PDA

View Full Version : Ok, Thinking of Change! APPLE or stay with Windows?

The Big Al
10-07-2006, 05:34 PM
I like video and pictures big time and the net almost 24/7

But I'm sick of the Microsoft bullsh*t updates and troubles.

Who has some solid advice about Apple?

I need a to change and I'm not going cheep! I want a bad ass setup!

Al

Stitch King
10-07-2006, 09:33 PM
Al,

I've been using a Mac for 6 years now.

3 months ago, after listening to my wife bitch about her 1 year old Gateway day in and day out, I took her to the Mac store. I convinced her that all of the problems would go away and we brought home a Mini Mac (get all the ram you can) and a 23" monitor.

She did not believe that the problem would be solved and kept the windows machine on the desk next to it just in case. Just for fun I linked the two together with a network cable so she could transfer her files easily.

The Mac is used on the internet daily by my wife to run her Ebay auctions. She also uses it for video and at last count had over 22,000 photos which she manages in Iphoto.

No more bitchin about failures. No lock ups. No restarts. No viruses. No BS.

Now the Gateway is basically an external harddrive. It has been replaced.

The Big Al
10-07-2006, 10:29 PM
I think thats the way I'm going!

Apple!

1BadAction
10-07-2006, 11:23 PM
apple = junk. its like a computer for the short bus people. Itunes blows camel dork, quicktime is downright garbage/spyware, and ipods break if you fart on them. their computers are a great combo of all of the above! bu bu but the guy on the commercial says apples are teh best and PCs cant do anything but spreadsheets :rolleyes:

comparing an apple to a gateway, quite possibly the biggest POS pc made... nice.

Fish
10-07-2006, 11:32 PM
apple = junk. its like a computer for the short bus people. Itunes blows camel dork, quicktime is downright garbage/spyware, and ipods break if you fart on them. their computers are a great combo of all of the above! bu bu but the guy on the commercial says apples are teh best and PCs cant do anything but spreadsheets :rolleyes:

comparing an apple to a gateway, quite possibly the biggest POS pc made... nice.

Sooooo, enough sitting on the fence, how do you really feel? :D:p

The Big Al
10-07-2006, 11:42 PM
Well, I don't care for a IPOD itunes children stuff.

But now I'm 50/50 I think!

1 for & 1 against?

So I guess i'm on the fence!

1BadAction
10-07-2006, 11:44 PM
Yea I dont like them, no secret. I had to use apples version of autocad (because autocad wouldnt work on an apple, big f'n surprise :rolleyes: ) for 2 weeks at a summer job when I was still in school. that thing crashed so much it was pathetic. NTM, apples interface made me feel like giving a blow job to a shotgun! all these "it doesnt crash as much as a windows machine" myths are BS.

IMAD!man
10-08-2006, 12:35 AM
I remember my mom bought the Apple lle when I was a kid. I love the looks of the Apple laptops. The problem with Apple is all about product availability and support. They definitely do some things better but over all they just don't compete with Windows. If you stop and consider the amount of applications that run on windows vs the mac it's no wonder there are more things that go wrong. I have 5 computers in my house that are always online. I remember back when they ran win 9x ... I was formatting one of them every week. My wifes computer is running the same XP install for over a year now. I also switched all the computers to firefox and that has made a huge difference in my maintenance.

www.bowkersfiberglass.com

Stitch King
10-08-2006, 05:30 AM
Yea I dont like them, no secret. I had to use apples version of autocad (because autocad wouldnt work on an apple, big f'n surprise :rolleyes: ) for 2 weeks at a summer job when I was still in school. that thing crashed so much it was pathetic. NTM, apples interface made me feel like giving a blow job to a shotgun! all these "it doesnt crash as much as a windows machine" myths are BS.

How long ago was that summer job? :confused: If you want to talk about current machines running OSX (6 years or newer) then you will be hard pressed to find the same issues. The software is based on the unix platform which is extremely stable and runs many of the major CAD systems today.

With regard to crashing, it is not a myth or BS. I use my Ibook every day for work. Never a problem.

Software can be an issue. Before you jump, make a list of the programs you need. If you run CAD programs or are a serious gamer, then you may be disappointed.

Now that we are talking about current events let's get back to the topic.

Al,

When you have heard enough opinions from a bunch of us "boat" guys do yourself a favor and get a hold of a local production company that does video/picture editing and graphic arts. These are the people down in the trenches every day. They can give you a real recommendation on a machine suitable for your needs.

FrenchPhil
10-08-2006, 05:59 AM
I own 2 laptops 1 mac & 1 pc. I'd sum it up by saying macs are too expensive for the hardware but OS X is very stable more so than XP. I play alot of games so no Mac there.
I agree it's more a software question than anything else. But for the web & basic software use the mac mini is a very good deal.

Hottrucks
10-08-2006, 06:33 AM
[quote=Stitch King]The software is based on the unix platform which is extremely stable and runs many of the major CAD systems today.
quote]

This kills me if your willing to learn a new operating system try a version on Lenix RED HAT ( Unix ) IT WONT CRASH!!!this is what makes the internet work....fast fast fast ...no issues looks alot like windowsso the convertion will be easy
All I can say is try it?? I think you can down load a copy off the net that will run over windows....Oh did I mention it was free????

IMAD!man
10-08-2006, 03:34 PM
It is doable but you better have a fair amount of free time. It isn't something you can just "decide" to use and be done with it. You're going to be learning a lot and sometimes it takes several days to get the right answers. I know it is coming though and when it does I am going to be the first person to switch. The whole microsoft thing is always 3 steps forwards and then a constant retreat. It also doesn't help that microsoft is so good at alienating large sectors of the community. And most of the time they do it deliberately.

Scream And Fly
10-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Al, what do you plan on doing with the computer?

The Big Al
10-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Al, what do you plan on doing with the computer?

I don't know yet.

Hate spending money on PC.

When I got this one 3 years ago it was top of the line!
Dell Dimension 8200 loaded! 3500.00 worth
Now it's like all PC's become! Target practice!

Just need some good direction! Things are not a simple as was in the in the beging of home PC's.
Hell ram, hard drive space and a 486 and you were done.
Too much stuff to figure out today.

Al

Scream And Fly
10-09-2006, 10:51 PM
A loaded Dimension 8200 should handle most of today's tasks very easily - unless you're into heavy video/photo editing or gaming. In that case, then you should upgrade.

I don't use Apple machines because I like options with my computers - and Apple locks you into a system with very few relative options.

Greg

The Big Al
10-09-2006, 10:54 PM
A loaded Dimension 8200 should handle most of today's tasks very easily - unless you're into heavy video/photo editing or gaming. In that case, then you should upgrade.

I don't use Apple machines because I like options with my computers - and Apple locks you into a system with very few relative options.

Greg

That has become my Killie's heel! Video/photo

And downloads!

Al

this is what I would like to do to it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ5sDLnheEk

IMAD!man
10-10-2006, 06:57 AM
Motherboard cpu and memory. I usually upgrade twice a year. I take my stuff out and it goes in my oldest boys and his goes to his brother .. and his goes to his mother... I'ts not that difficult and a whole lot cheaper. A dual core processor is going to make video a LOT faster too :) Did you check to see what you can do on the motherboard that you have now? You might be able to upgrade your cpu ...

The Big Al
10-10-2006, 07:15 AM
Dell builds thier unit's for Dell.
No plug and play upgrades with out major money.

That is thier plan.

Hell I have Pentium (R) 4 2.0 G Prosessor with 1 GB ram
high speed hard drive now. I don't see much more out thier.

The problem I'm having is the computer will not update to SP2
Microsoft says its hardware, Dell says it software.

And must admit, Microsoft has been good at trying to get this done.

But the pc crashes are killing me! BOOM! restart! All buy itself!
Lockups!

IMAD!man
10-10-2006, 07:26 AM
I would format first off and then install the newest version of Win XP that comes with SP2 already installed. My brothers computer was restarting by itself, and he told me that when he upgraded to a new HD and formatted that it stopped doing it. I remember we never did really find the exact cause. I've built maybe 30 pcs in the last 7 years and I usually solve problems like you are having with an fdisk and fresh install.

1BadAction
10-10-2006, 07:30 AM
that sounds like virus type activity to me. I would dig deep into it and see WTF the problem is. you are bound to have tons of malware on that thing with all the sites you "visit". LOL. the easiest way is to format and start fresh.

Scream And Fly
10-10-2006, 12:28 PM
It's a software issue for sure.

The Big Al
10-10-2006, 03:12 PM
Is thier some kind a program I can use to copy all my files?

Without looking for all of them?

AL

IMAD!man
10-11-2006, 06:35 PM
Ouch, when people ask that I know they are in store for some fun. Always partition your hd and put on windows in the C drive. Directly after a fresh install of windows drag your My documents folder to the D drive. Also make a not to only save to D drive. It's not as important with XP but I learned with Win9x to always put only the OS on the C drive. You spend more time figuring out what needs backed up than you do reinstalling the OS otherwise.