PDA

View Full Version : VRO and Oil??? New idiot boater

ports1234
05-08-2006, 09:35 PM
I just bought my first boat. '86 pontoon with an evinrude 60. I assumed I had to mix 50:1 and used it until no oil alarm came on. With plenty of fuel, I was confused and discovered that I had an oil reservoir. (i guess you call that a VRO?) It was bone dry. I added oil to it. After a minute or two with the engine running, the alarm quit. How bad did I screw up??? and will the 50:1 in the fuel tank hurt me too??? please advise me, I know I'm an idiot!

dma251
05-08-2006, 10:35 PM
I'm no expert like some on here, but I bet by running 50:1 you saved your motor from some damage when you inadvertantly ran it without oil in the oil tank.

Not sure what VRO stands for, but if it's got a seperate oil tank, then the engine mixes it's own oil/fuel ratio. fill up the tank with oil, find someone on here to explain how to prime the oil injecting system (or just run it a little longer with the 50:1 to get the straight oil flowing) and enjoy your new boat.

inspectorlance
05-09-2006, 12:59 AM
As long as you have 50/1 mix in the gas tank, then your ok. When I unhooked my VRO"variable rate oiler" I just unplugged , and removed the oil tank, and unplugged the VRO on the side of the block . then just run 50/1 oil in the gas tank. Im sure someone else will chime in and tell us if there are any other detailes.

Lance