PDA

View Full Version : 2 engines one battery ???

Hottrucks
08-25-2006, 02:24 PM
can I run both my batteries in paralle and just hook both motors to them or wiill it goof with the charging system........?????

thanx
Jeff

Riverman
08-25-2006, 03:43 PM
Problem with that is if one battery goes south, say a cell shorts out, it will pull the other one down with it.

Trikki1010
08-25-2006, 03:48 PM
Buy an A-B switch ya cheap bastard:eek: ;) :D

riverrunner114
08-25-2006, 04:15 PM
I have never seen anyone do that...I would lean towards not hooking two charging systems to one battery... batteries are cheap...

just my thoughts..john

Hottrucks
08-25-2006, 07:57 PM
ok problem is that sometimes one motor is a bitchh to start ( lets say it's flooded) cranked down the battery.....If the other one is running it will keep batery charged so I can crank the other piece of crap some more......and ya I had to switch the terminals over to get it to start nce it was running it was fine........the cold start valve was junk...new one on its way

But you bring up good points. but the cranking amps would be ungodly....

SportJ-US-1
08-25-2006, 08:12 PM
The two charging systems will fool each other into thinking the battery is charged when it isn't or overcharge the battery. Always, 2 batteries with 2 engines and if you want a battery switch so you can switch the batteries together, fine for starting. But don't run the 2 engine for any length of time on one battery without a Battery Isolator or you will also screw at least one if not both charging systems. FYI, you ever tried to hand start an engine in the middle of a big lake or a chuck of ocean because your one battery is dead? I don't recommend it.

Hottrucks
08-25-2006, 08:19 PM
I think I'll just put a seliniod between the batteries ( the ford kind ) each battery has an on / off switch but I would like to tie them together if one gets weak when starting then unhook them when it fires......... with a seliniod I can control it from the front of the boat ....... Hope thast explains the issues and my idea to fix it

riverrunner114
08-25-2006, 09:02 PM
ok problem is that sometimes one motor is a bitchh to start...

are these motors evinrudes...:) If a mercury takes longer than about 2/3rd's of a second to start, its broke.

sosmerc
08-25-2006, 09:14 PM
Hey Fred......ya think "riverrunner" has ever run a "stack-six"??!:)

riverrunner114
08-25-2006, 09:19 PM
Hey Fred......ya think "riverrunner" has ever run a "stack-six"??!:)

my bad... forgot about those...he he he:)