PDA

View Full Version : 300HP GT Johnson Outboard

928man
08-22-2006, 07:12 PM
I'm new to the cat boats, how do the Talon's with the 300HP GT Johnson engines rate? I see all mercury engines on most boats. Is the Talon a good hull, and what sizes were made? Looking to buy a 21 to 24 ft boat.Any help appreciated. 928man current ordinary cuddy running slow.

150aintenuff
08-23-2006, 08:43 PM
talons are good boats, fast and very capible... the 300 johny is a respectible powerhead, BUT its heavy, and the gearcases are an extreemly weak link and most of their parts are rare or NLA at best.... if you were to get the hull get it cheap with power and look to repower with a 300 merc. the weight savings and the added power will gain you about 10 -15 MPH.... a 300 johnny is only about 275hp on its best day in stock form.. but they can be built up to 400+ fairly easioly if you want to spend the dough..

928man
08-24-2006, 01:01 AM
When you say the gearcases are weak, you mean the gears in motor? I thought parts were available for Johnson? I noticed 24ft hulls are much larger than 21-22ft size, a better buy for larger hull even if motor is bad verses smaller hull with decent motor? I see names like skater,sanger,talon,eliminator, any advice? Advice which better to buy? I want large enough boat for fast cruising & a few speed runs.

FJ COSTA
09-12-2006, 07:05 PM
I had a talon 21 I try every motor on the market the v8 johnson are too heavy the only way to go is black Merc,TALON :cool: boats are not the fastes but they ride good, the best.FJ.

Fish
09-12-2006, 07:31 PM
Around the size range they made a 18, 21, 22. All are different. Skip ran his 18 with a mildly built up 200 up to about 92 mph, but put the boat on a serious diet. I believe the next owner, WOT racing did even better after some engine mods but I do not know exactly how much.

The talon 21 is an extremely stable boat but it is a little bow heavy. I loved mine, but if I got another one I would definitely use a lot more setback (had a 4"setback I think, definitely not enough given the bow heavy nature). I saw one on the Suwanee that had a 300 with about 10-12 inches of setback and it seemed to run pretty good. I never got near the 100 mph mark with mine, and I don't know whether anyone else has or not. It definitely would be a good first tunnel due to its stability.

The talon 22 is the only one still being produced (although the 21 molds went to texas to a company called titan I think). The 22 is being made in Canada and from what I understand they are doing everything right in terms of quality in the build. Halffast has one with twins on it that I heard was somewhere in the 120's with speedmaster lower units and it is definitely one of the best looking boat on this site. There are a few others on here with a 22 and twins and there are a few with a single engine- all are awesome boats. IMHO, one day I hope to own a 22, just not in the budget right now.

Good luck in your search. If you are not set on a talon, there are some other tunnels like stv, mirage and quartershot that will treat you right too. If I were buying a new boat right now, I would have to seriously spend a little time with jack barsh at Full Throttle Powerboats checking out his Quartershots. Having spent a little time recently there myself, I personally cannot say enough good about their quality or his customer service.

fish

LIQUID NIRVANA
09-13-2006, 07:26 AM
A quote from another S&F Forum for you to consider. Difference in in WEIGHT between Merc 250HP & OMC V8. ***** 11 pounds ******
When will you "experts" stop bending the truth. I guess a MERCURY is to heavy too.

Outboard Motors
2006 MERCURY
Gasoline
RACING SERIES
250XS XXL FM RH OPTI

Model: 250XS XXL FM RH OPTI
Motor Type: Gasoline
Volts (Electric Motors):
Thrust (Electric Motors):
Horsepower: 250
Cylinders: 6
Start Type: Electric
Dry Weight: 534
Power Tilt and Trim: Yes

Outboard Motors
1985 JOHNSON V8
Gasoline
300TLCO

Model: 300TLCO
Motor Type: Gasoline
Volts (Electric Motors):
Thrust (Electric Motors):
Horsepower: 300
Cylinders: 8
Start Type: Electric
Dry Weight: 545
Power Tilt and Trim: Yes

HMMMM looks like 11 lb difference between a 250 XS and a 300 GT V8 Johnson/Evinrude. I have had right good luck out of the ones I have. I bought a bunch of spare motors and have still yet to need them. Not even needed one of those real weak lower units. Rig em' right when you install them any you won't have many problems (well no more than any other hi-po motor)

928man
09-13-2006, 10:08 AM
Hi Everyone: Well I was talking about Talon 21's and Johnson 300's because I was going to buy one but the guy was uncooperative so I walked away from the deal $10K. So I bought a 1990 Eliminator with a 1997 Mariner 2.5 260HP with homemade trailer for $12,400 with 24pitch prop Masco, and spare 26 pitch prop, this is my first performance boat, cost a little more than the other deal but maybe better for this lake as the topside is higher to handle the higher waves on the sides of the boat, than on the Talon which was lower. The hull weighs 1350 lb plus motor 375lb, total weight 1725lb. I wonder what weight was with the Talon 21 and Johnson 300 engine, anyone know? I looked and looked, this was the best deal I could find around this price, all the other eliminators were in the $18,000 range and I couldn't afford those, the interior is nice but not perfect, needs some better carpeting but otherwise very nice. What's a fair price for new carpeting with installation? Anyone's comments appreciated. 928man