PDA

View Full Version : any one tuned a Honda?

jonn
05-10-2006, 12:47 PM
has anyone any expeiriance with playing with honda vtec (150 & 225) engines and what do the best respond too? any thoughts welcome! cheers

Dave S
05-11-2006, 07:24 PM
And where are we from?:D We need more ??? like yours and the world is changing.:) I kinda like-have the OLD merc, smelly, foul not EPA motor..... :D But it runs and is easy to fix.:)

jonn
05-12-2006, 03:34 AM
i know 4strokes are really not cool and are a pain in the arse when it comes to working on them. i just wondered if the relm has been explored at all, i think the new vtec 150 and 225 definetly have some potential.

action280
05-29-2006, 07:11 PM
Not sure if this will do anything at all but i've seen like 100 or more RSX's that share the same block and head as the 150 HONDA making 250 plus hp at the wheels naturally aspirated on the dyno and shifting at 9000 plus rpm's. Potential? hell yes but it will take some time and $$$$$$$$$$$$$ plus someone to play with them.:rolleyes:

1BadAction
06-26-2006, 03:01 PM
250hp n/a honduh? gutless! you gonna do a 7000 rpm clutch dump to get the boat out of the hole? Muahahahahaha.

hsbob
06-26-2006, 04:14 PM
anyone have any information on the honda that hydrostream had a coup[le years ago.

stray cat
08-23-2006, 09:28 PM
I'm waitin for Honda ta stand an S-2000 motor on it's end and stick a lower unit on.

150aintenuff
08-23-2006, 09:33 PM
jessie james put NOS on a 225.... does that count??? but it weent on a toon... so maybe not...

150aintenuff
08-23-2006, 09:34 PM
I'm waitin for Honda ta stand an S-2000 motor on it's end and stick a lower unit on.

good luck.....

1BadAction
08-24-2006, 08:24 AM

refer to 7000rpm clutch dump statement above. unless you want to spin a 12pitch with 2:1 gears :rolleyes:

stray cat
08-25-2006, 02:21 PM
Even thou we be just dreamin. I've driven an S-2000 and NOT dumping the clutch at 7000 rpm(that would be 2000 rpm below tha factory redline) that little 2.0ltr will push a car over 150 mph with the top down and 2 folks in the car. I've seen quite a few small blocks and a number of big blocks that couldn't do the same. I dont care where you come from 125 hp per ltr is nothin ta sneeze at and it comes with a 3yr 36,000 mi warrenty. Still think a lower unit needs to hung off one.

1BadAction
08-25-2006, 02:50 PM
correct, because the s2000 has a really deep gear in the rear end and a 6 speed tranny to get it moving. :rolleyes: HP per L is a joke when it takes more torque to tighten the lugnuts than the engine makes at redline. People love to quote that HP/L, but in reality it doesnt mean crap, hp/lb is the only thing that counts.

on the water for high performance, no usable piston engine is going to beat the HP per pound of a 2 stroke. sure someone could make a 250hp 2 litre honduh on a midsection, but it sure as hell isnt going to get any normal boat moving... not to mention, just the ENGINE is heavier than a complete ready to run F1 2 stroke, and still about 100hp short. :cool:

stray cat
08-25-2006, 03:02 PM
correct, because the s2000 has a really deep gear in the rear end and a 6 speed tranny to get it moving. :rolleyes: HP per L is a joke when it takes more torque to tighten the lugnuts than the engine makes at redline. People love to quote that HP/L, but in reality it doesnt mean crap, hp/lb is the only thing that counts.

on the water for high performance, no usable piston engine is going to beat the HP per pound of a 2 stroke. sure someone could make a 250hp 2 litre honduh on a midsection, but it sure as hell isnt going to get any normal boat moving... not to mention, just the ENGINE is heavier than a complete ready to run F1 2 stroke, and still about 100hp short. :cool:
Listen I agree about Hp/lb that holds with stuff on dry ground also (power to weight) it is torque that gets things moving ( what you feel in your ass) but its the horsepower that pulls the big end. By the by I was under the impression that even 2 strokes have pistons.

pyro
08-25-2006, 03:38 PM
any one tuned a Honda?

K&N intake pipe = 20 hp gain
Fart can exhaust = 100 hp gain
Remove cowling = 40 lbs (?) weight savings

A body kit also will make it go faster.

150aintenuff
08-25-2006, 07:59 PM
what does that S 2000 hunduh weigh... even if it is 375 LBS yer short on HP, short on torque and short on Redline from even a merc Drag motor.... and there is more HP to be found in that LARGER more cylinders motor than merc ever gave it... even at its first 265hp rating the merc drag spins higher, has more total torque than the hunduh, and less weight to boot..... the only real difference in the S2000 and the 4 cyl accord motor (honduh 150 OB) is the heads, cams, and exhaust system.. but all that tuning kills the botom end so that it takes a lot of REVS or GEARING to get it moving.... sure it goes 150 BUT it also is a ultra small car.... but ALAS I know of several SMALL BLOCK powered VETTE's that will do 150+ with alot less hp/Litre... and weigh alot more than that honduh does...

150aintenuff
08-25-2006, 08:07 PM
K&N intake pipe = 20 hp gain
Fart can exhaust = 100 hp gain
Remove cowling = 40 lbs (?) weight savings

A body kit also will make it go faster.

love the sarcasim

now for the realities...

OK whatever....... KN intake pipe... only helps if you actually get more air into the area where the air intake inlet actually resides....

Fart can... RIGHT!!!! lets see lets go from a 1" header, and cat to a 1.5" pipe and put a 4" "tip" on it so it sounds cool... no gain there????

and just how does adding weight to the front of a car and the sides and back make it go faster?????????

gotta love tuner car freaks and their ideas...

now this is how you gain power

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:MkF2wXLbY8dWnM:http://www.capa.com.au/pics/turbo_kits_petrol_rx7s4s5b.jpg

stray cat
08-26-2006, 10:33 AM
Listen folks we are talkin 4 strokes . I don't think were gonna see a 350 or a 454 or even a 502 as an outboard. Even if you don't like it, 4 strokes are gonna be the future. Me I love the 2 stroke outboards. I wouldn't have anything else on the back of my boat. But that is the only place for a 2 stroke. I just can't stand that Ding Ding Ding noise that they make in the smaller engine apps. Does anyone here have any experience with the Honda turbo ski?

Monkstr6
08-26-2006, 02:16 PM
Two strokes cn and have been used for tons of things. Check out my webshots page and you will see my 1972 Suzuki LJ20 "Jeep" that is powered by a 359cc TWO stroke. Find me another jeep that you can just stand on the petal and rev the hell out of it and not fear blowing it up. Motors like the Evenrude E-tec are what our future will be full of. I have already seen a decline in the honda 4stroke outboard since they started "taking over" the market. And by the way, I love the way my jeepster rattles and dings, it is what makes it so different and awsome. Just my 2 cents. Zach

thundercat900
09-11-2006, 10:02 AM
I reccomend going to Walmat in the "import isle" and installing some sweet new "Racing SiR" Decals or wire in some neon lighting.. its a sure fire way to make any punks civic fast Ive found.. I loved the body kit idea... wow.. you guys.. :D too funny :D

captcarb
09-13-2006, 07:59 PM
To get back the original question:

A friend of mine did an experiment on a 225 that belonged to Honda. He put a nose cone on it and did some speed tests and drag raced it on a Norriscraft bass boat.

The Norriscraft went 80 with the 225 Honda and 85 with a Merc 200 xri. The prop in both cases was a 26 performance propeller 4 blade Yamaha looking thing.

The Honda weighed about 240 lb more than this particular Mercury, and was too heavy for the boat.

It lost all of the drags and went 80 in the quarter with a 22. It happened in the spring of 2003 and the numbers are from my friends memory. He is a senior citizen like me so take it all for what it is worth.

It was quieter and burned way less fuel than the Merc though.

The project was done as a test evaluation for Honda, and they came and got the motor afterward.

jim

150aintenuff
09-13-2006, 11:50 PM
sounds about par for a 4 joke...

Lockjaw
09-24-2006, 01:20 PM
A guy here has to run his street tired one through the water box to get it to spin enough to not bog at the drag strip. All the rest of us sure do appreciate his driving through the water box and NOT heating his tires up. Sure makes me feel safe.

The only way you could make a Honda run better, is to pressurize it, be it turbo or supercharger, or you could add NOS. So if you can turn it 9k, big deal, you would need NOS to get it out of the hole and moving. It cost me 40 bucks last time I filled my bottle, so be the judge.

I am not knocking their outboards necessarily, I think in certain instances you could have one on a hull and really enjoy it. Just not on mine.

150aintenuff
09-24-2006, 01:29 PM
I wont tell you what NOS actually costs to produce and fill then.... you would be rather annoyed...

1BadAction
09-24-2006, 04:44 PM
stop calling it nos, thats what poser ricers call it. its NITROUS.

pyro
09-24-2006, 05:19 PM
"I need NOS. Two bottles. Big ones." :rolleyes: yank - yank

150aintenuff
09-24-2006, 05:24 PM
how about N2O.... NOS is a brand... but product is the same.

150aintenuff
09-24-2006, 05:27 PM
"I need NOS. Two bottles. Big ones." :rolleyes: yank - yank

sorry pyro... the bottles is what cost so much... :rolleyes:

1BadAction
09-24-2006, 06:19 PM
N2o is fine too... the Nos thing just irritates me.

Hey pyro, dont you know the HP increase is directly related to the number of bottles? :rolleyes: (sarcasm) :D

pyro
09-24-2006, 07:03 PM
"I need a bigger fart can too!"

150aintenuff
09-24-2006, 08:48 PM
that isnt chrome so it doesnt count for the HP gain of some of the Shiny ones....

sho305
09-25-2006, 07:09 PM
I got a nice 3" tip at wallymart, its SS and even has some packing in it. I'm going to put it on my golfcart and see if it goes faster...:D

I have a little turbo 2.0 and a normal 2.0, both DOHC. I don't have to tell you what one gets out of its own way. If I remember right the new Dodge caliber turbo is all aluminum and 300hp....I think that is one to look at for an outboard. Then again, you see what the world's #1 outboard manufacturer came up with....the Verado. You will not get any torque without forced induction, but with it you have plenty.

Lockjaw
09-26-2006, 05:46 AM
I call it Nitrous, but spell it NOS, which is still a way far cry from the Fast and furious crowd calling it naws.

Man what a bunch of morons. I wanted to slap every one of them on that movie. What kills me is my step son thinks that movie is like the holy grail or something. If only he knew it was mostly pure fantasy.

sho305
09-26-2006, 01:37 PM
And what did they have, three stage N2O? All I could think of was broken rods flying out of the block or melted pistons every time they hit one of those magic buttons...

Problem with those films is they don't know what they are doing. I've done way more rubber smoking powerslides than I will ever see in films; they just don't get it. They need to watch a rally race and see where fast driving is at. I even saw one of my old favorites on the tube the other day, smoky and the bandit, and it was weak. My T/A had no problem laying tracks so I don't know what was wrong with that car. I could get rid of tires in no time without using the brakes or anything, and that is considered a slow muscle car. It spun anytime you hit the gas in first....yeah, and that was fun.:)