PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning mildew smell from carpet?

imq707s
07-15-2006, 09:56 PM
I've noticed lately that as soon as my carpet gets a little water on it, it starts to smell a little like mildew. The floor is dry and solid, and the carpet looks brand new. I always cover the floor with towels to soak up any lake water that people might drip on the floor.......but every once in a while the towels are just not enough.

When the carpet is dry....there is no smell....but as soon as you get it wet, it smells kind of funky if you stink your nose down to the floor.

Is there any kind of product that I can use to get rid of that smell??

Ronny Jetmore
07-31-2006, 09:30 AM
i have had tremendous luck with simple green, household, noncommercial cleaner. it cleans everything very well and leaves a very fresh smell. i would use a warm solution mixed per the instructions on the bottle. i would lightly scrub the carpet with it and let it soak for 20-30 minutes, then rinse well and dryvac. i bet it will smell fine then.
my 2 cents

Stitch King
07-31-2006, 08:47 PM
Febreeze seems to work miracles. Not sure if it will work but it gets out fish smell from carpet. If it will eliminate that it can get rid of anything.

jonnyspeed
02-02-2007, 10:19 AM
ZORBX

www.zorbx.com (http://www.zorbx.com)

Removes any order and leaves no scent. Awesome stuff. Nothing better IMHO.

Maureen M
02-10-2007, 05:58 PM
ZORBX

www.zorbx.com (http://www.zorbx.com)

Removes any order and leaves no scent. Awesome stuff. Nothing better IMHO.

I'm going to check that one out for my car (damn door leak!) - thanks for the link! :D

transomstand
02-10-2007, 07:40 PM
I'm going to check that one out for my car (damn door leak!) - thanks for the link! :D

Get that fixed asap, you can't get rid of that smell. The jute under the carpet is growing mold, treating the carpet won't help.:(

Pete

Maureen M
02-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Get that fixed asap, you can't get rid of that smell. The jute under the carpet is growing mold, treating the carpet won't help.:(

Pete

is the jute the padded lining under the carpet? I cleaned the carpet and dried the lining. Most of the smell is gone, but I can't locate exactly where the water is coming in. :rolleyes:
For now I have a piece of chamois under door - it absorbs the water before it makes it to the interior. :o

Maureen

Boz
02-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Good point about the underpad in Maureens car.

transomstand
02-11-2007, 01:37 PM
For now I have a piece of chamois under door - it absorbs the water before it makes it to the interior. :o

Maureen

That's the problem with you girls, you just don't understand auto repair, if you were a man, you would have done a high quality, permanent repair with duct tape.:D

Pete

BUSHWACKER
02-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Check to see if the drain holes in the bottom of your door are not clogged. Also good idea to spray silicone on the seals, gives them some new life and can help the door from freezing shut, being you live up there.

Cobra1racer
02-12-2007, 03:52 PM
Found two dead cats in my boat last year. I tell you what, that will mask any oder you may have. Grab by the tail and toss away when the mildew oder is gone.

Maureen M
02-15-2007, 06:15 AM
Check to see if the drain holes in the bottom of your door are not clogged. Also good idea to spray silicone on the seals, gives them some new life and can help the door from freezing shut, being you live up there.

I'll check out the drain holes...right now the water pools on the frame below the door and eventually spills into the car. I pulled off the little rubber grip a while ago and everything looked fine, but maybe I missed a hole. :confused:
I'll pick up some silica too - last night my friend's door froze shut after work.:eek:

P.S. - I am not trying the dead cat idea, no matter how well it covers mildew smell :p

Cobra1racer
02-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Worth a shot Maureen. LOL

ankitadas
07-20-2010, 05:08 AM
You can use chemicals to clean the carpet and to scape from the smell. You can take help of a professional.

Carpet Cleaning Preston (http://www.allkarecarpetcleaning.co.uk/preston.html)

Welfare Racing
07-29-2010, 09:25 AM
i had that problem in my boat, I used(Grandmas trick) Vinagerand water and sparyed it liberaly let it sit for about 20 min then shop vac'd it out, all smells are gone now...

my 2 cents here

WATERWINGS
07-29-2010, 11:56 AM

My X had a Jeep with a sunroof....(no the sunroof didn't leak).....but the sunroof had two drains that were supposed to drain out where the door hinges were......

One of the drain tubes had gotten pushed into the door frame, and instead of draining down the door frame......it drained inside of the Jeep, and soaked the carpet......

It took me for ever to figure that one out.....

WATERWINGS
08-14-2012, 02:02 PM
.............and welcome to Scream and Fly......

captadhos
08-19-2013, 03:38 PM
Never underestimate bleach, dilute it with water and a drop of Dawn and spray away! I use it on canvas, carpet, etc. Test a small spot first and always rinse well.