PDA

View Full Version : Torsion axles on boat trailers???

RedAllison
08-18-2006, 09:58 PM
After Sturgis lastweek (insert trailer joke here) I must admit that I am REALLY impressed with the ride and stability of torsion axles. They "float" and the stability is unmatched (90+ with 2 800+# Harleys aboard).

Why are they not offered on boat trailers? :confused:
RA

beer30
08-18-2006, 11:01 PM
My new Quartershot's trailer is torsion, and you are right, the ride is unbelieveable. ;) Chuck

150aintenuff
08-18-2006, 11:25 PM
probably 85% of new trailers that are custom built are using torflex axles.. it is easier to mount and hang than springs due to being able to bolt directly to frame rrails without major bracketry... or weld inplace...

The Big Al
08-19-2006, 12:46 AM
Very simple! Price!

Torshion axles are for more superior than springed axles.
They are mostly used when ground clearance is a problem.

Boat trailers naturally don't need the ground clearance, the trailer dipps in the center. This calls for a very special axle at 3 times the price as spring axles.

COST!!!!

link to axle company, one of the best! http://www.dexteraxle.com/

Hot Shot Merc
08-19-2006, 05:52 AM
Where have you been?I have had the last three trailers were torsion axle.:D

Ted Stryker
08-19-2006, 08:45 AM
My Bullet will have them in the hopfefully near future... Every transom should ask for torsions for Christmas...

150aintenuff
08-20-2006, 10:37 PM
Very simple! Price!

Torshion axles are for more superior than springed axles.
They are mostly used when ground clearance is a problem.

Boat trailers naturally don't need the ground clearance, the trailer dipps in the center. This calls for a very special axle at 3 times the price as spring axles.

COST!!!!

link to axle company, one of the best! http://www.dexteraxle.com/

actually the torflex is cheaper from dexter than the spring counterpart.... les moving parts and easier to build and hang..

The Big Al
08-20-2006, 11:18 PM
actually the torflex is cheaper from dexter than the spring counterpart.... les moving parts and easier to build and hang..

I sold Dexter for 3 years, it's not cheaper.

And yes, it's very easy to install.

Price of spring axle with springs and hanger kit is cheaper than a torsion axle.

150aintenuff
08-20-2006, 11:35 PM
humm... will revarify from the dexter rep tomarrow but i coulda swore he said their torsion axles were actually cheaper than their spring axles now....

The Big Al
08-21-2006, 12:25 AM
Humm, see what you can get a 3500lbs torsion axle with eazylube hubs, 5 lug on 4x4 3/4, frame mount at 60in outside with hub center in the 72-76 range at 30 degree down.

Just one, I'm not joking I need one. See what you can do.

I have a connection for Dexter at Carolina Rim & Wheel. but don't work there anymore been years!

AL

Hottrucks
08-21-2006, 04:24 AM
After Sturgis lastweek (Silly boy trailers are for boats) I must admit that I am REALLY impressed with the ride and stability of torsion axles. They "float" and the stability is unmatched (90+ with 2 800+# Harleys aboard).

Why are they not offered on boat trailers? :confused:
RA

my 2 axle Skater trailer is , and you are correct on handling also if you burn a bearing on one you can remove the hub and wheel and get to someplace to get it fixed..try that with a 2 axle springer

Jeff

cutwater
08-21-2006, 07:13 AM
I have a 1993 FloatOn bunk style trailer with dual torsion axles. I two the 1929 Chris Craft 24' from upstate NY to FL every year. The boat rides great and has never been damaged from trailering.

Two years ago, about 40 miles north of Baltimore, the left rear axle pulled out of the tube and got caught in the fender. I was able to take that wheel off and ride on one on that side for a while. The interstate help truck told me about a marina about 8 miles away, so I headed there.

Making the turn into the marina, I spotted a welding shop. Pulled in there at 4:55PM on a Friday. We called the 800 number on the trailer, got the production manager on the phone as he was walking out the door. He talked to the welding guy for three minutes, told him how to fix it.

45 minutes later, and a mere $75, we were back on our way to FL.

Trailer has been 6K miles since, and runs fine.

Torsion axles - the manufacturer told me they rarely break, or lose their retaining plate like mine did - but that turned out easily fixable and the ride can't be beat.

JWTjr.
08-21-2006, 09:23 AM
The only way I will accept a spring axle trailer is if it's used. Even then I will probably change to torsion if the trailer doesn't need to be period correct.

When I was racing SST-45 I first had the boat on a lightweight spring axle trailer. We discovered when we got to a race that the engine would not turn RPM; it would turn 7500+ during testing, then 6500 at the race site. Pulled hair out trying to find out why. Finally out of sheer desperation we rebuilt the carbs with new components, problem gone. We were able to see a very light ring around the needle and also in the seat. Tried it again, same result. Ended up taking the carbs off before each race and transporting them in the truck. Then put a torsion trailer under the boat; problem solved.

Plus leaf springs are noisy.

JT

SportJ-US-1
08-21-2006, 09:59 AM
The only way I will accept a spring axle trailer is if it's used. Even then I will probably change to torsion if the trailer doesn't need to be period correct.

When I was racing SST-45 I first had the boat on a lightweight spring axle trailer. We discovered when we got to a race that the engine would not turn RPM; it would turn 7500+ during testing, then 6500 at the race site. Pulled hair out trying to find out why. Finally out of sheer desperation we rebuilt the carbs with new components, problem gone. We were able to see a very light ring around the needle and also in the seat. Tried it again, same result. Ended up taking the carbs off before each race and transporting them in the truck. Then put a torsion trailer under the boat; problem solved.

Plus leaf springs are noisy.

JT

Would have been easier and cheaper to just prime the carbs everytime before you towed the boat. Float bowls need to have a lot of fuel in them or the float gets bounced around and beat up the needles and can lower the float setting.

JWTjr.
08-21-2006, 01:14 PM
and it still beat them up. Believe me we tried everything.

JT

150aintenuff
08-21-2006, 10:03 PM
al i will ask... i should see him in the next few days, if not ill give him a call on wednesday

The Other Scott
12-02-2006, 05:13 AM
I wont use anything but torsions anymore. As noted, stability, ease of maintenance and reliability are the main factors. You can get them with a "v" center to lower the trailer also.. Tie down torsions have replaceable axle stubs. Your spare tire bracket has a stub in it complete with hub and bearings.. IF you have an issue, you can knock out the old stub, replace it and head down the road.

New trailer for my 16 Donzi OB...

sho305
01-11-2007, 06:38 PM
I might not be 100% right on price, but about 5yr ago I went to Elkhart IN and we got a 3500lb torsion pretty cheap. I want to say $85? It had brakes on it too. They have tons of that trailer stuff there cheap. I welded up a trailer about '10 long or so. Put sides and floor out of decking on it, the thing rides smooth empty or the other day I had 2200lb of scrap in it. I am sure if I took the sides off it I could put a small car on it no problem. I made the floor sit real low and raised the hitch up. It hast to be around 70" minimum inside. Also has steel fenders welded on it that take up a little room. It runs silent and pulls great.