PDA

View Full Version : verado reliability

ptextreme
05-14-2006, 01:46 PM
does anyone have a 250 or 275 verado?I was wondering how many hours on them, and how they are holding up. hows the power and fuel consumption compared to the opti's. any reports from the water patrol, or coastguard? I know they will put the time on them quickly. I have thought of repowering or just purchasing a new boat with new power, I have looked at the 300hpdi, the verado, and the 259 merc xs, I'm not sure wich way to go. If I repower I'll never get my money out of it, but thens there is no payment.a lot of the boat I see have verados.

150aintenuff
05-14-2006, 09:36 PM
so far so good is the reports I hear.. with only an ocational small and easily fixed gremmlin or 2 here and there... if your looking at the 300 HPDI why not look at the merc 300XS rather than the 250xs... and get your $$$$ worth.. what kind of hull is this going on.. the verado is alot heavier than a similar HP conventional 2 stroke and not every hull will handle their aditional weight on the transom (figure around 700 LBS with prop, full of oil and with steering system hooked up) the thing about verados is that NONE of your existing rigging is compatible... and there is no option other than the DTSand electrohydraulic powersteering... also because they are all digital your gauges will mostlikly have to be replaced with smartcraft compatible guages as well.... verados arent exactially repower friendly in those aspects... where as the other motors all can use your existing rigging if its still in good shape.. just a few things to think about....

ptextreme
05-15-2006, 05:36 AM
any idea when the 300merc will be out? I have had new production motors before, and they have all had problems, especially the 98 ficht I had. do you think that the 300 would use more fuel than the 250opti, or the 250efi that I currently have.

150aintenuff
05-15-2006, 09:42 PM
june is when it rolls out but it released at miami... may use slightly more fuel than the 250 opti but about the same as a conv.250 the main difference between the 250 opti and the 300 opti is the fact it is stroked to 3.2 L and they slightly tweeked the ECM for more fuel to feed the larger displacement so reliability shouldnt be a big issue..

Scream And Fly
05-17-2006, 04:49 PM
There are many more differences between the 250 and 300 OptiMax engines. Different injector pressure, different porting, different exhaust routing, F-1 reeds, etc. The 300 is actually quite unique. :) Don't forget that the 300 OptiMax also has the option for the heavy duty transom bracket assembly.

Greg

Stinky
05-17-2006, 09:32 PM
they slightly tweeked the ECM

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

:cool:

150aintenuff
05-17-2006, 09:41 PM
so stinky are you saying the fuel curve and timing curves are identical to the 250XS on the 300....

Stinky
05-18-2006, 06:43 AM
so stinky are you saying the fuel curve and timing curves are identical to the 250XS on the 300....

No, I'm saying they are a little more than tweeked. And theres a lot more than just fuel and spark.

:cool:

150aintenuff
05-19-2006, 01:33 AM
tweeked mighnt not been the right wording.. but my point was the ECM was different. among other things... most note worthy the fact its a stroked version of a proven design.. it isnt like you guys had to reinvent the wheel like the verado.. isnt the 3.2l based upon the current 3.0L block that has been proven to be a reliable platform, which was the gentlemans main concern being that its a new motor.. or am i once again lookin at things wrong... i may be argumentitive dence and down right dumb at times but i am trainable..

Scream And Fly
05-19-2006, 01:36 AM
I don't think anything that is different about the 300XS will affect its reliability in any way. It should be just as reliable as any OptiMax.

Liquid Force
05-23-2006, 09:59 PM
here in NZ we have a guy running a pair of 275hp Verados on an offshore powerboat, he races it quite regularly offshore and to the best of my knowledge has never had any issues with them, thats a pretty good testment to there reliabilty I would think.

Markus
05-24-2006, 12:05 PM
isnt the 3.2l based upon the current 3.0L block that has been proven to be a reliable platform

Well, usually it is not the block that causes problems with an engine... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

mad dan
05-29-2006, 07:05 PM
I have a customer that has three 275 verados on a 38 yellow fin,with a little over 600 hrs on them.Had a lot of problems,but nothing to major other than the clutch dog cutting the gear case in half on the port engine.They are very durable,center engine ran about 50 miles four liters low on oil,They hold seven.