PDA

View Full Version : first 4 cylinder König

Mark75H
04-11-2002, 11:11 PM
The first series of König 4 cylinder opposed racing motors did not have the now familiar side mounted rotary valve....instead they were piston port intake (also known someplaces as "3rd port"). Here is a photo of the carb side showing the 4 carbs...one on each cylinder. This scheme lets mixture into the crankcase as each piston heads toward TDC, controlled by the bottom of the piston skirt rather than reeds or a timed rotor.

I think this was 1964....

Shortly thereafter Fuji in Japan built an almost identical motor. The Fuji's so closely resemble the current Yamato alky racer I'm pretty sure Fuji was bought out by Yamato. Yamato just about killed their alky reputation with a very fast but finicky racer in the 70's. I've been told the problem was the in house carbs they made for it.....switch to Mikuni's and it is as fast and reliable as a König...mabe faster!

Mark75H
04-11-2002, 11:24 PM
Here is the 70's version of the Yamato alky racer...

delawarerick
04-12-2002, 06:31 AM
Sam what are all the holes in the gearcase for? Never seen anything like that. Thanks Delawarerick

Mark75H
04-12-2002, 05:18 PM
Those are the heads of the socket head bolts that hold the gearcase together. That thing splits down the center, half and half. It is bolted together. The other side is smooth.

Even though it looks more like a hunk of swiss cheese, this lower unit is the one racers call "the hatchet"

You need to get to a few more alky races. There will be 4 or 5 alkies at Denton, MD July 13 & 14....practially in your back yard.

Mark75H
07-18-2002, 07:49 PM
Compare the Yamato R's to the König piston port motor....pretty close

BTW: yes the ad does say replacement gears $15 a set

OK the pic is in the next post, duh!

Mark75H
07-18-2002, 07:54 PM
Yamato alky ad full page from Propeller March 1977

Mark75H
07-18-2002, 07:59 PM
By shear chance I came upon a racer using an old Yamato alky foot a few weeks ago.