PDA

View Full Version : 1974 McCall SJ

MagicFloat
10-17-2006, 03:02 PM
In 1974 John McCall built us a beautiful SJ boat that we raced in the the southeast for maybe a year . Loaned it to a good friend,Jim Bain,to race in St. Louis ,maybe 75-76? Hit an underwater crosstie or log,he wasn't injured,but the boat was destroyed and sank. Jim died many years ago of cancer. Got a call today from his son,he recovered what was left of the boat a week after the crash and stored it in a warehouse for 30 years. I had no idea the remains of the boat had been recovered. He says he is going to rebuild the boat(apparently one sponson is gone) but he is determined to put it back to original condition,think he still has the early 1975 Merc 150 that was on it. I have pics of the boat,but he needs more info. Doubt John saved any patterns or drawings. I suggested join here and ask for info,as this is the site for old McCall info. Would love to see a restoration even tho it's not my boat anymore(Jim paid me for it when he crashed it)If you see a newbie with questions,please help him out.

T2x
10-18-2006, 01:58 PM
That will be a great project....I always loved McCalls..even after Mike Peters "designed" them......;)

T2x

MagicFloat
10-18-2006, 03:00 PM
Spent a week with John when we got that boat. He wanted to custom fit the seat and make sure we could adapt to the changes in the handling of his boat versus the Kitsons we had been running. He was a neat guy,soft spoken and non assuming. RIP,John,you were an early visionary and a real craftsman.