PDA

View Full Version : Deck Paint vs New Gelcoat?

Dregsz
07-01-2006, 11:08 AM
Hi All,
Beside my Superboat I'm also restoring a sailboat.
I' m looking to freshen up the top sides and the original gelcoat finish is cracking in places.
Should I sand and paint over the deck with sailboat topside paint or redo the gelcoat?
And how does one redo the gelcoat?
Thanks
Evan

toybox
07-05-2006, 09:34 PM
I would leave the bottom gel and paint the top with base coat then clear coat it...

150aintenuff
07-05-2006, 11:25 PM
dude its a blow boat.. give it a good top side paint coat Ill loan you a sprey gun and call it good.. Gel is complicated, a PITA and more $$$ than your willing to spend to do correctly.. AWLGRIP, IMRON, PETTIT, INTERLUX are all fine for the little blow boat.. and it is what any sail boat repair yard would do anyhow... just dont go cheap with the primer and the prep.. and dont trust that all painters tape is actually painters tape... i still havent found any more matching candy apple that is close enough to fix m chips and areas that pealed under masking tape that wasnt actually painters tape even though it came in the same log of rolls.. they changed to metallic at my dealer.. also do a speed coat of antifowling paint for the botom.. unless you plan to trailer store it over the time when you aret using it.