PDA

View Full Version : Restoring Marine Stainless????

nyseguy
08-31-2006, 10:41 PM
I am looking to bring back a finish to a stainless hard-top skeleton. I tried Flitz today but was not impressed with the outcome. I used it with a high speed drill and polishing disk.

Anyone have any luck with anything else?

Fast Fig
09-19-2006, 07:10 PM
I am looking to bring back a finish to a stainless hard-top skeleton. I tried Flitz today but was not impressed with the outcome. I used it with a high speed drill and polishing disk.

Anyone have any luck with anything else?
Unfortunately stainless is not what it used to be .......the quality has deminished dramaticaly. How old is your frame? If you notice these days, you mount a piece hardware and in a short period of time the piece looks oxidated or full of surface stains coming through the material. I don't know if they're using an inferrior grade material, nowadays, perhaps to cut costs. good luck, FIG

nyseguy
09-19-2006, 08:15 PM
The stainless is from 1983. Is there a way to use emery paper and then a polish, or will that destroy it?

Ronnie C.
09-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Anytime I want to clean or polish anything i go to 3m.com. Its a BIG site with plenty of info you can down load.

Fast Fig
09-20-2006, 12:14 AM
The stainless is from 1983. Is there a way to use emery paper and then a polish, or will that destroy it?
You can. Just dont go with anything with very much grit . Do you feel that a coarse scotchbrite and flintz or other compound wont do the job? Cause scotchbrite has bite yet will not leave gouges etc. Try that first before getting too aggressive with abrasives. FIG

voo-doo_child
09-20-2006, 12:51 AM
Try S.O.S pads, worked on my 3 spoke steering wheel.