PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Mercury V6....Red Mercury Decals...what is it???

motoxconnection
09-06-2006, 08:18 PM
Hey guys, was walking through the back lot of a small town marina this afternoon and I was WAY in back where he had a bunch of junk trailers and other stuff. Sitting on the ground was a Mercury that I wasn't sure what it was. It was surely a V6 engine but it had red Mercury decals on it. It was 80's era from what I could tell. It didn't have the lower end on it but the rest was there. What is this engine??

Also, he had a 115 Merc on an old piece of junk, the cowl wrap was red stripes and white Mercury on it, late 60's correct?? The engine turns freely and is all intact, has power trim on it also. He said $600 for everything including controls. If anyone is looking for one, let me know, I will get some digital pics for you. Let me know.

Rich

transomstand
09-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Early V-6 performance motors had red decals. Maybe a T-3 or 2.4 Formula. It should have been a drop on one piece cowl.

Pete

motoxconnection
09-06-2006, 08:48 PM
It looked like it was a one piece cowl. Is it worth seeing if I could get it for cheap even though it doesn't have the lower end?? Please get back to me Pete.

Rich

motoxconnection
09-06-2006, 08:49 PM
Does anyone have any pics of what these engines looked like?? May help me identify it. Please post,....thanks.

Rich

Mark75H
09-06-2006, 09:03 PM
some thing like this

motoxconnection
09-06-2006, 09:16 PM
shape looks right but it didn't have the cowl hold downs like that. It also said Mercury on the decal, not just Merc. I really should have gone to my truck and taken some pics. I will try to do that tomorrow.

Rich

Raceman
09-06-2006, 09:26 PM
The picture that Sam posted above has a 4" extension kit added to it right above the gearcase for use on THAT boat, that is basically a one off as far as V6 race engines go. Don't let it confuse you when trying to identify the engine.

99fxst99
09-07-2006, 04:18 AM
In the late 70s Mercury had decals available in red, yellow, and green for the production V6 and inline. A friend had a set of green on a Baja. So it may be something special, may not. Worth a look, though. You know the old Corvette in a shed deal, never know what you may find......

AirRide
09-11-2006, 06:27 AM
The only other V-6 that came with a red stripe was a Mercury "Classic" 200 carbureted, produced in the 90's, of which only 8 were made. This promo motor did'nt sell, due to their premium list price, over a standard 200 at that time. The motor was'nt any different than a regular motor, other than the cowlings & badging. Mercury also produced the same "Classic" red-striped engines in a couple lower horsepower models as well. AirRide:)

motoxconnection
09-11-2006, 07:14 AM
thanks for the reply, I have to go take some pics of this thing, I will post them.

prince
04-23-2008, 05:28 PM
In the late 70s Mercury had decals available in red, yellow, and green for the production V6 and inline. A friend had a set of green on a Baja. So it may be something special, may not. Worth a look, though. You know the old Corvette in a shed deal, never know what you may find......
tha:rolleyes: :rolleyes: nks

PARKER RABE
04-23-2008, 05:47 PM
get the pics yet ?