PDA

View Full Version : Some one connected to the late/great Bill Tenney was planning a Merc 8 cylinder Alky?

J Taylor
09-17-2006, 11:21 PM
One of the most ionteresting tidbits of aluminum obtained from the late Bill Tenney, Crystal Bay, Minn (Minneapolis) of British Anzani fame was a rather dusty and marked up 1/2 inch aluminum plate with dimples on it that didn't mean anything to me when I first looked at it and brought it back here. I never paid any attention to it, albiet I would maybe take some chunks out of it to make some adaptation part for some reason but since 1996 it just sat there in the metal bin. It was only when I started to pay attention to the tranmission/engine couplers for the fabled British Anzani twin blocked Alky class C that the plate was being looked at for use to section off into making more Anzani tower collar spacers that each engine required to couple it properly to the aluminum raing towers. The dimples looked something Mercury in block base gasket formation and a Mercury 55H engine block base gasket verified that there were 2 engine adapter plates on the single aluminum piece completely center punched for the engine transmission adapter couplers same 4 bolt pattern on the inside that were used on the British Anzani twin block C!

Now the adapter plates are cleaned up, cut out, drilled too but what Merc 4 cylinder was someone back then in the 1960s contemplating??? A Merc 30H? Merc 55H?? Mercury 44 cube Mark 58 type??? That would be a twin engined 8 cylinders available coupled togther even like? Merc 4s from 30, 40 and 44 inches fire every 90 degrees of crank rotation? Firing one cylinder by setting up the engine couplers gears could be 2 cylinders off different blocks happening at once or one cylinder off either block firing every 45 degrees??? Did they think of putting on 8 single Quincy pipe megaphone system or the newer coupled twin Quincy deflector exhausts on these coupled twin Mercs. On Alky or on gasoline?? No matter what that meant, there would be 24 exhaust ports going off in 1 complete rotation of the crankshafts of both couple twin engines together in total. I have many times heard/seen Quincy Flathead 6 cylinders running, same with Mark 75H Merc Alky and gasoline racing engines and these fired a cylinder every 60 degrees. They were facinating and to some even frightening! What would firing every 45 degrees sound like? The mystery to this one grundgy 1/2 inch thick aluminum plate, now separated and finish drilled into 2 adaptor plates for these twin engine couplers?? deepens! What were people thinking in racing back in the 1960s was apparently on some one's mind(s) on that plate of 1/2 inch thick aluminum? I am going to take it further though time tells me its gonna be a couple years of spare time, decades after some one there?? who?? initiated some idea of an 8 operating cylinders racing twin engined on one tower Mercury.

Dave S
09-18-2006, 07:33 PM
I saw in a old power boat mag that someone put 2 V4 with one on top of the other...... it was raced but I think the lower unit tore up. Done about 1969 I think.:)

Mark75H
09-18-2006, 07:35 PM
Merc did an 8 prototype (2 side by side 4's) over a D Quickie back in the 1950's.

Dave S
09-19-2006, 04:48 PM
Sam Kiekhaefire could have made a cool motor had he used the V4 drone motor..... It had the same bore as a 2.5 :eek: It was a looper:) It had offset crank pins. So it coulda been. But he was happy selling DR dockbusters.:rolleyes: He saved $$money using the same pistons in 2-4-6 clys.:p

J Taylor
09-21-2006, 09:46 PM
There was a bunch of ideas out there put into breathing race engines from the 1960s onwards. Some were successful and some not but being practical??? I suppose only if they won their race with others like them? Some efforts did it and some never got that far. All were extremely interesting though.

AirRide
09-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Sam Kiekhaefire could have made a cool motor had he used the V4 drone motor..... It had the same bore as a 2.5 :eek: It was a looper:) It had offset crank pins. So it coulda been. But he was happy selling DR dockbusters.:rolleyes: He saved $$money using the same pistons in 2-4-6 clys.:pWhat is this V-4 Mercury Drone Motor, that you mentioned? Does anyone know anything about it? AirRide

Mark75H
09-24-2006, 07:07 PM
Back around 1945 - 1950 Kiekhaefer won the 10% seconday contract to supply the military with target drone motors (McCulloch had the main contract).

The motors Mercury made were inverted V-2 and V-4 loop charged 2 strokes with fuel injection. This project is what taught Kiekhaefer about high friction fasteners and lock nuts ... the prototypes could not even get in the air, the shook themselves apart before take off.

They may have bid on some during the Korean War aluminum restrictions as well. For the most part if you did not have a defense contract you could not buy bulk aluminum to manufacture anything during those times. During WWII Kiekhaefer stayed in business by producing Diston brand chainsaws and gasoline powered chain sharpeners to be used in remote logging camps. The motors were actually very highly advanced compared to outboards of that time.