PDA

View Full Version : did you divorced your slr 35mm camera??

great adventure
06-28-2006, 05:20 AM
dear all members

I would like to know what did you do with your old 35mm slr camera

1. did you kept it as rememberence?
2. are you planning to sell it?
3. are you going to keep it as replacement/ or as spare
4. did you get rid of it
5. do you think its old fation camera
6. what is the difference between slr 35mm and your new digital
7. why you switched to digital?
8. are you still using it

hope to know your comments about the above mentioned subject

thank you

Casey
06-28-2006, 06:48 AM
I would like to know what did you do with your old 35mm slr camera

there on the shelf collecting dust ;)

PaulR
06-28-2006, 08:22 AM
I have an old Canon AE-1 that I feel takes great pics! If your someone that likes to have prints a good 35mm is the way to go. You can order prints and a disc and load the pics in your PC and post them just like a digital. The only drawback is the wait. I only use my Digital for posting pics on the Internet. I have no experience with $900+ dollar digitalis but I bet those dusty old Nikon's and Canon's take comparable action shots.

hsbob
06-28-2006, 09:27 AM
1. did you kept it as rememberence? have my 4004 nikon cant get enough out of it t bother selling.
2. are you planning to sell it? no
3. are you going to keep it as replacement/ or as spare paper weight
4. did you get rid of it no
5. do you think its old fation camera yes
6. what is the difference between slr 35mm and your new digital nite and day the 35mm is a consumer type camera my nikon d1x is a pro camera
7. why you switched to digital? took both types to alaska in 1991 and the hassel with developing and storage of print make me go totally digital.
8. are you still using it not in 7 years. i have 5 digitals frmo the wifes pentex 4si to nikon d1x and d100. im totally digital and staying that way. photos are my second hobby[boating as well] since the early 1960s. went thru the chemical developing and printing [b&w] and dont want to do that again.

great adventure
06-29-2006, 12:55 AM
waw thanks for the great reply you made me so glad to keep my old
minolta 7000i intelegent 35mm slr 8000 shutter speed with 4 frame's per
plus 35 to 105 zoom and 100 to 300 zoom lens plus centre and area focus
and you must know that the camera has a memory card.. called sport
and once you insert this card inside the camera will follow the subject
and give the correct shutter speed and fast focusing according to the
subject movement it has a date and time... it can read the iso asa auto

i desided to sell it to buy sb800 nikon flash.. but the man gave me just
usd 200.-.. no way i sell my lovely camera..i still like it.. and will keep it
the camera still work perfect...

yes i remembered the canon ae1 manual focus.. so great camera
but i used to have the cannon a1 multiple exposure..i still like
because it made me a good photgrapher..

Scream And Fly
06-29-2006, 01:59 AM
Yousif,

I have a number of film bodies, but they have not been used in years. I never plan on using them in a professional environment again. I'll probably keep them anyway, since they are not worth much and I may get a kick out of using film again one day. I do have an old Speedgraphic from my grandfather though - that would be fun to use.

My work is all digital now - photos and video. Up next is two D2x bodies, another 70-200 F2.8 Nikkor, and a 200-400 F4 Nikkor as well :)

My D200 is no longer with me (stolen), but I may get another at some point. Great body with fantastic performance.

Maureen is a Canon person - maybe she'll reply here too. :)

Greg

Fish
06-29-2006, 06:14 AM
mine got wet during a hurricane. No workie any more.:(

hsbob
06-29-2006, 04:14 PM
greg you should try the sigma 70-200 2.8 its a good match with the nikon and several $$$ cheaper.

Casey
06-30-2006, 07:56 AM
the Nikon 70-200 is out of my $$$ range but what are ya'lls thoughts between these two?

Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 and Nikon 80-200mm 2.8D ED

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3306&navigator=3

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&productNr=1986

hsbob
06-30-2006, 09:24 AM
did a lot of research before buying the sigma. the distortation thru the
f -stop range was a close match to the nikon, so i save the $600.

great adventure
07-01-2006, 01:02 AM
dear greg

i tried the 70 - 200 sigma 2.8 but i faced one problem
if you set the camera on shutter mode.. and sellect the 2000 or 1000 shutter
speed then the camera will shoos the apertur automaticly.. up to her is fine

the camera were set at area focusing??
if you focus on the boat coming to you or facing you the focus is fast
but it is not continu focusing... do you know what i mean??
i mean while you are pressing the shutter release halp press when you
focusing the focusing should always move accourding to the boat movement
but the focus just move one time and then stop and once you click the
pic will not come so sharp..

on the other hand shall i use the sport mode and is the camera going
to choose for me the correct shutter speed??? i did not try that
i were in a hurry yesterday becuase i want to watch the football match
between germany and argentina...

so i am familiear with my minolta only.. so gret can you tell me
how you set your d70... on manual shutter or on sport mode mark
which is on the left top side of the d70s (this mark looks like one
man is running) in white color..??

the zoom is really perfect but will wait till i hear from you

yousif

Scream And Fly
07-01-2006, 01:21 AM
Casey,

The Nikkor will have an advantage in image quality, but the 80-200 you're looking at is not an AF-S (internal focus motor) model, so focus speed will not be extremely fast.

The Nikkor 70-200 2.8 is a dream to use - I have a few of them and would never give them up. It's fast, fast, fast and produces an image that only a prime lens could match (and many can't). It's the lens I use most at events.

The Sigma is also a great lens, and will produce near-Nikkor quality. Remember that the Nikkor 70-200 2.8 also has an image stabilizer - although I really only use it in low-light situations.

Yousif,

When I used my D70, I never used the 'Sports' mode or any other preset mode. The D200 and D2x do not have those modes (a good thing), but it doesn't matter - here's why:

It all depends on your available light. For the most part, I stay away from automatic modes, but sometimes for fast action shots, I set the camera to aperture priority mode and shoot at F4. In this mode, the camera will select the best shutter speed based on ISO, aperture, and its own light meter. You can check the shutter speed as you adjust your settings to be sure it's where you need it.

Lock the center focus point on your D70, since it uses a cross-type sensor there. Switch to continuous auto focus mode (AF-C), and track your target carefully and smoothly. Remember that the autofocus system uses contrasting lines for acquisition, so never focus on solid colors. Try to lock focus on rubrails, helmets, etc.

I tell people that shooting photos of fast moving object is like shooting a gun - you must track your target precisely, monitor your own movements, and press the shutter release carefully. Never 'stab' the shutter release, but rather, roll your finger over it. This will help minimize camera shake - especially for telephoto shots.

great adventure
07-01-2006, 02:00 AM
greg............. waw you are amazing.. thank you for your advise
and will show you the result soon, dont worry greg i am agreat shooter

but in the future when i got money will buy the nikor lens 2.8

you know greg i am spending allot of money on my boating workshop
i bough new big air compressor, welding machine, tourch, cylenders
sata digital spry guns, touch up guns, air brush, new roof, new exhaust fan
new toilet, new store for tools, new office with air condition and tv,setlite
new 2 chain blocks with 2 chain troly to be adjusted at any boat size
and can lift any boat from the trailer in 5 minits only

thank you

Scream And Fly
07-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Yousif, your new shop sounds great. Are you biulding any new boats?

great adventure
07-01-2006, 05:18 PM
greg,

thank you again for your advise
i have found the autofocus-c for continuous focusing.. and i can see
the focusing moving when i ever press half-way at any direction of my room
that is what i been looking for...

i have posted wom of pic of sigma lens 2.8 at scream fly gellry
but some them are out of focus. i will shoot again this friday

the new boat is coming greg in the way but let me finish the
customers boat first

thans and best regards
yousif

America187
07-03-2006, 07:19 AM
Digital is the way to go for ease & simplicity. 35mm for best quality. I have a Nikon F, 2-Nikon F2's, Nikon FE, Nikon FE2, all are older, metal body, manual focus, with a good assortment of interchangeable lenses; not worth much money now, but the results they produce are amazing. The F is 1971, and it will outlast me and any digital camera made within the last and next ten years. If there are any pictures taken after "The Apocalypse" you can bet your ass they'll be taken with a Nikon, & probably an F or F2 ! ;)
S

great adventure
07-04-2006, 11:53 PM
dear greg,

I forgot to ask you about the setting of asa iso?? what asa you use
for top speed 400 or more?? this firday will be ready to talke water sport
pictures

thank you
yousif

Aggressor Tom
08-03-2006, 07:12 PM
the Nikon 70-200 is out of my $$$ range but what are ya'lls thoughts between these two?

Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 and Nikon 80-200mm 2.8D ED

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3306&navigator=3

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&productNr=1986

I had the Sigma lenses and put it on Ebay quicker than I bought it, replaced it with Canon 2.8, no comparison and worth every extra dime. I would guess the Nikon the same way.

Scream And Fly
08-03-2006, 07:18 PM
I had the Sigma lenses and put it on Ebay quicker than I bought it, replaced it with Canon 2.8, no comparison and worth every extra dime. I would guess the Nikon the same way.
I am not a fan of Sigma lenses, but the truth is the Sigma 70-200 2.8 has very similar optical qualities compared to the Canon and Nikon part. Not quite as good, but close enough.

I also used both the Nikkor (Nikon) and Canon 70-200 2.8 lenses (we own both) and I much prefer the Nikon version :)

Greg

hsbob
08-04-2006, 09:31 AM
not being able to write off the cost of lens, i have a different view. what geg says is correct. Ona 1 to 100, the good sigmas are 97 to canon and nikon 100. note the key work good. the value priced sigma lens are exactly average. where the good lens are much higher priced, but not as high as the name branded lens.

Aggressor Tom
08-04-2006, 09:52 AM
I am not a fan of Sigma lenses, but the truth is the Sigma 70-200 2.8 has very similar optical qualities compared to the Canon and Nikon part. Not quite as good, but close enough.

I also used both the Nikkor (Nikon) and Canon 70-200 2.8 lenses (we own both) and I much prefer the Nikon version :)

Greg

Maybe it was the lens I had, but the photos were really soft, I liked the photos from my canon IS 4-5.6 70-300 better. I do have 2 smaller 2.8 Sigma wide angle zoom lens and I like those

great adventure
08-04-2006, 04:13 PM
aggressor tom

the cannon lens 70 to 300 has slow focusing and its not for sport action
but 70 - to 200 2.8 is much faster in focusing and more sharper than
the above 70 to 300?? plus it has 2.8 aperture...

ga

Scream And Fly
08-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Yousif is correct - generally the 70-300 and 75-300 lenses are consumer-grade and do not have constant aperture designs. I believe the Canon 75-300 is a pretty good lens, using Canon's mini-USM and IS. Nikon is going to release a 70-300 AF-S, but these are still not constant aperture lenses.

All three 70-200 2.8 lenses (Canon, Nikon, Sigma) are pro-level lenses and produce professional results and performance.

Greg

Aggressor Tom
08-05-2006, 11:24 AM
aggressor tom

the cannon lens 70 to 300 has slow focusing and its not for sport action
but 70 - to 200 2.8 is much faster in focusing and more sharper than
the above 70 to 300?? plus it has 2.8 aperture...

ga

Agreed, but depending on the angles you are shooting at sometimes manual focus is the best even for the pro lenses. I was talking about the Sigma lens, not the Nikon lenses just to clarify.

great adventure
08-05-2006, 03:58 PM
tom

yes, thank you for your great reply.. infact I've got sigma 70 to 200

hsbob
08-07-2006, 09:37 AM
got the same 70-200 2.8 and its a great lens. looked at the sigma 24-70 2.8 and the 28 -70 2.8 and the older 28-70 is much greater. you got to try the len and then deside if it meets your needs.

great adventure
08-08-2006, 02:32 AM
dear hs bob,

thank you very much for recommending me the 24 to 70 2.8
i already got 18 to 70 original nikor but not 2.8
now i am planning to buy 105 mm macro lens