PDA

View Full Version : Teak care/maintanence

ROLF
09-29-2006, 06:04 AM
Teak swim steps/bow strips and side steps on my Sanger need to be redone,wire brush,power wash,sanding?? Varnish,poly,Teak oil???

Hottrucks
09-29-2006, 06:45 AM
what was it before????

I have just scrubbed it with a strong detergent and a soft brush to wash out all the old dirty oil and mold then reapplied a couple of light coats of teak oil....it looks great and if you give it a quick light coat in the spring it will stay looking great.....

ROLF
09-29-2006, 07:03 AM
Just had boat delivered from Washinton State yesterday,sight unseen/internet, got lucky,one owner beauty but teak looks a little dirty/faded and I have never had Teak before so I figured to ask before
I ruin it.
Thanks Rolf

Fish
09-29-2006, 07:10 AM
Sanding gives the smoothest surface but it takes layers off the surface. I sand when I am going to do a real good job and plan on maintaining it, or planning on selling the boat.

For regular maintenance, I use the two part chemical cleaners, but make sure you quickly rinse anything else it gets on as it will dull painted or gelled surfaces.

As for oil, there are a lot of opinions, but I personally do not like the dark thick teak oils. I find they seem to stay tacky and attract every spec if dirt. If you can find tip top teak oil, it leaves a clean oil on the boat.

There is a product that was a little dye in it that also looks nice if done right. use it with sanding for a long term solution. I will see if I can find out the name, I cant remember right now.

Here are some pics of the teak wonder two part solution. I did this one application with a medium coarseness scrubbrush. Note the slight white spots in the clean side. They will show up black or darker and look dirty when oiled with regular oil so make sure you get them all.

Hottrucks
09-29-2006, 07:18 AM
Good one Jodie and I agree..One hint is if it's been oiled before wash it well before sanding or the old oilraises heck with the sand paper....