PDA

View Full Version : Why does my trailer tug and yank at me?

Seakaye12
06-22-2006, 07:29 PM
Hi All,

Just bought me a new truck; a 1998 Ford F150. I'm pulling a 16' runabout that might weigh 2500 lbs (I had it weighed at the dump last year and they said about 1800...so the 2500 is erring on the high side...)

On anything except the smoothest of roads...the trailer yanks and tugs as it's going along....very tiring for the driver.

What are the sorts of things that can cause this?

Thanks for reading, Chuck

david martin
06-22-2006, 07:43 PM
How is the tongue weight?Is the boat properly set on the trailer?Also,are your bearings going bad?Are the tires trailer tires?
I have a boat that wondered all over the road until I reset the boat on the trailer.(more tongue weight)Changed the worn out bearings and replaced the tires with trailer tires and I have no problems towing the boat now.Good luck.
David

Jay R.
06-22-2006, 07:50 PM
most likely your tounge weight is too light. but he's also right about the tires, you need to have trailer tires. alot of people use car tires and there is a big difference.

Superdave
06-23-2006, 04:45 PM
I believe your tongue weight should be 10% of the total weight. Usually 100 to 150 lbs. Also, at what angle is the trailer on your new truck? The trailer should be somewhat level. If it is high in the front you need a dropp hitch. I found a world of difference in towing with a drop hitch compared to just using a ball on the bumper. ;)

150aintenuff
06-25-2006, 09:29 AM
need more tongue weight.. if its 2500 total or 1800 lbs of boat and 700 lbs of trailer you (assuming you are a healthy strong man or woman) should just be able to pick up the tongue.. if the boat its self is 1800 then minmum tongue weight is 150 lbs if total package total is 1800 than minimum tongue weight is 125 lbs... set a bathroom scale under the tongue jack or the rub stop under tounge and see what ya got... also you need to have her tow level.... tires dont matter that much just max the air pressure the problem is that people under inflate the car tires and the y struggle to support the weight so it tows hard... trailer tires hold 50-60 psi where car tires of the same size only hold 32-35... if a low profile look is what you want (like i did) go with a low profile pickup highway tred.. 60 psi and more load capacity

STV_Keith
06-26-2006, 12:33 AM
Single or tandem axle trailer? How much distance between the wheels (if tandem)?

SportJ-US-1
06-26-2006, 01:02 AM
If the tongue weight is right and you are my age you know why there are tonque jacks. Light tonque weight causes 90% of towing problems. As Superdave and 150aintenuff said, trailer level, expecially with tandem axles.

Seakaye12
06-26-2006, 08:56 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

Mine is a single axle trailer. Since the ball is on the truck's bumper (Class III Bumper) the trailer is not level.

I can move the boat forward a couple of inches and see what happens.

I'd like to pick up a used receiver hitch for this truck if anyone out there has one. ('98 Ford F-150). Then I could drop the ball down and level things out.

It seems like a lot of people use the bumper hitch though...which causes me to suspect that it's some other issue here.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Chuck

Seakaye12
06-26-2006, 09:18 AM
hehe...SportJ-US-1....how did you know that I just installed a trailer jack; eh?

Something cracked amoungst the vertebrae the last time I tried lifting the trailer....went right on down to West Marine and plunked down the credit card.

I've already got Power Tilt 'n Trim.....what's next for us oldies? Electric Winch????? Boaters' World has 'em on sale... :)

Thanks for reading, Chuck