PDA

View Full Version : Mercury Optimax 200 vs Yamaha HPDI 200

Blunck
07-13-2006, 05:12 PM
Fellow Outboarding freinds, Which of these 2006 engines offer best reliability and overall best package??? Im a long lasting MERC fan, but these Yamahas have been selling quiet well overall in my county. There must be a reason.

Lockjaw
07-13-2006, 09:12 PM
I can say my bud's 225 opti is a sweet heart of an engine. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

sosmerc
07-13-2006, 09:15 PM
The late model Optimax engines have been very solid. And with SmartCraft capability, awesome fuel economy, excellent running quality....Merc is the way to go. Long live the Optimax 2 stroke.

David
07-14-2006, 07:51 PM
If you want to go fast you want the 200XS as it comes with solid mounts and the sportmaster lower unit.

Otherwise people can debate all day about Yamaha vs Merc. Only a dealer who sells/services large numbers of both might have the truth.

I bet both are pretty good engines.

Makowish
02-25-2010, 07:53 AM
I have an 87 Grady 204 Fisherman I am considering repowering with a 1999 225 OptiMax. I found the Same boat in S.C. with a 2000 200HP Yamaha HPDI. The Merc has 245 hours 7 comes with a 3 year warranty. The 88 Grady with the 200 Yamaha cost the same no.. warranty. Tough decision, one year newer boat & motor for the same price as repowering my boat..Does anyone out there have any input????

It would be most appreciated..

bworner
02-25-2010, 08:26 AM
Good Question, If your keeping it stock then I would buy which ever motor is nicer,has less hours and really it depends on what You like. If you want all out power, then go the Yamaha route, the Opti can be modded a Hair, but you can turn the Yamaha into a 370+hp MONSTER by calling Hydrotec, Wayne Worthy and the boys would love to help with this question also.....reliability wise if both are fully updated and maintained, id still take the Yamaha, yes more fuel filters, but they dont break and are Torque monsters, in the 200 category the Yamaha,Mercury and Evinrude are all 220hp motors, Have fun.....Brannon

VectorPat
02-25-2010, 08:41 AM
The 200hpdi he is talking about is the smaller 2.6 ltr 25" engine, this is the saltwater motor. The 370hp MONSTER was built off of the 3.3ltr Vmax style engine. The 2.6 ltr is a very reliable engine. Either way mke sure you get someone to check out the engines before you buy.

Makowish
02-25-2010, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the quick replies. I would be purchasing the Optimax from the local Mercury dealer…. 100% 18 month & 50/50 18 month warranty, which is the biggest reason I would go this route. However, in surfing the web I am finding indications that there are many problems with the early 225 Optimax motors. The one I am looking at is the counter rotating motor form a matched pair. The dealer tells me there is no difference in wear and performance since the gears in lower unit is the only difference…It makes sense but I suspect that he is going to tell me what I want to hear. The power head was replaced at about 250 hours on this motor, which gives me additional concerns. The matching motor has about 500 hours with the original power head… I have a 130 HP Honda I would love to put on theboat but not enough power there

mcyama
02-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Did you think about asking him why the previous owner replaced the units? I would also buy a Mercury if a sales person told me I had a 100% warranty for 18 months and had in a contract. Hmmmm!! I wonder what the warranty dept think's about that? I think you should have it in writing, and determine if it is a manufactures warranty or a dealer warranty. Also I am fairly certain that the words before the word "Warranty" or something like this." Limited Manufactures warranty". Of course I have too differ with which motor has more reliability. Certainly set up correctly the Merc would be faster. However when it comes to reliability Yamaha is second to none. Thanks Martin