PDA

View Full Version : How do you restore shine to UV faded cowling top

waterdad
09-29-2006, 02:06 PM
The top (very top) of my '94 Merc cowling is faded (almost white/gray) until some water is on it then it looks okay, is there a way to get some of the shine back. I tried a little compound and elbow grease, that didn't make a dent

As always, thanks ahead of time for those in the know

thx

Juggernaut
09-29-2006, 02:14 PM
wetsand and buff, or send it out for paint, and clear coat it this time:)

waterdad
09-29-2006, 02:42 PM
Give me the wetsanding 101, what paper, sequence, circular motion? back and forth? lightly?firm? do I need an actual buffer for the buffing? etc......

thx ahead and here's a beer:cool: (imagine this is a beer icon)

Juggernaut
09-29-2006, 03:25 PM
what wetsanding actually does is it removes the original clear coat. if i was you, i'd use 2000 grit paper, and you want to sand it in a back and forth motion. NO circles. light or firm. a little bit of both. you want to sand it all down equally, yet some areas may need it more than others. go with your gut instinct. ive never tried buffing without a buffer, so i dont know how it will come out. but if you dont have one, make a new friend who does, cuz its soo much easier. oh, btw, thanx for the beer!

supergenius74
03-27-2007, 09:24 AM
I tried mothers aluminum polish on mine and it works pretty good, it requires some work but I don't think it any more work than wet sanding.

bigbore
03-27-2007, 09:30 AM
It's got baked-on paint from the factory,sand it 1000 paint it n re-paint n clearcoat it:cool:

CoatingDr
12-25-2007, 08:26 PM
Restoring oxidized, faded or sun weathered surfaces to like new color, luster and shine is as easy as washing and then spraying with clear coat rejuvenator from Vivilon http://vivilon.com/recrepics.html

Paint restoration and fiberglass gelcoat rejuvenation is easy with this product. Check it out!

Team Stream
12-25-2007, 09:13 PM
Don't even waste your time trying to buff it back. Repaint with a base clear and live happy with no worrys.

CoatingDr
12-25-2007, 09:26 PM
I thought that was clear from saying "spraying" but, oh well...