice is to get a D50 while you still can.

I see price is coming down also for the D50.

So my timing could be great!

AL

Stoker1
11-07-2006, 04:58 AM
Al, I can relate.

My past experience was with an EOS Rebel 35mm. Love it and still pop off a few once in a while. Learned how to take some good shots to the point that my friends would buy a roll of film & ask me to do a "sitting" for them. You know, various places outside, next to some blooming trees, by the lake, etc. Never really got too good indoors, but outside has been fairly easy to get a good still shot.

Digital wise we've owned two pocket types and now the D50. Its very close in size to the 35mm Rebel. If my wife says she likes it then there is something good about it. She's hated the pocket types since day one & has not been able to take a good picture to save her life.

As big as the D50 is, she LOVES IT~!. The years we've been together, Ive been the one taking pics, but not now. Actually get to be in a few with our daughter and I'm thankful for it.

Al, the D50 is easy as cake. Buy one & you'll be happy. I asked many questions on this board & got good responses from Greg & others. The main thing they told me was play with it and learn, but for the average guy like myself, its got more features than you'll ever use. Well, thats still true, but now we're in the experimenting phase and its only getting better.

Words from Jamies diary. :D

Btw, if you're interested in a good package deal. Try ww.cordcamera.com (http://www.cordcamera.com)
Don't buy through their website but look them up on ebay. They have some AWESOME package deals. I'm pleased to say the least.

Peace.

The Big Al
11-07-2006, 05:03 AM
thanks Stroker, seems they have a good package price.

And thanks to you too Greg!!!

Stoker1
11-07-2006, 06:21 AM
Lets try this. They're large but it'll give you an idea of how well it does.

Here's me & my 3 year old:

http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/41fb5f16zf8a9614b/3ad7scd/__sr_/e07cscd.jpg?phwnHUFBO3OHiJCP

http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/41fb5f16zf8a9614b/3ad7scd/__sr_/194bscd.jpg?phwnHUFB3BbdzBwK

Stoker1
11-07-2006, 06:25 AM
Two more but you get the idea.

I love this camera.

Notice in this pic the rock is stopped perfectly in mid air.

http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/41fb5f16zf8a9614b/3ad7scd/__sr_/df02scd.jpg?phY3HUFBKRJdMVyK

Ziemer
11-07-2006, 08:28 AM
The Nikon D40 is said to be have a retail price of around $499 USD (body only) or $599 with a new G-II version of the 18-55mm lens.

Would seem silly to buy a D40 when the D50 is the same price. :confused: :confused: Are they trying to market it as more of a "point & shoot" SLR ???

jphii
11-07-2006, 08:57 AM
I bought my D50 for $503 with the 18-55mm lens. Check Staples, that's where I got it.

Scream And Fly
11-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Would seem silly to buy a D40 when the D50 is the same price. :confused: :confused: Are they trying to market it as more of a "point & shoot" SLR ???
The D80 may be the replacement for the D50/D70, which makes sense to me, since it seems to be a synthesis of the two with updates added. I think the D40 is going to be an extremely low-cost SLR. Rumors indicate that the D40 can use AF-S lenses only. It has no internal focus motor. As is the case with the D50, I seriously doubt the D40 will have Commander Mode, for firing flashes wirelessly.

Greg

The Big Al
11-10-2006, 04:07 AM
I bought my D50 for $503 with the 18-55mm lens. Check Staples, that's where I got it.

You only did that because your always playing with that EASY button!