PDA

View Full Version : First hyd jackplated boat in S. FL?

STV_Keith
10-17-2006, 09:55 PM
We think so. 1980. 17' Action, 87mph on the Keller. 28 small ear chopper, 2-thirsty-5 OMC.

http://www.speedcraving.com/keith/old-raceboats/My%2017%20Action-3.jpg

http://www.speedcraving.com/keith/old-raceboats/My%2017%20Action-1.jpg

http://www.speedcraving.com/keith/old-raceboats/My%2017%20Action-2.jpg

Mark75H
10-18-2006, 03:20 PM
In the early 1960's the Scott-Atwater/McCulloch Custom Hydro package was available in all 50 states ... one of the features was a hydraulic jackplate. I am certain there were dealers in Florida that sold them.

STV_Keith
10-18-2006, 03:48 PM
In the early 1960's the Scott-Atwater/McCulloch Custom Hydro package was available in all 50 states ... one of the features was a hydraulic jackplate. I am certain there were dealers in Florida that sold them.

Was that a pleasure boat or race boat? Maybe I should have said first non-raceboat. :)

T2x
10-18-2006, 04:15 PM
Was that a pleasure boat or race boat? Maybe I should have said first non-raceboat. :)

It was a pleasure boat........

T2x

STV_Keith
10-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Got any pics? That sounds cool. This was the first WE KNEW about. :)

Even racing FJ's, you were the sh*t if you had power trim in the 73-74 range.

T2x
10-18-2006, 04:37 PM
Here ya' go....

T2x
10-18-2006, 04:44 PM
There's NOTHING new under the sun...just old wine in new...better engineered...bottles.

T2x

Bruster
10-18-2006, 06:06 PM
OK- who knows who made that "first Hydraulic Jack Plate". ;)

The one on the Action.

CUSTOM PERFORMANCE 1
10-18-2006, 08:08 PM
T2X, the boat with the McCullouch may have been built and sold up north, But I was born and raised in south Florida. I have NEVER seen that boat, anywhere, or any pictures of it, up till now. Obviously the idea worked. However, it was not marketed in Florida that I ever heard about. I have spent countless years on the water in south Florida, with my dad, before I was old enough to do it on my own. The Action above, I built in 1980, including the jackplate and a few other neat features. I was around APBA racing since the early 70's and ran with the high performance crowd in south Florida, and I never had seen a hydraulic jackplate used in any application. So to MY knowledge, though maybe limited, mine was the first in the area. And it really does not matter. Just that it worked really well. On that boat, I ran a 28 small blade chopper, it would run 72 trimmed out, plate down, then push the up plate and the speed would climb to 87 with 2 aboard. Go to the dock and throw on the big blade 22 chopper, and pull your friggin arms water skiing!!!! It just did not get any better with an outboard. What was also really nice, while cruising with the 28, you could set the mota down and the torgue on the wheel went completely away, like power steering, and no tail, What a Sleeper!!!!!

STV_Keith
10-18-2006, 08:11 PM
Why whatever caused you to sell it? :)

CUSTOM PERFORMANCE 1
10-18-2006, 08:20 PM
We were at Woman Key, out of Key West and the, supposedly fasted guy in Key West challenged me to a run. So on the way back, 4 people on board and large cooler, he came along side, 2 up in his Checkmate with a 200 Merc, so I just could not resist. I hit the up plate button, the mota went up and a large rooster tail appeared, you should have seen his face, wholy chit!!!, and I stood on it. Left the guy so bad, so quick he turned around and went the other way. This guy showed up where I was staying, on Little Torch Key, and had to have the boat, so I put some STUPID number on it and he shows up the next day with cash!!! He wanted it so bad, I let him have it, turned around and bought a 32 Excalibur with the green!!!:D

drasticplastic
10-18-2006, 09:46 PM
The answer to Brusters question is "Marine Eng. Co.".

Bruster
10-19-2006, 05:28 PM
The answer to Brusters question is "Marine Eng. Co.".

Are ya Sure? I think I have an ad in an old boat magazine. :D But I gurss there could have been more than 1 company that made it. They were ultra simple.

Mark75H
11-01-2006, 06:19 PM
Very true ... the first "universal" motor lift aka jack plate vs the first motor lift device

Jeff_G
11-02-2006, 09:59 AM
In 1976 I had a manual jack plate on my 17 Action with the 135. Too much setback, didn't work well, boat did better with the motor on the transom. Boat wouldn't turn.

The guy buying your boat for the outrageous sum in the Keys reminded me of a story.

Back in the early 1980's the Keys were notorious for drug smuggling. Many times they used small fast boats to meet the trawlers and coastal Caribbean freighters and bring the goods to shore. Not like later with offshore type boats but using small 17 to 22 foot ski and fishing boats.

We had a race at the Elks Lodge in Tavenier, it was just one of those lucky weekends. On Saturday I won my class, a JP type, class, non-APBA though. On Sunday I decided to enter everything I could and won three races. One of the guys in the unlimited v-bottom class came up to me after the race and did all the usual congrats. With my wife standing by me he asked me if I would like to drive for him. I thought he meant in races. No, he was not talking about racing.

He pulled $5K out of his pocket in hundred dollar bills and said that was a down payment. I was dirt poor in those days and the thought of a hundred dollars at one time in my pocket was enticing never mind $5K! I turned him down.

Heard a couple months later he and another guy was busted by the Fla. Marine Patrol bringing in a load.

Wonder what happened to your boat?

T2x
11-03-2006, 09:15 AM
Do you believe the amount of time we have spent on this????

Truth be told having the first adjustable height prop shaft was an accomplishment. How you did it...is plainly irrelevant.

We had the first Allison on Long Island.......... so what?

Later we did a couple of other things of note........;)

T2x

STV_Keith
11-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Do you believe the amount of time we have spent on this????

Truth be told having the first adjustable height prop shaft was an accomplishment. How you did it...is plainly irrelevant.

We had the first Allison on Long Island.......... so what?

Later we did a couple of other things of note........;)

T2x

Sorry T2x, it was merely a way to introduce a set of pictures. They represented a rare item for the day.

You can put my username on ignore though, and that will keep you from having to see my posts.

BUIZILLA
11-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Jeff G, we must know some of the same Tavernier crowd....

Dicky L
Bob G
Harlon S
Jorge C and his brother

and about a dozen more...

JH :cool:

T2x
11-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Sorry T2x, it was merely a way to introduce a set of pictures. They represented a rare item for the day.

You can put my username on ignore though, and that will keep you from having to see my posts.

It sounds like your knickers are in an uproar..and I'll be damned if I can figure out why.....?

My point is simply that having the first jackplate in some part of the country is akin to having the first plaid braided rope......interesting but not worth a lengthy debate.......

And I have no idea what you're upset about...all you did was ask some questions.

T2x.....old enough to be baffled:D

Bruster
11-06-2006, 09:41 PM
Are ya Sure? I think I have an ad in an old boat magazine. :D But I gurss there could have been more than 1 company that made it. They were ultra simple.

Look at this: http://tinyurl.com/yjoe7f

Bruster
12-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Here's one I had back in the late '70's