PDA

View Full Version : New Chevy Ride

JJB
05-21-2006, 01:43 PM
Picked up a new (new to me) truck last week, a 2004 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0 liter Crew Cab with all the options, man what a truck. I think the only thing that I could've had on the truck to make it better would be the diesel engine, but I got such a good deal I couldn't pass this up. The gas mileage sucks but it's not a every day drive vehicle for me and it does the job pulling the boat. Anyway heres a few pictures of the new ride.

JJB

p.s. I don't think I would ever buy another truck without four doors.

frank owen
08-22-2006, 12:21 PM
Nice Truck,i Have A 2001 Chevy Truck With The 4 Doors,how Did We Live Without Them?

Hot Shot Merc
08-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Nice truck.I agree about the four doors.I love the Quad Cab I have.:)

Ted Stryker
08-22-2006, 05:04 PM
All that I've ever had was regular cabs, they are impractical and I won't have another... The next one will have as many doors as I can find...

JJB
08-28-2006, 04:56 PM
I just put on a few upgrades on the truck two weeks ago starting with the K&N cold air kit, cat back single exhaust from MagnaFlow and the Hypertech computer upgrade. You can really feel the difference in the power, with all three upgrades it's putting just at 48 more HP and 44 Ftlbs of torque to the rear wheels. I went with the single exhaust because the MagnaFlow rep told me it produces more torque than the duals (but less horsepower) for better towing. I haven't noticed any fuel mileage increase as of yet as some of the claims made by the products, but that might be me keeping the pedal to the floor a little more than I used to.

JJB

Rob it's runs nice but not quite on par with your SRT 10

jerry
09-10-2006, 07:42 PM
whats the gas milage ?

JJB
09-11-2006, 01:58 PM
Jerry,
According to the computer the average (city/highway) is 10.6mpg.....strictly highway driving was 12.6mpg for one tank and 12.8 on another tank. So anyway you look at it the mileage sucks,.... but it'll pull just about anything you want....It pulls my 29' center console with twins like it wasn't even back there.
Thankfully I have a company vehicle that I use primarily so the only time I use the truck is on the weekend or when I pull the boat somewhere.

JJB

Hot Shot Merc
09-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Milage isnt a good subject with me:p I get about 8.4 in town on most days and about 11 or so on the highway if I am NOT pulling one of my boats:eek:

JJB
09-13-2006, 06:22 AM
Da^n Rob I thought I had it bad..............
You need to sell that truck and buy a Honda or Moped:)

James

1BadAction
09-13-2006, 07:30 AM
JJB- Don't feel slighted on the single exhaust. It'll flow more HP than that truck motor will make on the stock heads, and a correctly designed single will actually scavenge the exhaust better than duals with an X pipe.

If you can go with a custom tune, you will definately pick up some fuel mileage, along with a lot better throttle response. The stock TQ management lag sucks ass and makes the motor feel like a dog (because the throttle body has no direct link to your foot)...

Fish
09-13-2006, 07:38 AM
Sweet ride JJB!!! Don't beat yourself up on the mileage too much, I only get 12 in my SUV with a little 4.7L v8 (11 towing my stv), and I know it would totally puke trying to pull your center console. Definitely a kick azzzzz ride man.

later,

fish

barr151
12-20-2006, 06:18 PM
have you used a custom tune? I have been thinking about it but have not made my mind up. I see there are a couple of vendors doing it on a another forum. Whats been your experience so far?

Steven
12-23-2006, 10:33 PM
i just bought an 03 with 42,000 miles just like yours except mines the peuter color. i really like mine too except for the mileage. it get 11.5- 12.5 driving to town and back (4 miles). i went ahead and put dual exhaust on mine and cant tell any difference. i've been hearing about "economy chips" for them. anyone heard anything like that? im going to chip it anyway, just dont know where to get one. be careful with your side mirrors, $234.00, lens only!!:D

JJB
12-24-2006, 11:43 PM
Steven,
I used the Hypertech computer programer it seems to work great. You notice a difference in performance all be it small and usually at the upper rpm range. As far as gas mileage I just came back from a hunting trip in North Florida which was 302 miles one way and averaged 10.9 mpg running between 75-85mph. Even when I'm running slower I haven't seen the increase in fuel mileage that Hypertec, K&N, and Magnaflow claims you get.
While hunting a friend of mine up North has the same identical truck except with the 6.6 Duramax deisel and for kicks we ran the trucks side by side......he has the hyperteck programer and cold air kit and he smoked my a$$. I never even got close, to be honest I thought I had my truck in reverse. Needless to say I thinking about trading my truck in for a duramax.

James

rossi
01-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Yesss....now thats a real truck and a real towing machine. The 5.3 and 6.0 are bulletproof. Nice truck !!!

1BadAction
01-19-2007, 10:07 PM
have you used a custom tune? I have been thinking about it but have not made my mind up. I see there are a couple of vendors doing it on a another forum. Whats been your experience so far?
Barr- I just seen this today. If you get a good custom tune you won't regret it. one of THE best things you can so to these new vehicles. Its just all around better running.

barr151
01-20-2007, 06:22 AM
I appreciate it. I have it narrowed done to two vendors.