PDA

View Full Version : Sony or Canon

JJB
09-12-2006, 09:56 AM
Here's a question for you digital gurus........I looking at buying a digital camera (Not SLR) that has zoom capabilities and have narrowed it down to two manufactors, Sony or Canon. I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck so here's the list....
Canon S21S 5 megapixel 12X optical zoom (Stabilized)......$280.00 base
Canon S31S 6 megapixel 12X optical zoom (Stabilized)......$340.00 base
Sony DSCH1 5 megapixel 12X optical zoom (Stabilized).......$325.00 base
Sony DSCH2 6 megapixel 12X optical zoom (Stabilized).......$327.00 base
Sony DSCH5 7 megapixel 12X optical zoom (Stabilized).......$410.00 base

I realize that there is memory and extra batteries to buy but the cost should be about the same for all the cameras. Is anyone familar withany of these cameras and how do image quality compare between the two companies.
All of the cameras have video capabilites that are rated fairly good especially the Canon. From reviews all of these cameras are rated very high but I was wondering if any of the people on here have any first hand experience with any of these cameras. Also do you guys have any other recomendations? Greg I know you take thousands of pictures what do you think? Most of the photos I would be taking would be still/non-moving pictures but I would like the ability to take some moving photos as well.

JJB

hsbob
09-12-2006, 10:22 AM
the best way is to go to http://www.imaging-resource.com/DIGCAM01.HTM they have a comparator system that compare side by side pictures of different cameras.

you need to check the shutter lag of each camera and see what you can live with. that the time it takes to actually take the oicture after you press the button.

also look at the the jpg file size. a 6meg camera the yeilds a 1.5 meg file verses a 6 meg that has a .8; the 1.5 will give better color defnation. jpg compression reduces the color content, sony was noted years ago to over compress.

also look at the pansonic cameras. what i've seen, their very good, but maybe too hi of a price.

Scream And Fly
09-12-2006, 10:30 AM
JJB, I haven't used any of those models, but my first hunch would be to go with Canon over Sony. That's not to say Sony is not good - they make great point-and-shoot cameras - but Canon has a history of better image quality.

Also take note: Higher megapixels does not generally mean better image quality. Further, higher megapixel cameras generally do not perform as well in low light situations. Concentrate on the camera's overall image quality and features and focus less on the megapixel number.

I'll see if I can have a look at some of those today.

Greg

JJB
09-12-2006, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the info Bob I'll look at the comparisions...........
Greg that will be great, as many photos you take I value your opinion.

James

transomstand
09-12-2006, 08:33 PM
I just bought a Canon S2 IS, problem is, I'm a camera idiot, and I'm still learning how to use it. It does have the capability to take amazingly good pictures.
If your willing to invest the time to learn how to use it, you can really get some good results, but to use only as a point and shoot camera, I think it leaves something to be desired.
I'd strongly recommend you spend some time on the forums at dpreview. The people who review cameras are experts, and things that are no big deal to them can prove to be a real problem to a dope like me. Reading the forums gives you a better idea of how the camera acts in the real world.
A lot depends on how you plan to use the camera.

Pete

Scream And Fly
09-12-2006, 10:02 PM
I agree with Pete - a camera is as good as the photographer. It's a tool - master it, and it will show in your photographs. :)

Of your listed choices, I would choose the Canon S31S.

Greg

johnt
09-13-2006, 11:27 AM
I looked at the top three 12X extended zoom models, Sony H2-H3, Canon S2-S3, and Panasonic FZ7. I went with the Panasonic FZ7..very pleased so far..

JJB
09-13-2006, 06:31 PM
John I looked at the FZ7 but decided against it only because that while recording in the video mode you can't use the optical zoom like the Canon and Sony cameras can. According to the reviews you needed to preset the optical zoom....however that being said it rated as one of the "best" as far as picture quality goes....and again that’s just what I read in the reviews, hope I didn't misinterpret what they said.

James

transomstand
09-13-2006, 06:39 PM
If you'll be taking video, the S2 is amazing. Better quality than my video camera, and you can still snap a picture while your recording. The downside is, it eats memory real fast. On the highest quality setting, you only can record about 8 minutes with a 1GB high speed card.

Pete