PDA

View Full Version : new puter & anti virus

Stoker1
11-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Hello,

Have finally got the new Dell Inspirion up and online this evening. My questions are about the anti virus.

My security center says that the antivirus is not found. Thought it came with it?

Firewall is good.

I want to go back with the Spysweeper but don't know exactly what to do.

Any assistance is appreciated.

BTw,
Love the new S&F stickers. You guys rock.
Jamie

Scream And Fly
11-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Hey Jamie, how are you? The new Dell should have arrived with a trial subscription to McAfee Security Center. It's alright, but way overbloated.

Here are some options:

Avast Antivirus - very good, and free: http://www.avast.com/
Grisoft AVG Antivirus - another very good free product: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1
NOD32 - the best antivirus application in existance, in my opinion: http://www.eset.com/products/index.php
For antispyware, Windows Defender (http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx) is completely free. Make sure you update that machine to Internet Explorer 7 and/or run Firefox.

Greg

Stoker1
11-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Rock & Roll.

I'm there after I get done updating my S&F membership. Have a wonderful weekend.:)

Stoker1
11-03-2006, 04:38 PM
again, Rock & Rolla', Rolla' Coaster.

Greg, thank you. Got everything downloaded and installed. Went with the NOD32 & the Defender after updating to Win7.

Though I don't own a hotboat and can't participate in that arena, you guys are still family and allow me to live my passion through you. The membership more than pays for its self in these areas & allows me to live my passion through the other members.

Words can't begin to express my gratitude.:)

pyro
11-03-2006, 05:31 PM
My Dell anti-virus never worked right either. It rejected me when I tried to register it, so I could never update definitions.

Scream And Fly
11-05-2006, 04:00 PM
Though I don't own a hotboat and can't participate in that arena, you guys are still family and allow me to live my passion through you. The membership more than pays for its self in these areas & allows me to live my passion through the other members.

Words can't begin to express my gratitude.:)

Jamie, I'm glad you feel that way, because we feel the same way about you. I hope you'll always stay here :)

Greg

Stoker1
12-03-2006, 03:38 AM
Greg, running into a problem now.

The NOD 30 day trial has expired & I want to purchase it. Problem is that I'm in Germany and when I click on the link to buy, it redirects me to the German language version as my ISP is T-Online (a german company).

Naturally I'd like the English version. Can you help?

Many thanks,
Jamie

Scream And Fly
12-03-2006, 04:50 AM
Jamie, you could try going through a proxy server. Do you know how to do that?

Stoker1
12-03-2006, 05:16 AM
No Bud, sure don't.

If possible, I'll give you a call around noon EST. Is this alright?
Also need to discuss a little care package for all your help.:)

Scream And Fly
12-03-2006, 05:57 AM
I will be in and out all day - my dad is back in the hospital, so I'll be going there today (not sure what time, depending on what he needs). I'll try to be around then though.

In case you want to try, here's some quick info. A public proxy allows your computer to essentially browse other sites 'through' another server's connection. Most mail spammers use proxy servers.:mad:

Anyway, any Google search will reveal free, public proxy server listings. During the Iraq invasion a few years ago, I used a proxy server to access unofficial Iraqi web casts, which was very interesting. They had cameras all over, and you could see the war happening in real time.

This site is one of the most popular: http://www.publicproxyservers.com/

To allow your browser to access the proxy server you choose, simply follow the these instructions:

Internet Explorer 6 (not sure of settings for IE7, never checked)
Click "Service" \ "Internet Options";
Click "Connections";
If you use Dial-Up connection, choose your connection and click "Settings" button.
if you use LAN connection, click "LAN Settings" button in the "Local Area Network (LAN) Settings" group box;
Enable "Use a proxy server";
In fields "Address" and "Port", type proxy name and proxy port number;
If necessary, enable "Bypass proxy server for local addresses";
Click "OK";
Click "OK" to close IE settings.Mozilla
Click "Edit" \ "Preferences";
Click "Category" \ "Advanced" \ "Proxies";
Set "Manual proxy configuration";
Click "View" at "Manual proxy configuration";
Set proxies for following protocols: HTTP, FTP, etc.If you don't want to muck around with those settings, could you email Eset (NOD) with your situation? I'm sure they'll be willing to help.

Stoker1
12-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Greg, thank you for your trouble. Hope your father is doing better. Our thoughts are with you & the family.

Emailed ESET & they took care of me right away. Even gave a little discount for two years & two computers.

Anything you need from out this way, give a holler.

Jamie