PDA

View Full Version : 250Xs problems?????

Bullet Basser
08-14-2006, 09:08 PM
I have a 2000 20XD Bullet with a 05 250xs with about a hundred hours on it. About a month ago I started getting a siren when running full throttle trimed out. I dont have smart craft gauges but is a solid beep and it will stay on until I bump the trim down a little. I have atleast 15lbs of water pressure at all times. Can anyone tell me what this could be? I also would like to know if I installed the smartcraft system if it would tell me what the warning is for? When I first hung the motor back in March it would run 89gps with two people and a fishing load turning a 27 trophy. Now im lucky to run 80.Also is it time to change the plugs????? Thanks in advance, Shayne

Rothwell Marine
08-14-2006, 09:50 PM
Shayne,

Does your engine reduce speed when the alarm sounds? If so, the Guardian system is activating. This happens when a situation that could damage the engine occurs.

You can take the engine to a quilified dealer and they will be able to diag. and tell you what is going on when the alarm has been sounding. You could also get a smartcraft gauge and it will tell you through a sequence of icons as to what is going on. Here is a link to the owners manual of the smartcraft gauges. This will give you an idea of what they are capable of. http://www.mercurymarine.com/uploads/images/914/10229023.pdf

I would guess that the engine is in an overtemp or overrev situation.

Have you used any Quickleen or similar additive? If not then you should change plugs and also start using one of the above.

Hope this helps.

Bullet Basser
08-14-2006, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the input! No the engine doesnt slow when the alarm sounds unless I stay in it hard. It seems to be a Fine Line between the alarm and no alarm (trim). Will this engine sound an alarm in a over rev situation? If so I think that could be the problem. When i ordered this motor I ordered a 1:62 gear case and just now found out it has a 1:75 sportmaster. I may need to prop up. The motor has just gradually slowed down over the period of time I have owned it. I would like to know more about the product Quikclean. What is it and why should I be using it ? Thank you very much Shayne

Rothwell Marine
08-15-2006, 06:02 AM
Quickleen is an additive that removes carbon from the combustion chamber. Keeps pistons, rings, and spark plugs cleaned. Will reduce carbon fouling on spark plugs.

"No the engine doesnt slow when the alarm sounds unless I stay in it hard."
So if you stay in it hard then the engine RPM's will drop and the engine will slow? If so then that is the Guardian engauging and more then likely overrev or overtemp.

jimmyb
08-15-2006, 07:08 AM
sounds like overrev to me...

get yourself a smartcraft system monitor and it will tell you the reason for the alarm... plus you will be able to scroll thru a bunch of engine data (including REAL RPMS, fuel flow, temps, water pressure, etc)

Bullet Basser
08-15-2006, 04:13 PM
Where is the cheapest place to buy this system and can you buy the gauges in black? I would love to replace the existing speedometer with one of these gauges. I have a gps unit and dont even use the speedometer. Thanks for the info guys.

Rothwell Marine
08-15-2006, 04:45 PM
Shayne,

Give me a call and we can talk about which set will work as a replacement. Several options and colors, including black.

Gregg

Largemouthlou
08-15-2006, 07:09 PM
Here is the only pic I have of my dash for now, let me know if ya need a better one, Look to the left of the dash, I removed my speedo and put th monitor in like you want to do.. This will give ya a better idea untill ya talk to Gregg..

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6db37b3127cce89658257ee7500000016108AbOWbVu0bN3

Louis

Rothwell Marine
08-15-2006, 08:11 PM
Lou,

Haven't seen one mounted like that in a 3 3-8 hole. That looks good! Almost as good as those floor plates. :cool: :cool:

They make a large round one now that will fit in the speedo or tach hole. ;)

Largemouthlou
08-16-2006, 04:21 AM
Guess Mercury liked my Idea as well!!:D :D :D Louis

Bullet Basser
08-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Hey lou hows it hangin? Thanks for the pics!!!! That is what I want to do. That is exactly where I want my gauge to be. Gregg I will definately give you a call when I get a chance. I will be really busy the next two weeks and will be out of town. I have to drive to Chicago for business. I live in Fort Worth maybe I can drive through your neck of the woods and shake your hand on the way home. I also need to order a trim cylinder for a buddys boat so I can fix it maybe we can make a deal. Thanks for all the info guys!!!! Shayne

Rothwell Marine
08-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Shayne,

Would love for you to stop by! We are on Hwy 67 on the west side of town. Hwy 67 runs parallel to I30. Give me a call or stop by!

Thx