PDA

View Full Version : What Polisher?

Hydrasports205
09-21-2006, 10:43 AM
Need to pick up a new polisher to do my boat - what's ya'lls preference?

Fast Fig
09-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Need to pick up a new polisher to do my boat - what's ya'lls preference?
The makita is a great machine with variable speeds, has lasted me longer than other brands, and priced very fairly. I you do not intend to use on a frequent basis I have seen some off brand machines(inexpensive) on ebay that would do the job. Buy yourself aquabuff 2000 its white in color, leaves little residue/stains has plenty of bite and is very fine grade. get an adapter for your buffer and double sided pads, wool preferably then apply finessit , and finessit II burnish this on with a foam pad, then for the final step I like to use teflon by starbrite, you wipe it on with a nice pad in an even circular manner leave it on thick/film let flash dry machine off with a new foam pad. sounds like a long process but you will see an incredible end result. That is my opinion and my preferance of products based on my years in the field. Good Luck Hydra..................Peace! FIG

pyro
09-21-2006, 12:05 PM
Makita is good, I have a similar Hitachi rotary that cose me $130 brand new.

I prefer a soft foam pad for polishing (more consistent, less swirl), and a terry cloth bonnet on a orbital buffer for taking off wax.

Scream And Fly
09-21-2006, 04:05 PM
The professional detailer's choice: http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2805

The famous PC 7424 :) The one and only polisher I would use.

I might actually do a feature on detailing.

Greg

Bruster
09-21-2006, 04:36 PM
The professional detailer's choice: http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2805

The famous PC 7424 :) The one and only polisher I would use.

Greg

That's some good stuff. But you need to understand it's a finishing polisher not a rotary buffer, 2 different tools for 2 different tasks. It will produce a swirl free finish that is second to none and a finish that's not attainable with a rotary buffer no matter how good you are. Take the polishing pad off and spin on a 6" sanding disk backing plate and you have a great orbital sander.:D
Look at this link from Meguiar's Online... Same tool
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/

Hottrucks
09-21-2006, 05:19 PM

Greg

I volunteer my boat for the feature where do I bring it ???

Thanx
Jeff

tripledude2
09-21-2006, 07:09 PM
Does anybody use the old tried and true Milwaukee anymore?? How do the newer ones compare???

Scream And Fly
09-21-2006, 07:12 PM
The newer machines are generally lighter and are variable speed - unlike the older units that had fixed speeds. Years ago many people were actually using sanders with buffing/polishing pads on them. Those are brutal.

Jeff, a 24 Skater? If the finish needs to be turned around a little, that thing could take two days. :)

Greg

Hottrucks
09-22-2006, 06:15 AM
I didn't say I was going to do it just bring it!!! LOL Somethings should be left to the pros

Truth is it isn't that bad but does have some spots where leaves or a pine needles have landed on it and the dew or rain gets them wet..
Finding the correct cleaner for the inside would be nice.... If I could fine something to clean pine pitch that would be great, Best thing I have found is Castrol super clean but it's pretty harsh stuff.............

Jeff

oh don't forget it's on an Aluminum trailer and having it polished is really going to bring on the bling!!!

Hydrasports205
09-22-2006, 06:52 PM
thanks for the help guys....:D

Scream And Fly
09-22-2006, 09:22 PM
On carpets, use Woolite and varying mix ratios with water (depending on the degree of staining). It works great, and will not damage the carpet like some harsh cleaners would. Always use a Shop Vac to extract the dirty water from the carpet.

Once in a while, place a dehumidifier in the boat and cover the cockpit tightly. Run the dehumidifier for 12-24 hours and watch how many gallons of water it will pull from your interior.

Greg

whipper
09-27-2006, 03:09 AM
Hottrucks Fantastic spray works awsome on interiours and wont kill the mildew and uv inhibitors on marine vinyls. For tough stuff 3m citrus rinse with soap and water.Ivory. James