PDA

View Full Version : Shooting fast moving objects

Backfire
10-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Question for Greg, Maureen, and anybody else. When using your Nikons are you using auto focus or manual focus? I have been using a Minolta 7000 Maxum for 20 years and the A/F is not quick enough to use it so I manually focus so there is no delay when I push the button. I'm talking 80-200 mph shots, not the usual snapshots. It would be handy to be able to have 3 fps with a different focus for each. Now that Sony has bought K/M and brought out a new A100 that takes Minolta A/F glass, I don't know if they changed the the speed capability of A/F. I would like to stay in the family, but would like the ability to compose with the 70-300 at the start line and 150-500'+ out and keep it crisp. Trouble never happens at a predetermined spot.
Backfire ;)

jphii
10-18-2006, 09:38 AM
I shot about 1000 pictures at Jasper, all in AF. Some came out pretty good. A couple are really good.

Scream And Fly
10-18-2006, 01:37 PM
Most pros use autofocus these days. AF systems have come a very long way since your Maxxum 7000. I remember my dad had one of those - but I never used it (was too young and he would never let me touch it :)). Anyway, I am not a fan of the Mintolta lens system and the Sony A100 is well, not a very good camera compared to similar Canon and Nikon models.

Anyway, autofocus is a tool, not the answer. It's like a dremel - if you know what you're doing with it, you'll achieve great results. Autofocus performance depends on many factors - lens, available light, AF system, and of course, the photographer. That's a very long discussion, but I'll answer any specific questions.

Sometimes I manually focus or I'll lock my focus, but it all depends on the situation.

Greg

specboatops
10-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Ops, Thought This Was About Gun Shooting, Was Gunna Talk About Lead Time, My Bad

pyro
10-18-2006, 03:53 PM
yeah, I thought this was going to be about jet-skis. "Hey, those objects aren't fast-moving!"

Backfire
10-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the replys. You are right Greg, results depends on all involved factors. I guess what I'm trying to get a handle on, how fast is fast, or what the meaning of "is" is. If AF is 1/10 of a second, that's fast, if AF is 1/3 a second, that is slow. I would guess Nikon/Cannon are in the 1/10 or better with their system. Motorsportspictures, Graybeard, Starcards, Smugmug,Top Speed Cards, MaumellSports and others were set on tripods on the pier, very close to the inside lane, taking set shots for sale of qualifing runs at Smoking In The Cove. I shouda asked what they were shooting instead of taking pictures.
Backfire ;)

hsbob
10-20-2006, 09:44 AM
if search in this web site you'll find the information your looking for. its basicly the shutter lag time between shots, which they list for most cameras.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/DIGCAM01.HTM

great adventure
11-09-2006, 04:54 AM
hi guys
may I join you... I think this question is cencerning me if i am not mistaken

I used to have a 35mm slr canon a1 with manual focusing & 80 to 200 tokina lens and motor drive, my friend is the one who take pictures for me while i am water skiing...30 pictures are out of focus and 6 is fine.

so i calculated the distance between the boat and the skier point and put a
masking tape on the lens (fixed focusing) to avoid any out of focus pictures
looooooooool

then I sold the canon and bought minolta dynas 7000i which called maxxim
at united states of america, this camera been recommended by a profissional
photographer at american water ski association at that time.
anyway the (i) means intelegent camera and
that is true... it has 8000 shutter speed, centre focusing and area focusing,
4 frames per secound, manual and a/focus, plus it has a sport card???
this card will choose for you the correct shutter speed according to the
subject movement, and also will give you a very fast focusing while you keep
your finger pressing half. you never miss any life time picture my zoom lens is
35 to 105 minolta a/focus lens and 100 to 300 3.5 to 4.5 a/focus lens
I still like my old minolta but what to do we must switch to the new
technology to avoid people saying that i am from stone age lol

now I've got nikon d70s with zoom lens 18 - to 70 and 70 to 200 2.8
which been recommended by our profissional photographer mr. greg
i use centre focusing, and some time i use hi shutter like 1000 or 2000 and leave
the camera choose the aperture and if the light is too low i choose small
aperture like 4 to 2.8 and the camera will give me the hi shutter speed
i always use autofocus mode to be ready to shoot like k. eastwood -
blondy @ (the good the bad and the ugly)

sorry for my bad english, sorry for miss spelling and wrong grammer

i pray evry day for gred dad..