PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Chip opinions wanted

Jeff_G
04-09-2002, 03:19 PM
I have a 94 Chevy with a 5.7. Has anyone used an aftermarket chip in one of these? Don't want to hurt gas mileage, currently 18 to 20 over the road pulling my boat. More less mileage? more power. drivability?

Flat Out
04-10-2002, 09:31 AM
Some computers have chips others need to be reprogrammed.
My 94 Formula needed a programmer where as the 93s you could change the chip. I'm not sure about the Pick-Ups, Subs etc.
On the Firebird it got rid of the speed and rev limiters and will allow me to change tire sizes and rear end gears. For auto equipped vehicles the shift points are raised. Also it turns on the elecrtic fans (if equipped) sooner to try and keep the engine running cooler.
Overall you may get a small increase in power, drivability should not be effected. As for mileage, if you want more power it takes more fuel. Mileage may drop slightly when you stomp on it, as for everyday driving I believe it shouldn't make a great deal of difference.
Try a K&N filter and possibly a good cat back system for more power.
Always start with the basics, good tune up. Plugs ,wires, cap and rotor.A fresh tune(if not done recently) will make the greatest difference over any chip or performance mod.
Hope this helps.

Rickracer
04-30-2002, 06:37 AM
I have actually seen slight mileage increases with aftermarket chips. A lot depends on the driving habits of the owner. :cool:

Flat Out
04-30-2002, 08:04 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head."driving habits of the owner".
It's the old nut behind the wheel thing.

WS6_Keith
04-30-2002, 02:35 PM
My dad had a '94 Suburban with the 454. Did TTS headers/exhaust and a chip and gained about 1.5mpg towing a 7k trailer. Sweet setup.

You can get TTS at 310-669-8101.

CDave
05-16-2002, 07:44 AM
I've got a 95 Z71 that I have added the following,
Jegs shorty headers, Flowmaster 50 series deltaflow muffler, MSD6; opened the gap up .012, Hypertech powercharger; I call it a salad bowl, Throttle body spacer and two eletric fans. I bought the ele. fans from Roush Racings used race car parts store. The fans came off of the Winston Cup cars but are really just Flex-a-Lite Black Majic fans. Got them for 75.00 a piece. It's amazing the stuff in that store they have for sale.
I also removed the air cleaner silencer and installed some aluminum ducting in it's place.
I run 33" all terrains and I get an honest 17MPG hwy. All the above stuff increased my mileage an honest 7MPG. Acually I was gettin 10mpg when I got the truck, used, but the mufflers internal baffeling had collasped, restricting exhaust flow. Just the new muffler gained me 2mpg over the 10mpg I was getting.

I know that is alot of stuff for the mileage return but I love seeing how much I can improve over the factory stuff.

Edit: Jeff I can say I have seen on other forums that the Jet 6Pack chip is a waist of money. Most seem to praise the HyperTech chips as the best.

I honestly had a zero gain experience with chips on my 5.0 so I go the more traditional route of bolt ons. Now if I had the Vortec 5.7 I'd give the HyperTech reprogramer a try.