PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Advice

tunnelmike
05-24-2006, 04:23 PM
Looking to get one soon and I'm not to literate on computer stuff. What do I need to look for ?? Wally World has a Kodak C-636 combo with printer dock for $299. 6.1 mega pixel . What else matters ? Thanks Mike

Maureen M
05-24-2006, 04:26 PM
Hi Mike -

Look for the highest optical zoom in your price range. Ignore digital zoom - it's worthless.

Maureen

Allison's Allison
05-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Never been a huge Kodak fan, but they are user friendly.

tunnelmike
05-24-2006, 04:32 PM
How is optical zoom listed ?? Remember im an idiot !! Mike

tunnelmike
05-24-2006, 04:39 PM
I never noticed the photo forum. Please move this thread there. Thanks Mike

Maureen M
05-24-2006, 04:53 PM
I never noticed the photo forum. Please move this thread there. Thanks Mike

Consider it done :)

the higher the optical zoom #, the better.
3x seems pretty common, but I was helping a woman at work pick a camera, and we found a Canon Powershot that had a 6x optical zoom.

Maureen

tunnelmike
05-24-2006, 04:57 PM
I'll do some more looking. I needed to know what I was looking for first ! I want quality personal pictures. One day I aspire to be half the photographer you and Greg are. Thanks for the help M. Mike

hsbob
05-25-2006, 09:20 AM
mike spend a little bit more and get the kodak 740 kit. its got a 10x optical zoom of arround 400mm equilivents. all cameras in this price range suffer sutter lag, so learn to prefocus you shots.

tunnelmike
05-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Dont they focus when you partially hold down the picture button ? You guy's have to remember I don't know jack ! I will be taking pictures of moving boats from moving boats so having to mess with focusing every shot will be a pain. I have been using a Kodak dx-6340 that I have for the shop. It only is a 3.1 mp but is more than enough for what we bought it for, sending e-mail photos of building materials that come in to me damaged. I can't take it with on longer than weekend trips due to most of my deliveries come in on Monday.
Thanks again for the help ,just remember to be specific in terminology so an ignorant to photography person can understand. Mike

hsbob
05-25-2006, 04:00 PM
most cameras will focus and determine exposure when you half way press the shutter button. at that point you can finish taking the picture very quickly. if you just push the shutter button it can take the better part of a second to actually take the picture. during that time the boat can be gone.

for example, my G-son was on a diving board ready to jump into a pool. pressed the shutter on a point and shoot camera and it took the picture when he came up out of the water. on my nikon d1x it actually took 5 picture in the same time. yes that the difference between slr and point and shoot[ as well as $$$$].

tunnelmike
05-25-2006, 04:17 PM
Slr will take an immidiate pic and point and shoot needs to pre focus ? Can I get into a slr camera with a dock or print station that will usb port into a pc for between $ 400- $500 ? I want to have somewhat of an idea what I want before I start shopping. I have never had a decent camera so I'm lost in all the details. Couple that with the born in the sixties and have very little computer skills gets you me ! Thanks for the help and patients. Mike

Scream And Fly
05-28-2006, 02:41 PM
Mike, point-and-shoot cameras are great if you don't want to get much into photo editing and manual camera controls. But - they are not so good for action shots. It all depends on what your budget and intended use fot the camera are. An SLR will blow a point and shoot camera away in terms of focus speed, image quality, and low light performance. That's not to say you can't get amazing results from a point and shoot camera, though. The good SLR cameras generally do away with the auto modes that point and shoot cams use, so that's another thing to consider.

No SLR camera uses a dock or printing station though, but they do use the USB port for image transfer. If you're looking for a good point and shoot, I prefer the Nikon models myself, but Canon makes some good ones as well. I never tried any of the Kodak or HP models, so I cannot comment on them.

If you want, you can call me if you need help - 239-297-4264 (cell). I'll also have a feature article that should help with this stuff pretty soon.

Also - which email address do you want me to send your wedding photos to? Do you have a high speed connection?

Greg

Rickracer
05-29-2006, 06:06 AM
It is 5.1MP, came with 128 mg card, has 3X optical zoom, and it was just under $200. I've been pretty amazed at the pics it takes. More zoom would be nice for some action shots though. :cool:

hsbob
05-31-2006, 01:35 PM
rick
are you sure the nikon 4600 is a 5.1 the review site list it as 4.2. was looking for more zoom for you. the older twist nikon had some adapter the would get to 400mm equ of zoom. check the model number and i'll look again.

Rickracer
05-31-2006, 08:39 PM
....I would have sworn the label on the demo said 5.1 but you're right. It has a 5.1-17.1mm zoom (34-102 3X Zoom - Nikkor lens, 35mm equivalent). Guess that goes to show ya I'm no photography pro, or even a good amateur. :( I'm still way happy with it though. :cool:

hsbob
06-01-2006, 12:06 PM
sorry rick i dont see any adapter for adding lens for the 4600. ps dont use the digital zoom on the camera. use the software, it does a better job.

Casey
06-01-2006, 02:32 PM
mike i have a nikon coolpix L1. it's a 6.2 with a 5x optical. i believe they discounted it, but you can still find them for less then $250

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25536

http://photography.search.ebay.com/nikon-coolpix-L1_Digital-Cameras_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR8QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ29997

Rickracer
06-01-2006, 06:35 PM
...couldn't seem to hold the camera steady enough. I knew the digital zoom wasn't going to be an advantage anyway, thanks to camera guru Greg. Thanks for looking for me though. :cool:

Scream And Fly
06-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Mike, I think you'll be extremely pleased with any Nikon model. The rule is, get the best you can afford. I have used many, many cameras and have always been partial to Nikon's models - consumer and professional alike. I would suggest avoiding HP and Kodak and stick with a camera brand that makes its own lenses. Olympus is also great, but I would choose Nikon first.

If you're looking for a great point and shoot that's very easy to use, with a powerful zoom, the Nikon S4 (http://www.nikondigitalusa.com/main.html?page=s4)is it. It's the successor to the famous E990 and 995 models. 10X zoom, 6 megapixels, and it's very small. Right now, they are available for about $300 - a REAL steal for the lens it has.

Just my opinion.

Greg

Rickracer
06-06-2006, 01:12 PM
...and it got me to wondering if your affinity for Nikon cameras might have started with Paul Simon and that song. :D :D :D

Scream And Fly
06-06-2006, 01:23 PM
lol, I don't think I ever heard that song. I do have an old Speedgraphic from like 1930 or so... ;)

jphii
06-06-2006, 01:27 PM
You younguns are somethin else! You mean you really have never heard Kodachrome?

Rickracer
06-06-2006, 08:56 PM
....it's a wonder I can think at all" ....."I got a Nikon Camera, love to take a photograph, Oh Mama don't take my Kodachrome away....." :D

tunnelmike
06-08-2006, 06:41 AM
How's the display screen in sunlight ?? They dont show that side of the camera. All those pics and video you used to post were taken with that Nikon ? Thanks for all the help guy's. Like I said I had no idea where to start. Mike

Scream And Fly
06-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Mike, the Coolpix cameras are GREAT little units. I use a 6 year-old E995 for product shots because it's very easy to position. As mentioned, I am partial to Nikon products, but I have used just about everything out there at some point. I use pro equipment for action stuff, but I'll also reach for my Coolpix for small detail work and general picture snapping.

You cannot go wrong with the L1 Casey mentioned. For the money though, you should consider the Coolpix S4, with its 10X zoom. I'm going to pick one up myself to replace my old 995, which has given me many years and tens of thousands of photos of great service.

hsbob
06-09-2006, 02:26 PM
if the s4 is halh as good as the 990 and 995 it'll be a great camera. it might also have the lens threads for adding extra telophoto and wide lens.

Scream And Fly
06-09-2006, 02:28 PM
No lens threads on the S4, nor does it have the manual modes of the 990/995. The 990/995 are legendary cameras, even by today's standards they are impressive. I'll never part with my 995.

Casey
06-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Mike most of the pics and all the video's i've posted this year were taken with my Nikon L1, but the more recent ones like the brazos get together and the ones from last weekend were taken with a Nikon D50. in the past i used my HP 318, Sony Cybershot DSC-P72, DSC-P41 and DSC-F717 all of which have taken a crap, expect for the HP which still looks and works like new.

the display is nice

hsbob
06-09-2006, 03:48 PM
sony's are noted for doing too much jpg compression. if you compress jpg too much you loose the color details.

halveb
08-24-2006, 12:04 PM
This is spooky, I was looking at this thread (considering a small digital camera for a belated b-day present for my wife) and I wasn't even paying attention to what was on the radio until I got to Rickracer's post on Kodachrome and then it hit me that song was playing right then. :eek: :D

Guess that means the camera is a good choice as a gift. Now back to reading the thread so I can figure out which one.

Scream And Fly
08-29-2006, 10:31 PM
Bob, if you need any help with that, call me anytime - 321-684-4092.

Greg

halveb
09-04-2006, 09:30 AM
Thanks Greg I will definetly take you up on that as you certainly know digital photography, looks like I will be delaying the purchase until Christmas. Later on the day I posted that I got a call from my cement contractor and due to heavy rains one of the basement walls of our new house caved in.

Until we sell our current house and get the new house finished I think I will crawl back into my financial shell. :) :eek:

Thankfully it happened at night and no one was around so no one was hurt. As it turns out the builder's insurance policy we took out will cover it but it will still delay the new house at least one month. We should be in hte new house in plenty of time to celebrate Christmas though. :)

Hottrucks
09-04-2006, 05:31 PM
Greg IS ebay a good place to shop for the S4 it seems like thats what I'll be looking into purchasing ( I lost mine like you did only I was in Tampa ) Looking for a good deal but not sure if I should hold out for the new S10 thats coming out soon??? What have you heard??

Jeff & Jodie

Scream And Fly
09-04-2006, 10:49 PM
Bob, I'm really sorry to hear that. Glad to hear that nobody was hurt, though. I'm here whenever you need me. :)

Jeff,

Myself, I would hesitate to buy a camera on Ebay. Your best bet is to get one from a reputable camera shop in case you need to return/exchange it.

I would skip the S4 and go for the S10 now - seems like the logical choice. I might pick one up to keep in my truck or something: http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25555

Greg