PDA

View Full Version : Smaller Antennas

Mastercraft241
11-03-2006, 04:09 PM
I have this huge antena that sits on the driverside of the boat and it stands up like 3 feet into the air. Its really anoyying to have this huge unwanted thing there. Are there any other antennas that are smaller almost unnoticable. I need one that does its job and doesnt interfer with the achual boat.

Mastercraft241
11-05-2006, 11:58 AM
anything???

tripledude2
11-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Does it mount like car antenna??? I put a short one on my Vette. Scres on the old stud and comes with adaptors for different sizes. The one I have is a rubber type material that actually bends at speed. They now have the solid type. I think mines about 13 inches long. Works fine. Check any Vette parts place. Even ebay. They're cheap.

Mastercraft241
11-05-2006, 08:59 PM
here, maybe this could give you a better idea of what i looks like. it goes all the way back to the teak.

sho305
12-20-2006, 07:38 PM
What is it for FM radio or marine?

Mastercraft241
12-21-2006, 06:48 AM
yeah for the regular radio, fm and am

sho305
12-21-2006, 05:18 PM
Problem is the mounting of that, how big is the base? You could look for the same type only shorter, I assume you need to lower it for a cover/etc. If you swap to an automotive type it takes a big hole to mount and you would need the kind that lowers easily. I have seen some with a small retracting antenna but they were black, color is a problem too. Or you could mount an auto one elsewhere like under the deck. I have a 19' I/O that has a plain old chrome car antenna on it. It just sits on there on a pin, I simpy take it off and lay it there to cover the boat. It does not come off driving around, that boat is heavy and I don't beat it. My other boats had a standard one attached under the deck and they don't work the best. Sometimes I wonder about getting a smaller car one about 1' high, mounting it to an aluminum plate, and mounting the plate 1' below the deck up under the bow or dash. They work best straight up and the plate would make a ground plane for it. I don't use the radio much so I have not done it. You could try that and just leave the other one down all the time also.

You could also try an antenna amp on one under the deck.

Hottrucks
12-21-2006, 06:04 PM
Put in a power attena and be done with it if the hole is to big make a nice piece of teak to cover the hole and mount the antenna in.. it looks kool and is out of the way