PDA

View Full Version : Hot Trailer Tires

oldsmobile83
08-06-2006, 07:56 PM
I have an 18' Tri-Hull on a single axle trailer. After hauling it today for about 30 miles, I noticed that both tires were quite hot. The hubs and rims were cool. Tires are at proper inflation, and bearings were recently packed with high-temp grease. Am I missing something, or is this normal?

Ted Stryker
08-06-2006, 09:24 PM
In the height of Summer it doesn't seem abnormal, just how hot are your talking about... Even the tires on My Chevy get pretty warm just driving home from work, not too hot to touch but but maybe uncomfortable for the back of My hand... Have you notice if your tire/axles are aligned correctly..?

oldsmobile83
08-06-2006, 09:45 PM
In the height of Summer it doesn't seem abnormal, just how hot are your talking about... Even the tires on My Chevy get pretty warm just driving home from work, not too hot to touch but but maybe uncomfortable for the back of My hand... Have you notice if your tire/axles are aligned correctly..?

It may well be normal -- I'm pretty new to boating. I can only keep my hand on it for about three seconds. They are bias-ply Carlisles. The axle doesn't seem to be obviously out-of-whack, and the trailer tows nicely.

Ted Stryker
08-07-2006, 06:02 PM
If you can only touch it for a few seconds, that seems a little excessive... You know that the air pressure is correct, is it possible that the tires are overloaded... I'm sure that you taken that into consideration, but I don't know where else to look... Have the tires been on long enough to notice any kind of wear pattern..?

captcarb
09-05-2006, 07:30 AM
The correct pressure is 50 psi. Is that what you are running?

jim

y2kstang
09-08-2006, 02:26 AM
Usually the only things that would cause a tire to overheat like that (and yes can't touch them for more than 3 seconds is way too hot) would be under-inflated, overloaded, or axle problems. Check tire pressure, load rates, and axle alignment, if all of these things are right I would start looking for new tires cause it sounds like a serious defect in the belts causing excess friction. They aren't Firestone Wilderness A/T i hope :p

Glassman01
06-01-2007, 07:05 PM
i would say under inflated and over loaded

Rob'Z
09-16-2007, 01:09 PM
What is the approximate weight of the boat and tralier? Like the others said, it may be overloaded. Make sure the tires are inflated to the max pressure indicated on the sidewalls. If you have the correct tires (trailer tires) it should be at least 44 PSI, probably 50 PSI.

Rob

Rob

chuckybaby
12-17-2007, 03:51 PM
Check the load range on the tires. It's hard to believe but some people put the cheapest s*** they can find on their rigs.

benski
07-28-2008, 12:36 AM
Typically, the maximum that most people can hold their hand in constant contact to is 140F. If you tires are above that, see if you've got too many coolers left in the boat or some other source of extra weight.

jacklake2003
05-09-2009, 07:19 AM
What size are they? If they are too small, they may be spinning too fast for that load. What I mean is, if the circumference of the trailer tire is half of your car tire...... If you are driving 70 mph, your trailer tire thinks you're driving 140!
Good luck

shelbydriver1
06-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Make sure there not 13 inch tires. you need at least 14 to 15.

BUSHWACKER
06-18-2009, 11:20 PM
Good for you Jackofthelake at last someone asked what size tires? :thumbsup:
I towed my 18' DUO, a big 18, w/ 150 Merc inline6 from Phila, PA to Newfound Lake NH and back twice behind a 340 Duster long before the 55mph speed limit and may have gone slightly faster than what was posted :D also from Phila to Ocean City MD :rolleyes: also from Philly to Bricktown, NJ many times :rolleyes: all during the summer months :p 4.80 X 8" :eek:

Riverratt
06-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Since the original poster has not been on here in almost 3 years I don't think the problem bothers him anymore or he went up in flames from the hot tires.

BUSHWACKER
06-20-2009, 02:57 AM
Way to go Ralph, ya sure know how to flock up our fun, yeah, ya herd me right! :reddevil:
On the bright side he may check in tommorrow, for lots of expert advice, ya never know. :D