PDA

View Full Version : '96 Sleekcraft w/ 265HP Evin

Sleekster
04-17-2001, 09:37 PM
21' 3" Sleekcraft Mod VP open bow w/ a '96 Evin worked over by the Bakers to 265-270HP, still no pistons yet
Solid mounts
New CMC hydraulic jackplate,
Dual cable steering,
Soon to install L&S foot throttle (Thanks Aquaholic for a good buy)
Soon to have made/ install 12" static setback (Way to go Bay Design, Inc)plus the CMC when that happens, new steering will be needed- either hydraulic or dual cable (Open to ideas)
Seats 12, but only on a trip from Cuba,
Holley blue pump,
60 gal fuel capacity
Three lowers -- one w/ L&S nose low water p/u, stock, and soon to be some other brand (Bob's, or will take suggestions)
Steer n Trim coil-less from Bob's but the turn signal style through Rickracer has me thinking.

Been shopping recently for a cement mixer V8 since Al Stoker among others say no to the twin-450#-motors-on-the-back-of-an-approximate-1400#-boat idea (One of the lowers is counter-rotating) Finding a reliable 8 is the issue

Props(2) (LH & RH) 19p and (2) (LH & RH) 21p Lasers, 23p Renegade (4 blade), 28p Raker never worked, and a 30p Quicksilver I'm told was butchered

I think an ET or SRX might be the speed prop after I get a baseline

Never run the rig, so no numbers yet.

Other plans include, adding tunnel extentions, 12"x 12", turning tripod ski pole into a mono pole, thanks to Wave42 (from the UK) who made some drawings for me, reinforcing the transom by beefing up the knees that are there, blue printing the hull next winter, adding a hydrofoil (also thanks to Wave42), installing my new Alpine amp and a 12" base. Either adding Stoker's heads or Hot Heads (Also open to ideas) and maybe sending them to Jay S to fin them for me (Cool look Jay). Waiting for a price on a '97 intake (also open to ideas)

Am I forgetting anything?

XBuddawg
04-22-2001, 08:42 AM
Sounds like ya gonna have ya hands full for a while! Hurry up and that thang runnin', and bring it down in July fer some "Radar Runs" with da Big Boats! We gonna tear 'em UP!...lol..(long as the lake is smooth)

I sent ya an e-mail. Maybe ya can find dem pistons!

Later,
Buddy

PS: nuttin' personal, but don't put 12 Cubans in der... unless they are cigars...LOL...

Sleekster
04-22-2001, 09:13 AM
Buddy,

I'll send you some pics that Barney scanned for me. No action shots yet. It really rides nice though...at least on the trailer. If I hammer the throttle, does that mean my boat can do over 120 mph? Or is on the trailer cheatin'?

Block's already bored. .020 over wisecos must be worth gold. I only need 6. I don't want to post my issues about the pistons untill the dust settles and what's gonna get resolved, gets resolved.

Looks like the setback and steering cables are going to have to wait. Boating season is here and I'm motor-less.....don't want to spend time doing something now that will get in the way of using the thing. Winter riggin' jobs need to be done in the winter. Whata ya think?

I'll check my e.

Oh, I bought the boat/motor after the previous owner ignored the warning lights and horns and "the motor just stopped". Heads were multi-color-- still glowing after months of sitting-- the plastic thermos were melted into the passages, and of course the rectifier was toast. Already bought that new pre-OMC troubles. I think I'll need a bunch more electronics - like a coupla (maybe 6) coils (have 'em), and anything else that has wire connected to it. But, I don't know for sure. Going to put the thing together in a friend's OMC Outboard shop with him looking over my shoulder.....OK, OK, maybe it will end up I'M looking over HIS shoulder. I've done a couple of loopers, but I do come up short (no pun intended) on diagnosing electrical stuff. I'll keep you posted on the progress.....see how optomistic I am.

Oh yeah, I'll have to pass on the 12 cigars too, started smoking all over again after "just having one cigar". Been off the cancer sticks for 8 or 9 years now. Don't want to go back, and I could.

Instigator
04-24-2001, 06:50 PM
Yoh Gregger! Got that damn thing back together yet?? I coulda cast those pistons in the garage using old Bud Light cans by now!! If all goes well for me I'll have three scattered Loopers on the garage floor by this weekend! Also have direct cable/pulley steering out of an old F-1 boat on its way for the Vector. Think I'm gonna back the black motor far enough in the water to make sure I've got my starting problem fixed then tow it home and strip it so I can sell the motor for FrankenRude parts and also hopefully be able to get the boat in garage to start work. Also I'm looking for a donor block to practice my porting ideas on------you're not using yours right now are you?? Might come back with a power band of 8500-8510 RPM's but it'll look cool! On your piston deal, can't you get Wisecos direct?? Or cancel your order with Baker and call Rick Racer. He was a big help on my controls for the Sonic. Keep me posted Bro! (and good luck w/your pistons!) Instigator

Sleekster
04-25-2001, 07:05 AM
You need to have three, its a great number. Putting them back together and having fun using the boat during boating season is the tough part. But you have the drive and energy, not like me, I'm and old fart.

The Wisecos are on back order b/c they are changing them -- among other things, they are teflon coating them. Let's see, I've lost track of time....but 4 weeks sounds right so far. I talked w/ Jeff yesterday and he assured me I am first in line to get a set when Wiseco releases the pistons. I hope that doesn't mean I am their R&D. But new is always better, right???? Yea. He said, Wiseco said about another 10-14 days. Even my supplier here said the back order is accross the board. Notin' you can do when someone's not putting out.

So, when I want a ride in the boat, I trailer it to the top of a hill and get in it, and have someone else pull the pin on the trailer. Now THAT's Screamin' an Flyin'. I'm not sure its Scary Fast though.....

Thanks for asking.

Oh yea, I don't doubt you have the recylable aluminum to do the work. How much you askin? You got me interested.

Instigator
04-26-2001, 06:52 AM

Sleekster
04-26-2001, 07:30 AM
TOOOOOOO funny. But you know, 5 pistons are better than none?! Hum, how much you sellin' the V5 for?

You know, we boaters who like to go fast and waiting don't go well together. Like lower unit oil and water. It would be a perfect world if all outboards never failed. That's all I ask.

Everything in its time. Motor's running, Sunbathing, Waterskiing.....a coupla speed runs, life is good. Well, back to reality. Gonna go find another hill.

jim jesella
04-29-2001, 06:27 AM
Sorry Greg that is not a MVP boat. They were 20' 2" SST MVPs. You have a family boat, HEAVY. Try a 300X to make it go.

Sleekster
04-29-2001, 08:06 PM
Thanks Jim. I've tried like hell to get some info on my hull from Sleekcraft. Zero. Barney told me they are into BIG stuff. I'm a small fish I guess.

OK Virus, you have made Offshore, now there is a growing number of those of us w/ family boats, so how about a new section? Please disregard my above request. Please.

vishus
04-30-2001, 05:37 PM
Sleekster,

I have a 1984 SST Comp hull, and I have been doing a bunch of research into it and Sleekcraft. You are correct in that Sleekcraft(Magic) is into the BIG hulls. Lake Pleasant (PHX, AZ) area is littered with the beasts. Bruce Nescher (originator of Sleekcraft) and his wife Candy, sold out the company awhile back, and moved to Havasu to start Conquest boats (family style hulls). Bruce passed away late last year, and Candy has since sold Conquest (she is still working there). She was kind enough to tell me a few tales about the Sleekcrafts, and turned me onto Ted Bravo (of Muscleboats), who gave me some interesting insight into the ModVP era hulls. For example, I have a Comp hull that has a built in setback with the pad extending BEYOND the sponsons, kind of unique. Some other GREAT sources of Sleekcraft info are Ron Hill and BK, both raced the SST hulls in the mid 80s!! Good luck with your hull, whenever I find some spare $$$, I hope to restore my hull, and add a 2.5EFI (they drag race these things in the Desert!!! this past weekend the IHBA boys were in town, they come back in Oct for the WinterNationals/Championships!! always a couple of fast clamp-ons in the 9/10/11/12 second classes!!)

later bud,

sid

Sleekster
04-30-2001, 09:22 PM
sid,

I was really pleased to see your post. How is the site going. Virus could tell you how much work you got yourself into w/ it. If you email me, I'll send you pictures of my hull.

I called Conquest Boats, where they were extremely helpful. But unfortunately, my hull was made by Sleekcraft after the sell-out. There were only a couple outboard models made--in the 21' 3" size. At first Sleekcraft told me they don't remember making my hull (Oh great) then they thought that a couple were made(Yup, we're getting warmer b/c I'm looking at one).

When you get some pictures, I'd like to see the pad extension. Sounds VERY interesting. I guess it was to direct water flow or keep the lower from cutting a new path in the water.?! How far back is it going behind the sponsons? Don't worry L.T. and Instigator, I won't put that on my boat. YET.

Hope the $$$ frees itself up so you can the Sleek going. I'm sure you saw Jim's post above, I bought a slow boat. Still no pistons yet, so right now it is REEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY Slow.

Great site Virus, Thanks.

Barney
05-07-2001, 11:52 PM
Lots of setback.

Saw your hull in Havasu, last picture in "The Channel".

Looks a little heavy for that 265!

Sleekster
05-08-2001, 06:35 AM
Great shots Barney. And well, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but um, well, you are wrong THIS time. Although there is a Sleekster upgrade fund, just make checks payable to.....

Hey, I was just wondering....? Is there a reason one shot is blurry? We know you, probably just a case of doing two things at once.

I agree on the setback. 17.5" might not be enough.

Sleekster
05-11-2001, 04:57 PM
OPENNED PACKAGE TO BE SURE STOP THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO DROP STOP WRENCHES IN HAND STOP NOW FORMING PLANS FOR MARATHON REBUILD STOP ONLY LOST A WEEK BECAUSE OF BMS FAILURE TO HAVE PISTONS DROP-SHIPPED STOP INTENSE DOMESTIC FRONT HAS LITTLE EFFECT STOP THANKFULLY SUMMER IS NOT OVER STOP WISH ME LUCK AND GOD'S SPEED STOP WILL WRITE MORE AFTER BREAK-IN STOP

Scott
05-14-2001, 02:24 PM
Sleekster
Far be it from me to impose but I could be at yer place in an hour, I know how helpful it can be to have an extra hand around? I'll even bring the digital to get it all on "film" for posterity!! Glad to hear you got those pesky round clyindrical thingys! Good luck and keep wrenchin'.

Scott

Sleekster
05-14-2001, 07:54 PM
Scott,

After the thing gets finished (Work has gotten in the Damn way) I'd be honored to have you aboard...got plenty of space for the helper (or leader) Kath. My girls would welcome another female.

I'm in no rush. Tons of other stuff going on that demands a distraction.

I might take you up on the offer for the help.

Unfortunately, it will be a while before I'm over your way. I'd like to see the boat bottom first hand. Your pics are great by the way.

I'll e-ya and

Scott
05-15-2001, 10:05 AM
Sleekster

First let me apologoize, I sure didn't mean to invite myself, I really don't do that. I know the work thing that's for sure! I opened the pool last weekend, what a mistake! the Oaks and every other tree in the area are dropping "things" and they all seem to make their way to the pool and cover, what a mess. Made the mistake of fertilizing the yard which now seems to need mowing every other day, even w/o the rain. The boat seems to be a distant second at times, but I manage to sneak in an hour or two to make some progress! Sendin' ya e-mail re: motors

Thanks!
scott

Sleekster
05-15-2001, 04:15 PM
If it makes you feel better, how about this -- "Hey Scott and Kathy, how about a ride when I get this motor together?"

Seriously, Not an issue for me.

Are you over by Rolling and Route 40? The garage looks familiar.

Scott
05-15-2001, 09:34 PM
Thats almost scary!

Yup! You sir have a great eye! Yes as a matter of fact We are! Just up the road from Rolling Rd. We're off Johnnycake at Rt. 40 between Mr.G's and Garlands. Address is 1213 McAdoo Ave. I bought the place about 10 yrs. ago just before I met Kathy. 2 driveways (one of which I always said was for a boat, funny how things work out) good size garage, full basement and a shed bigger than the last appartment I rented. It's still a nice area with decent hard workin' lawn mowin' taxpayers! Thanks for the invite, you are a gentleman and a schollar and theres darn few of us left! Lookin' foreward to meetin' you, the kids and the Mrs.

Scott

Scott
05-15-2001, 09:40 PM
Just noticed :D

I'm a MEMBER ! and I did it the ol' fashoned way! By blabbering on about nothing in particular! BTW Sleekster that pic of Kath with the sandpaper was staged don't ya know, she refers to the Baha as "that thing thats gonna keep her from useing the garage this winter" Actually I'm lucky she supports all my projects, at least she knows where I am LOL

Scott

Sleekster
05-16-2001, 06:03 PM
Go ahead and unlock that shed and let the kids out. They can come for a boat ride too. What the heck, you can remove the duck tape from their mouths too.

Doesn't everyone do that stuff? Guess I should be careful, some goober might just think I'm serious.

I'll eya &

Scott
05-17-2001, 08:22 AM
OK I'll let um' out...

But the duck tape stays on! No need to set a precedent at this point!