PDA

View Full Version : Mod VP Strap in or no?

y2kstang
08-23-2006, 07:44 PM
New to the drag racing scene but had a question about safety. Would it be best to use a race harness and strap into my STV Mod VP and use a capsule suit or use a race vest and go unstrapped?

I would think that strapped in would result in less chance for injury since at least you have some protection around you. It would appear that since the opening where you climb in is still relatively small and so low inside the boat there is an awful lot to hit on your way out.

Bruce Washburn
08-24-2006, 06:16 AM
Capsule boats are safer. The big question is: Was the boat built as a capsule boat? If it was not, You need to be real carefull about what you attach the harness to and what potection you really have around you. If the boat was not set up as a capsule boat or one to be strapped into you may be better off not being strapped in. If your STV was one of the true Mod VP race boats of the last design with the canopy it is set up to be strapped in. Runnning it with out a harness would be dangerous IMO.

y2kstang
08-24-2006, 11:32 PM
All I can tell you is that it is a 1996 Mod VP that is not a completely enclosed capsule like some of them were but from what I can tell the only difference is that the top half of what would have been the enclosed area has been cut off. I could tell if they were built identical if I had both available side by side for comparison but I know the fiberglass seat section is about 1/4" or better and it has factory original holes and bars there to use a 5 point harness and at the top there is a metal support bar that appears to be a place for a rescue boat to hook a wench to if needed. The driver containment area is built much much more durable looking than the rest of the hull yet as with most capsule boats the capsule is not a seperate section. Look at STV's website at the STV mod VP hulls and this boat looks exactly like that.