PDA

View Full Version : Old Kitson from the rear

Raceman
04-10-2002, 10:23 PM
Maybe the resto'll finally get started this year

crazy horse
04-11-2002, 07:01 AM
Raceman ,Thanks for that shot of the twin stacker ya gotta love the way they look. I'd like a hi-res shot at that angle , If you ever get any send me one.

H2Onut
04-11-2002, 08:43 PM
How fast would that thing run all spiffed up ?

It looks Scarey fast....

Raceman
04-11-2002, 08:57 PM
I dunno about the speed. We ran it once or twice when I first got it. The previous (original) owner was claiming 105+ but not with me in it. It has a Keller speedo, which was the benchmark for accuracy in the old days before radar & GPS, so either he saw the speed or was exagerating. It's got 1:1 gears and 17 pitch blades, so I guess it's just a matter of how hard he turned it.

crazy horse
04-11-2002, 09:08 PM
Raceman, 17" props? That would be kinda tight. But man would that bitch scream at that rpm level!

Raceman
04-11-2002, 10:16 PM
Don't forget the 1:1 gear ratio's which makes them roughly the equivalent of 34's on 2:1's or 32's with 1.87's. Those little SSM's really scream those blades.

Ron Hill
04-11-2002, 11:22 PM
Sure that boat ain't a Glastron/Molinari? 21 foot?? Kitson "splashed", I thought, the Miles Masters....Fred Miles of England... 1968 ish...

Mark75H
04-11-2002, 11:53 PM
A Molinari. Laydown, 1962. Sergio Carniti driving the V-4.

#14 is a Schulze with a 2 cylinder deflector König...the last of its breed

Raceman
04-12-2002, 07:09 AM
Ron, it's got some real old Kitson stickers on it. I went and looked at an old Glastron/Molinari in Fla a couple of years ago and it was so far gone from years in the weather that I didn't fool with it, but it had some differences from my boat. You're right about the size, it's about a 21.

I've never seen one of these boats run anywhere except for playing with mine at the lake a little bit. The DNR told me that if I ever so much as crank it on my boatramp again they're gonna write me an anti noise violation, so I guess it's just a show horse from now on. How fast do you think these things were capable of runnin' Ron?

crazy horse
04-12-2002, 07:44 AM
Raceman, I got the same warning when I ran a 44ci. merc quincy on my moms lake. I bet if the wind is right you might here from the DNR in the next state. Must have been hard to run behind a stacker back then, Some of those races were 8 hours long! Bet those guys heads are still ringing.

Flat Out
04-12-2002, 08:46 AM
Try to leave it as original as possible. Like yourself I've restored old Corvettes and always appreciate an all or close to original car. Obviously you have to make it safe, but don't erase its racing history. If you ever run it again you should record the sound of the motors and sell CDs.
Definately a menacing look from the rear.

Mark75H
04-12-2002, 05:32 PM
To Maryland. So far outboards are exempt from noise requirements....(except for anything stupid like waking up your neighbors at 5 am, etc). I asked my elementary school buddy Bill, who is now the field supervisor for enforcement for Maryland's DNR for my area, and even he can't give me a ticket in the middle of the day in the middle of the river or bay.

Anyone in driving range that wants to run something LOUD contact me and I'll give you a date and location where LOUD stuff will be welcome.

First weekend in May the Calvert County Marine Museum is having an invitational display/meet.

Len Lupton's AOMCI meet at Madison Bay (near Cambridge, MD) should also be a great place to run loud stuff. Great ramp...kinda remote from people who'd complain. Semi protected water...about a mile straight away possible 1/2 mile wide.

Don't forget......the bi-annual Antique Raceboat Regatta, Clayton, NY is this year-------> August.

Raceman
04-13-2002, 08:37 AM
Flat, that's kinda what I have in mind......originality, but with an exception or 2. It's got old Kitson stickers on both sides and I plan on getting a sticker shop to repop them. The only change I'm gonna make are on the stripes. Since the boat was apparently only race regionally by a relatively unknown driver (nationally anyway) I think I'm gonna change the color of the stripes which were apparently available from Kitson to owner's taste. I'm thinking of trying to mimick the candy apple red look of the engine stickers on the stripes, probably with some white pinstripes mixed in instead of the yellow that came on the boat. Otherwise it's gonna get new vintage guages which I'm sure will show on E Bay sooner or later and one of the Corvette guage shops told me they would take on the Keller speedo for a cosmetic resto. The old vintage trailer is not only ugly, but in rough shape, so it'll probably get something a little more modern, scratch built with kind of a vintage style.

Laker
04-15-2002, 10:44 PM
My gosh
Raceman, That is somthing that you could charge money for!! I would (As Im sure many here would) Pay to see it run!! To see it break 100 and listen to those BP Stackers Howl would be Priceless!! Im quite sure you will do it justice:) Cant wait for the Rebirth

crazy horse
04-16-2002, 02:35 PM
Laker,I have to agree with you.I would love to see and hear one of the old stackers run. LOTS of photos also!

hitherm1
10-03-2013, 01:18 PM
I heard enough of those BP's and Super BP's screaming and not going anywhere 42 years ago; damn Ham Cans couldn't get out of there on way.

doubleeagle
10-04-2013, 08:12 AM
You should do well here!!!!